Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Kenwood Ksc-sw1 Powered Subwoofer

Old 04-22-2008, 01:17 PM   #1
razz8085 is on a distinguished road
razz8085's Tacoma Gallery
Kenwood Ksc-sw1 Powered Subwoofer

Here's a pretty good all-in-one alternative to putting in an amp, subs, and custom enclosure.

KENWOOD KSC-SW1 DUAL 6.5" POWERED ENCLOSED SUBWOOFER

It fits perfectly in the storage bin right behind the passenger side rear seats without any kind of mounting. Sits on top of the removable dividers that go in the bin and also held up by the hook for the child restraint. It doesn't move at all once you put the rear seat back up. I tested it out by doing some rapid braking and it does not bounce around at all. Also, you can tuck all the extra wiring inside the hollow cross bar for a clean install.

There is also a KENWOOD KSC-SW10 which is a later version of this powered sub. It does not have as many good reviews as the model I have but is smaller and could fit in the driver side storage bin instead.

Here are some pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Kenwood Ksc-sw1 Powered Subwoofer-dsc00529re.jpg   Kenwood Ksc-sw1 Powered Subwoofer-dsc00528re.jpg  
Old 04-22-2008, 05:10 PM   #2
Dealer/Sales Rep for Sundown Audio.
atsaubrey is just really niceatsaubrey is just really niceatsaubrey is just really niceatsaubrey is just really niceatsaubrey is just really nice
atsaubrey's Tacoma Gallery
How does it sound is the question? I obtained one of those and it was way less then desired.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:25 PM   #3
razz8085 is on a distinguished road
razz8085's Tacoma Gallery
sound quality

What do you mean when you say way less than desired? Is it not loud enough or do you think the sound quality is poor. As far as sound quality, I think it has a very clean tight sounding bass. I've had 8's, 10's, and 12's before and this little thing sounds way better to me. I've also got the volume turned way down, probably to about a third of full capacity. To me, if things in the cabin are rattling or people can hear me with the windows in both cars rolled up, it's too loud. Maybe it just sounds cleaner at lower volumes.

It might be a matter of tuning it. I typically turn the bass off, tune all the other speakers first, and then add the bass so that it doesn't overpower the rest of the system. Maybe you just need to play with it a bit.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:29 PM   #4
bajaracer is on a distinguished road
Name: Charly
bajaracer's Tacoma Gallery
how much?
Old 09-30-2008, 01:33 PM   #5
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Features:
  • Powered, enclosed subwoofer with 6-1/2" driver and 6-1/2" passive radiator
  • Built-in amplifier: 75 watts RMS
  • Frequency response: 35-160 Hz
  • Wired remote for control over:
    • Gain control
    • Variable low-pass crossover (50-120 Hz)
    • Selectable phase control (0°, 180°)
  • Power/ground wiring harness with fuse included
  • Preamp (RCA) and speaker-level inputs
  • Dimensions: 15-3/4"W x 3-3/4"H x 9"D
Old 09-30-2008, 01:39 PM   #6
four forty four
oldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
oldtacomaguy's Tacoma Gallery
It sounds good enough for me.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:56 AM   #8
Sprayin' Paint like Its my Job
Choco Taco is on a distinguished road

Choco Taco's Tacoma Gallery
how do oyu wire it? does it just use the pre-outs and ground wire a normal amp does?
Old 10-14-2008, 12:20 PM   #9
boogie is on a distinguished road
boogie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choco Taco View Post
how do oyu wire it? does it just use the pre-outs and ground wire a normal amp does?

