Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

IPOD Hookup Opinions/Options Help Needed.

Old 03-28-2010, 04:59 PM   #1
RSH904 is a jewel in the roughRSH904 is a jewel in the roughRSH904 is a jewel in the roughRSH904 is a jewel in the rough

RSH904's Tacoma Gallery
IPOD Hookup Opinions/Options Help Needed.

Alright Taco Gods point me in the right direction. I have had an extremely long weekend with my new Ipod or Ipods. I have had a Ipod classic for 4-5 years. Still works good but the battery is starting to go and it was time for a new one. Had my eye on the Ipod touch but held off until they hit 64GB and I needed one. I bought one on friday that kept shutting off by itself with a good charge. The exchange I brought home saturday had a broken face. I have a 3rd one working good. Loaded the wife and kid up for a ride today. Hooked up the new Ipod to my Griffin FM transmitter/charger and no dice. The Griffin is not supported by the new Ipod. No transmit/no charge. Thats fine. The transmitter was a piece of shit. This gives me the perfect excuse to go with a hardwire hook/charger. I have started researching (Grom, USAA Spec) vs AM headunits with IPOD interface. Looking to keep it under $200 (since I just bought a new Ipod). Give me your opinions/options for what you guys have. Pics too would be awesome. Keep em coming..........Thanks in Advance.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:09 AM   #3
Wolfshart79 is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard: Electronics Technician
Wolfshart79's Tacoma Gallery
I am in the same situation...I just deinstalled my sub and amp from my car I just sold and am going to hook it up in my Taco. I figured while I'm in there I would add an iphone interface. I found a few not sure which to go with. May try http://www.logjamelectronics.com/blitztoymlink1v2.html that but I'm not sure how it would work with my sub/amp install. If anyone has any info regarding ipod/iphone interfaces please let us know! Thanks!
Old 03-29-2010, 11:21 AM   #4
Not your average girl
yotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Small town firefighter EMT
Name: Katie
yotanator's Tacoma Gallery
I have wondered about this too. I have one that Circuit City installed and it sucks that they have gone out of business because I only hear sound from my iPod out of one side of the speakers and it doesn't charge it either. Some songs I can't listen to that have a split sound because I can't hear half the song
Old 03-29-2010, 11:26 AM   #5
Kayaker is on a distinguished road
Name: Ross
Kayaker's Tacoma Gallery
USA-SPEC question

I have an 07 with the standard AM/FM CD JBL,etc, not the higher level large display system shown in the Spec PA15 photos. Is this still the best option for an IPOD interface and does it display on the stero display?
Old 03-29-2010, 05:44 PM   #6
RSH904 is a jewel in the roughRSH904 is a jewel in the roughRSH904 is a jewel in the roughRSH904 is a jewel in the rough

RSH904's Tacoma Gallery
We are all just posting questions........Somebody out there has to have an answer. My major concern is that the 3rd Gen Ipod Touches apparently (confirmed) dont support some aftermarket chargers/transmitters. I dont want to buy a Gromm or Usaa, install it myself, have it not work and then be screwed. I think I might bite the bullet and take it to a car audio shop. At least if they put it in and it doesnt work they can just take it right out.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:27 PM   #7
Do Work Son!
rossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rossk35's Tacoma Gallery
You have to have a cable that is iphone/itouch compatible in order for it to work. Next find out whatever you have installed in the truck and find if they have the correct cable that you need.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:00 PM   #8
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayaker View Post
I have an 07 with the standard AM/FM CD JBL,etc, not the higher level large display system shown in the Spec PA15 photos. Is this still the best option for an IPOD interface and does it display on the stero display?
It displays 'text' (song name or artist) on the radio.

I have standard stock radio 6 disc, non-JBL and I have the USA spec unit.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:58 PM   #9

RSH904's Tacoma Gallery
I got a grom....works great. Here is the post about it.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...haust-tip.html
Old 04-06-2010, 11:36 PM   #10
Schully is a jewel in the roughSchully is a jewel in the roughSchully is a jewel in the rough

Name: Aaron
Schully's Tacoma Gallery

I love mine. Charges the ipod too which is nice. Navigates through my library quickly without lag.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:01 AM   #11
Wolfshart79 is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard: Electronics Technician
Wolfshart79's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schully View Post

I love mine. Charges the ipod too which is nice. Navigates through my library quickly without lag.
I think the main idea was interface units and not the HU that has it integrated already... but thanks anyway!