1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Kenwood Ksc-sw1 Powered Subwoofer

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by razz8085, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Apr 22, 2008 at 12:17 PM
    razz8085

razz8085 [OP] Member

Member:
    Here's a pretty good all-in-one alternative to putting in an amp, subs, and custom enclosure.

KENWOOD KSC-SW1 DUAL 6.5" POWERED ENCLOSED SUBWOOFER

It fits perfectly in the storage bin right behind the passenger side rear seats without any kind of mounting. Sits on top of the removable dividers that go in the bin and also held up by the hook for the child restraint. It doesn't move at all once you put the rear seat back up. I tested it out by doing some rapid braking and it does not bounce around at all. Also, you can tuck all the extra wiring inside the hollow cross bar for a clean install.

There is also a KENWOOD KSC-SW10 which is a later version of this powered sub. It does not have as many good reviews as the model I have but is smaller and could fit in the driver side storage bin instead.

Here are some pics:

DSC00529re.jpg
    DSC00528re.jpg

2. Apr 22, 2008 at 4:10 PM
    atsaubrey

atsaubrey Dealer/Sales Rep for Sundown Audio.

Member:
    california
    Vehicle:
    blue 2007 double cab
    Sundown Audio 100.4 and 1500D, Pioneer 880PRS, Zapco Refernece 6.5" comps, 2 10" Image Dynamics IDQ, 200ft of Second Skin deadener, Kicker wire
    How does it sound is the question? I obtained one of those and it was way less then desired.

3. Apr 22, 2008 at 4:25 PM
    razz8085

razz8085 [OP] Member

Member:
    What do you mean when you say way less than desired? Is it not loud enough or do you think the sound quality is poor. As far as sound quality, I think it has a very clean tight sounding bass. I've had 8's, 10's, and 12's before and this little thing sounds way better to me. I've also got the volume turned way down, probably to about a third of full capacity. To me, if things in the cabin are rattling or people can hear me with the windows in both cars rolled up, it's too loud. Maybe it just sounds cleaner at lower volumes.

It might be a matter of tuning it. I typically turn the bass off, tune all the other speakers first, and then add the bass so that it doesn't overpower the rest of the system. Maybe you just need to play with it a bit.

4. Sep 30, 2008 at 12:29 PM
    bajaracer

bajaracer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Charly
    Chandler
    Vehicle:
    05 PRERUNNER DBLCAB SPORT 4.0
    AEM DRY BRUTE FORCE, FLOWMASTER 50 SERIES, 285/70/17 BFG'S AT KO2'S MOTO METALS 17X8 885's with 5100's LOUD STEREO
    how much?

5. Sep 30, 2008 at 12:33 PM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    Features:

• [*]Powered, enclosed subwoofer with 6-1/2" driver and 6-1/2" passive radiator
      [*]Built-in amplifier: 75 watts RMS
      [*]Frequency response: 35-160 Hz
      [*]Wired remote for control over:
      • Gain control
      • Variable low-pass crossover (50-120 Hz)
      • Selectable phase control (0°, 180°)
      [*]Power/ground wiring harness with fuse included
      [*]Preamp (RCA) and speaker-level inputs
      [*]Dimensions: 15-3/4"W x 3-3/4"H x 9"D

6. Sep 30, 2008 at 12:39 PM
    oldtacomaguy

oldtacomaguy four forty four

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SE Conn.
    Vehicle:
    08 SR-5 4WD Impulse Red Pearl
    Alpine deck and amp, Polk speakers front and rear, Kenwood subwoofer, windows tinted to 20%, Sockmonkey decals, TSB, Eibach springs and Bilstein 5100's
    It sounds good enough for me.
    [​IMG]

7. Sep 30, 2008 at 12:45 PM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Trail, 88 pickup, Tundra Platinum
    A few bolts are different.
    thats killer I didn't even know that was out there!

8. Oct 14, 2008 at 2:56 AM
    Choco Taco

Choco Taco Sprayin' Paint like Its my Job

Member:
    South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    01 D-CAB SR5
    2" Lift 265/75/16' MT's Homemade Prerunner Bar
    how do oyu wire it? does it just use the pre-outs and ground wire a normal amp does?

9. Oct 14, 2008 at 11:20 AM
    boogie

boogie Well-Known Member

Member:
    south florida
    Vehicle:
    05 DC TRD Sport 2WD 6" Fabtec 951 Moto Metals
    bull bar, lift, rims ,tires,TRD floor mats,led interior bulbs, color matched bed cap

I'd be interested in the wiring specifics as well.