I'd be interested in the wiring specifics as well.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:02 AM   #10
jbrooks is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbrooks is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbrooks is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbrooks is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbrooks is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbrooks is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbrooks is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbrooks is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbrooks is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbrooks is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbrooks is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: CRNA
jbrooks's Tacoma Gallery
Has anyone mounted one of these or the newer model under a seat? I've bought the KENWOOD KSC-SW10 with the intent to mount it under one of the seats. I really don't want anything like this visible to wandering eyes,

Wiring? I thought about splicing to the battery wire from the stereo. My son thinks this will draw too much current in conjunction with the radio. I thought the primary source of power for the head unit would come from the keyed power and the battery lead is to keep the unit from losing memory such as settings and presets. I have replaced the factory unit with a Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X592 CD Receiver.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:34 AM   #11
four forty four
oldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Hi. I tried to fit mine under the seat of my 2008 Ex. cab, and it didn't fit, thats why it's mounted where it is. I'm pretty sure you won't have any problems wiring it from the head unit power scource. Mine was done at a shop though so I'm not positive. Sounds great to me.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:41 AM   #12
It's a MOD, MOD World
stevigee is a name known to allstevigee is a name known to allstevigee is a name known to allstevigee is a name known to allstevigee is a name known to allstevigee is a name known to all

Army:
Name: Stevigee
stevigee's Tacoma Gallery
I just put a SW1 in my dble cab a few weeks ago. I ran the power cable directly to my battery (heavy gauge wire)than I ran the blue cable to the stereo's blue or blue/white (cant remember)on the wiring harness of my Kenwood x-792 and hooked up the rca's. I dont think the SW1 will fit under a seat. I put mine on the right side behind the seat storage. You dont even have to mount the sub it just sit there in the behind the seat compartment.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:49 AM   #13
jbrooks is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbrooks is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbrooks is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbrooks is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbrooks is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbrooks is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbrooks is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbrooks is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbrooks is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbrooks is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbrooks is one of the sharper tools in the shed
jbrooks's Tacoma Gallery
I was afraid of that. My truck's interior is identical to yours. (2008 prerunner, same exterior and interior colors).

Is the problem due to the height or the lengt/width of the sub?

Do you think it will fit under on of the jump seats when folded flat? I leave the jumpseats folded down for the most part.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:19 AM   #14
slo2sixty is on a distinguished road

slo2sixty's Tacoma Gallery
im looking to put something in my single cab.... Does it hit pritty good... cuz its only 150 watts. I had over 1000 in my jetta and it pounded
Old 11-29-2008, 10:39 AM   #15
Jake is on a distinguished road

Army: 5th Infantry Division Mechanized - MOS 16S10 E4
Jake's Tacoma Gallery
I had one and after 2 weeks of trial in my Access Cab returned it. Was less than pleased with it's output. I did install a 10" box and amp under the seat and am finally pleased with the sound. Bottom line is the KSC-SW1 is a nice all in one option if you don't require much thump. Nice install and glad to here your happy with it. Next mod?
Old 11-29-2008, 12:31 PM   #16
jbrooks's Tacoma Gallery
Replaced the factory single disc radio with a Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X592 CD Receiver. This unit will play my ipod and USB devices via a USB cable on the back. I'm waiting for a 16 GB flash drive to be delivered. It will be loaded and stay plugged in instead of my 8 GB Nano.

It also has a mini pin stereo plug on the back. It has the capability to add XM radio if I decide to subscribe again. I can also add bluetooth for my phone, but probably won't do either.

The powered sub is next.

Upgrading speakers for Christmas. Alpine SPS-17C2 in the front doors and Kenwood KFC-1361S in the back. The Kenwoods are 5 1/4; it's what Crutchfields said would fit. I put these on my wishlist and sent it off to those who wish to buy me something for Christmas. I would prefer the Alpine's all the way around but I didn't think they would fit. I later learned that they would with the adaptors from tacotrucks. If I don't get these for Christmas, I'll go with the Alpines all the way around.

I'll stay with the self contained amp in the head unit. It's plenty load for me. The powered subwoofer is rated peak at 150 where the head unit peakes at 50. I know as a bass player that more wattage is needed to drive the bass than a guitar; 3 to four times. Since I never approach the max with my stereo, I believe it will work out fine for me.

fit.
Old 11-29-2008, 03:02 PM   #17
four forty four

I think you'll be happy with that setup. Way better than stock. Nice choice of truck BTY.