1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

AVIC install help

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by billas333, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Mar 25, 2010 at 2:00 PM
    billas333

billas333 [OP] They Still Love To Hate Me! - T.O.

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 Tacoma Sport
    Mods so far: Tube steps from toyota, Bed extender from toyota, Spare Tire lock, Sound System Makeover, Tacoma All-Weather heavy duty rubber floor mats. Rear TSB, Icon Coilovers w/ TC UCA's and 3inch rear block with rear 5100 bilstein shocks, Black Headlights, Grillcraft black grill, Devil Horns from Andres, Black Headlights, Chrome Liquid Metal Gatlins Wheels, 285/70R17 Nitto Tera Grapplers, Wet Okole Seat Covers! Seat Belt Chime Mod, Flowmaster 50 series dual exhaust, Debadged tailgate, TRD Decals, HID hi/low + fogs.
    So I was trying to remove the mute pin from the wire harness to do the bypass and the damn thing snapped on me.

For the bypass it just says to remove the pin and move it over one spot then route it to ground. Why? Do I even need to hook this wire up for?

Since I broke the pin what is an option?

2. Mar 25, 2010 at 3:51 PM
    surfrat

surfrat Well-Known Member

Member:
    LI, NY
    icon coilover, total chaos UCA, allpr expo, icon 2.0 rear,wet okole
    you will need to get a new harness, or try to find that pin at radio shack and repair it.. i couldnt get the pin out either, so i cut a slit in the harness and it pop'ed out.. Or you can always install it without the bypass, which sucks

3. Mar 25, 2010 at 4:04 PM
    billas333

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 Tacoma Sport
    Mods so far: Tube steps from toyota, Bed extender from toyota, Spare Tire lock, Sound System Makeover, Tacoma All-Weather heavy duty rubber floor mats. Rear TSB, Icon Coilovers w/ TC UCA's and 3inch rear block with rear 5100 bilstein shocks, Black Headlights, Grillcraft black grill, Devil Horns from Andres, Black Headlights, Chrome Liquid Metal Gatlins Wheels, 285/70R17 Nitto Tera Grapplers, Wet Okole Seat Covers! Seat Belt Chime Mod, Flowmaster 50 series dual exhaust, Debadged tailgate, TRD Decals, HID hi/low + fogs.
    my main question is what is the point in moving this wire? the wire is basically not needed with Bluetooth.

The only thing i can think as to why is needs to be moved is because that open slot needs something in it for the bypass to work

I dunno I am gonna try and do it without this wire completely unless someone chimes in with some info here

4. Mar 25, 2010 at 4:24 PM
    mrp192

mrp192 REALLY!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Cheney WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma Dbl cab long bed.
    Hood Strusts, remote Start, truck came with Leveling kit and wheels.
    you have to move the wire over for the bypass.. it doesnt have to be the mute wire.. just everyone uses it because the wire it the same size and its just easy.. this is what i did on my Z1 and ill be doing this when i put the Z110bt in my xterra..

if you arnt using any other wires that are the same size then go head and use it..

5. Mar 26, 2010 at 8:27 AM
    azTRD

azTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    The mute wire is just a wire that is not used, so you are essentially just moving an unused wire into the empty slot next to it. Someone figured out that if you put a wire in the empty slot next to the mute wire and ground it, the unit will fully function without being stopped.

6. Mar 28, 2010 at 1:54 PM
    bsapia

bsapia New Member

Member:
    billas333, you can do what is called a software bypass.. there is a forum out there for avic's and modding them. I shouldnt advertise another website on here, so PM me if you need that.

7. Mar 28, 2010 at 2:06 PM
    billas333

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 Tacoma Sport
    I got it.

Even though I broke the pin I just stripped the wire to the same lenghth. Twisted it and shoved it in with some tape wrapped around the base of it to wedge it in there. Works like a charm :)

8. Apr 27, 2010 at 1:08 AM
    nolanspawn

nolanspawn Work In Progress

Member:
    Layton, Utah
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tundra Crewmax
    Corsa Exhuast, AFE Intake
    I got a question regarding the bypass. I am having Frys do my install since I am limited on time do to it myself. One thing I am pretty sure of is they wont do the bypass so I am curious if doing the bypass is something I can do to the harness prior to install so when they wire it up its already bypassed and I'm good to go, or is it something I am still going to have to pull the radio out and do stuff after I get the truck back.

9. Apr 27, 2010 at 6:43 AM
    billas333

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 Tacoma Sport
    just install it yourself, its as simple as matching colors to the harness. With the bypass it shouldnt take longer than 2hrs.

Frys wont do the bypass and u have to alter the harness so they wont install it if you do because its against the law and a liability for them

10. Apr 27, 2010 at 10:30 AM
    Joehs

Joehs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    AL
    The bypass really isn't all that hard. If you aren't color blind, and have any bit of electrical knowledge at all.

The first time I dove in the radio area, it took me about 30 mins to get it figured out, the second time, I did it in 5.

The hardest part is matching the color wires together and getting a good solid connection between the two. The rest is plug and play, and put it back together.

If you really must have someone else do it, doing the bypass afterwards is pretty much the same thing as it is before. I'm sure there is a way to do it before hand, but it's much easier to just do all at once.

Also, look into the software bypass, it's had mixed results, but may be your best option.

Products Discussed in

To Top