10. Nov 29, 2008 at 8:02 AM
    jbrooks

jbrooks Active Member

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner SR5
    Has anyone mounted one of these or the newer model under a seat? I've bought the KENWOOD KSC-SW10 with the intent to mount it under one of the seats. I really don't want anything like this visible to wandering eyes,

Wiring? I thought about splicing to the battery wire from the stereo. My son thinks this will draw too much current in conjunction with the radio. I thought the primary source of power for the head unit would come from the keyed power and the battery lead is to keep the unit from losing memory such as settings and presets. I have replaced the factory unit with a Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X592 CD Receiver.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  11. Nov 29, 2008 at 8:34 AM
    oldtacomaguy

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SE Conn.
    Vehicle:
    Alpine deck and amp, Polk speakers front and rear, Kenwood subwoofer, windows tinted to 20%, Sockmonkey decals, TSB, Eibach springs and Bilstein 5100's
    Hi. I tried to fit mine under the seat of my 2008 Ex. cab, and it didn't fit, thats why it's mounted where it is. I'm pretty sure you won't have any problems wiring it from the head unit power scource. Mine was done at a shop though so I'm not positive. Sounds great to me.
    [​IMG]

12. Nov 29, 2008 at 8:41 AM
    stevigee

stevigee It's a MOD, MOD World

Member:
    First Name:
    Stevigee
    Amarillo Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRAIL TEAMS FJ CRUISER
    TRADED FOR 2010 FJ CRUISER TRAIL TEAM Kenwood KDC x792 deck and SW1 pwr sub,cruise,intermittent wipers,hidden hitch, tint, debadge,Nitto Grapplers 265/75-16,Black Powder Coated Toyota Steelies, black steel Toyota wheel center caps, Vent Visors, front guard, leather seat covers, black front badge, shortie antenna, tow hook, seat maglite mod, shock & leaf spring TSB, Extang Trifecta tonneau cover, custom black Fabwright rock sliders 1 3/4" DOM tubing w/ kickout, skid plate, Pop-A-Lock, Bilsten 5100 shocks, BLHM, Azela black tail lights, LEER topper w/rack, tent
    I just put a SW1 in my dble cab a few weeks ago. I ran the power cable directly to my battery (heavy gauge wire)than I ran the blue cable to the stereo's blue or blue/white (cant remember)on the wiring harness of my Kenwood x-792 and hooked up the rca's. I dont think the SW1 will fit under a seat. I put mine on the right side behind the seat storage. You dont even have to mount the sub it just sit there in the behind the seat compartment.

13. Nov 29, 2008 at 8:49 AM
    jbrooks

jbrooks Active Member

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner SR5
    I was afraid of that. My truck's interior is identical to yours. (2008 prerunner, same exterior and interior colors).

Is the problem due to the height or the lengt/width of the sub?

Do you think it will fit under on of the jump seats when folded flat? I leave the jumpseats folded down for the most part.

14. Nov 29, 2008 at 9:19 AM
    slo2sixty

slo2sixty Well-Known Member

Member:
    Syracuse, NY
    Vehicle:
    19 cement DCSB TRD offroad
    im looking to put something in my single cab.... Does it hit pritty good... cuz its only 150 watts. I had over 1000 in my jetta and it pounded

15. Nov 29, 2008 at 9:39 AM
    Jake

Jake Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Access Cab - Silver
    Bed D-Rings, Speaker Upgrade using TacoTunes Kit, Hitch w/ wire kit, Suspension TRB, More mods in process...
    I had one and after 2 weeks of trial in my Access Cab returned it. Was less than pleased with it's output. I did install a 10" box and amp under the seat and am finally pleased with the sound. Bottom line is the KSC-SW1 is a nice all in one option if you don't require much thump. Nice install and glad to here your happy with it. Next mod?

16. Nov 29, 2008 at 11:31 AM
    jbrooks

jbrooks Active Member

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner SR5
    Replaced the factory single disc radio with a Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X592 CD Receiver. This unit will play my ipod and USB devices via a USB cable on the back. I'm waiting for a 16 GB flash drive to be delivered. It will be loaded and stay plugged in instead of my 8 GB Nano.

It also has a mini pin stereo plug on the back. It has the capability to add XM radio if I decide to subscribe again. I can also add bluetooth for my phone, but probably won't do either.

The powered sub is next.

Upgrading speakers for Christmas. Alpine SPS-17C2 in the front doors and Kenwood KFC-1361S in the back. The Kenwoods are 5 1/4; it's what Crutchfields said would fit. I put these on my wishlist and sent it off to those who wish to buy me something for Christmas. I would prefer the Alpine's all the way around but I didn't think they would fit. I later learned that they would with the adaptors from tacotrucks. If I don't get these for Christmas, I'll go with the Alpines all the way around.

I'll stay with the self contained amp in the head unit. It's plenty load for me. The powered subwoofer is rated peak at 150 where the head unit peakes at 50. I know as a bass player that more wattage is needed to drive the bass than a guitar; 3 to four times. Since I never approach the max with my stereo, I believe it will work out fine for me.

fit.

17. Nov 29, 2008 at 2:02 PM
    oldtacomaguy

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SE Conn.
    Vehicle:
    I think you'll be happy with that setup. Way better than stock. Nice choice of truck BTY.

Products Discussed in

To Top