Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

dash stereo mounting piece?

Old 03-19-2010, 10:02 PM   #1
tmbrwlf730 is on a distinguished road
tmbrwlf730's Tacoma Gallery
dash stereo mounting piece?

hey guys, i'm about to install an aftermarket stereo into my 2nd gen tacoma but i'm confused on which replacement piece to use for the dash piece that you have to trade out when you install an aftermarket stereo. i see tacotunes has some but they don't say which manufature they use so i'm curious if i could find the same piece for less somewhere else online. and looking at different sites it seems that they all suck from reading the reviews. which do you all have? i'm interested in a textured one to match the stock texturing. should i just go with tacotunes?
Old 03-20-2010, 06:39 AM   #2
If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off
Rocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
Rocketball's Tacoma Gallery
I read a lot of negative things about Taco Tunes lately. No first hand experience though.

The textured kit is manufactuered by Metra. The other kit is made by Scoshe (sp?).

I did not like the look of the metra kit, and the Scoshe has a larger storage cubbie for the single DIN setup.

Check out Crutchfield.com. They have everything you need, very competative pricing, and fantastic customer service. Even if you don't buy from them, they are a great resource for doing research.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:00 AM   #3
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
I just added an aftermarket with Metra kit from crutchfield. It was free with a wiring harness with the purchase of the headunit. I saw black Scoshe kits for toyota selling at walmart. Amazon & ebay has them too.

My metra kit was textured & I opted for black instead of silver I like the contrast & used the factory metal mounting brackets rather than the plastic set up with the sleeve.

There is a thread that shows a lot of the installs & pics are in my gallery. The whole setup from Crutchfield w/ HU was $109 shipped. I believe TT is a little more. Good luck either way & post pics!
Old 03-20-2010, 08:19 AM   #4
C17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedC17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedC17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedC17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedC17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedC17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedC17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedC17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedC17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedC17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedC17Guy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 1A2 701 AS Charleston AFB, SC
Name: Dennis
C17Guy's Tacoma Gallery
I purchased my textured (silver) Metra kit from Amazon. Think it was like $30 but was fairly decent kit.