Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Can you amp the stock head unit?

Old 04-23-2008, 09:01 PM   #1
ChibbMD has much to be proud ofChibbMD has much to be proud ofChibbMD has much to be proud ofChibbMD has much to be proud ofChibbMD has much to be proud ofChibbMD has much to be proud ofChibbMD has much to be proud ofChibbMD has much to be proud ofChibbMD has much to be proud of
ChibbMD's Tacoma Gallery
Can you amp the stock head unit?

I pulled the amp out of my last vehicle and was wondering if it would be possible to use it on the stock head unit. I've pulled it out once to install a iPod interface but I can't recall if it had the necessary outputs to take advantage of an amp.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:07 PM   #2
Dealer/Sales Rep for Sundown Audio.
atsaubrey is just really niceatsaubrey is just really niceatsaubrey is just really niceatsaubrey is just really niceatsaubrey is just really nice
atsaubrey's Tacoma Gallery
If I am understanding you, you only want to add an amp to the factory head unit or are you saying an amp and Ipod? If it is only the amp, than a simple LOC is what you need although I would recommend a RF 360.1 or .2, an MTX ReQ, or JL Audio Clean Sweep. If you need help I will be more than willing to help you out.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:12 PM   #3
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Many amps accept speaker line inputs, that's what you would need to run an amp.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:16 PM   #4
ChibbMD has much to be proud ofChibbMD has much to be proud ofChibbMD has much to be proud ofChibbMD has much to be proud ofChibbMD has much to be proud ofChibbMD has much to be proud ofChibbMD has much to be proud ofChibbMD has much to be proud ofChibbMD has much to be proud of
ChibbMD's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, I already have the iPod hooked up using a PA12-Toy. I was hoping to use the amp from my old truck in my new Taco although I really don't feel like replacing the stock 6-disk changer. I had an aftermarket head unit in the last vehicle and have only used aftermarket head units when amping other systems. I did a little searching (which I should have done first) and found out about the need for a LOC or amp with high level inputs. You can score a cheap LOC for $20 but I will check out the ones you mentioned. Thanks.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:17 PM   #5
Displaced Texan
MotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to all

Air Force: 1LT
MotoXFreeStyle61's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MotoXFreeStyle61 Send a message via MSN to MotoXFreeStyle61
If I am correct, (which is only half the time according to my finance), The stock head unit has no RCA outputs. The only way you can connect an external amp to the stock head unit is to to have speaker level inputs on the amp itself. You are pretty much tapping into the speaker wires and running that to the amp. I know that there are modules you can buy that supply RCA inputs for amps. Regardless on how you go about it, you will have to tap into the speaker wires going out. I currently have an Alpine amp connected to my stock head unit.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:22 PM   #6
atsaubrey is just really niceatsaubrey is just really niceatsaubrey is just really niceatsaubrey is just really niceatsaubrey is just really nice
I know the LOC thing sounds so simple....it is actually untill you get into factory "bass limiting and factory eq'ing", that is why I recommended the higher priced units.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:03 AM   #7
Betty White Edition Heep ZJ
jonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jonny's Tacoma Gallery
high to low converter. like 8 bucks on ebay man
Old 04-25-2008, 02:44 PM   #8
ChibbMD's Tacoma Gallery
My amp actually has the speaker level inputs so I can connect that way with no need for a LOC. Still might not be the best because of factory stereo EQ but I don't know.

Here's what I'm thinking about: 6.5 component speakers with 1 inch domes in the front, 6.5 rears, all amped by a four channel amp using the speaker level inputs with the stock HU. Using a separate mono amp for the little enclosed 10" I just picked up from atsaubrey.

I think I would be pretty happy with that. Certainly an improvement over stock, but I'd love any input you guys have.
Old 04-25-2008, 04:14 PM   #9
I would highly recommend the higher end units. The MTX can be had for $100 right now. If you are looking for amps....I might know someone with some kickass ones
Old 04-25-2008, 04:47 PM   #10
ChibbMD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsaubrey View Post
I would highly recommend the higher end units. The MTX can be had for $100 right now. If you are looking for amps....I might know someone with some kickass ones
Higher end units? You mean head units, subs, speakers, or amps. I'm good to go on the amps. I have two hanging around from my last vehicle.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:26 PM   #11
the higher end LOC's is what I meant. Factory EQ and Bass limiting on the factory decks can make the aftermorket stuff sound horrid. The higher end LOC's can eliminate the EQ and "restore" the bass limiting.
Old 04-27-2008, 01:07 PM   #12
Mr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marv
Mr Marv's Tacoma Gallery
I'll agree with atsaubrey and you can read a little more about why in my post here...
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...udio-faqs.html
Old 04-27-2008, 06:42 PM   #13
ChibbMD's Tacoma Gallery
After some reading and help from atsaubrey I purchased the MTX ReQ. After reading Mr Marv's post it sounds like I won't be able to use the factory volume control without negating the effects of the MTX device. Is this correct? How would you hook up an external volume control? It's really going to suck if this is the case...
Old 04-27-2008, 09:30 PM   #14
Mr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Mr Marv's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibbMD View Post
After some reading and help from atsaubrey I purchased the MTX ReQ. After reading Mr Marv's post it sounds like I won't be able to use the factory volume control without negating the effects of the MTX device. Is this correct? How would you hook up an external volume control? It's really going to suck if this is the case...
The MTX does not use software like the JL Cleansweep etc to "flatten" the factory response so you don't need an external volume control. Basically it is a reasonably priced (IMO of course ) way to add amps to your factory headunit and allow the bass to come through at higher volumes (unlike the factory headunit which limits bass at higher volumes to keep from blowing the factory speakers).
Old 05-25-2008, 03:45 PM   #15
exlabrat is on a distinguished road
exlabrat's Tacoma Gallery
i notice that there is two req's available the ReQ and the ReQ5 which one is better??
Old 05-25-2008, 04:48 PM   #16

Mr Marv's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by exlabrat View Post
i notice that there is two req's available the ReQ and the ReQ5 which one is better??
The "5" is a 5 channel and the standard is a 3 channel so it depends on your application as to which is "better".