Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

4 Channel amp plus 2 Ohm and 4 Ohm speakers

Old 03-31-2010, 08:49 AM   #1
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
4 Channel amp plus 2 Ohm and 4 Ohm speakers

Can I run the front channel at 2 Ohm components in fornt and the rears at 4 Ohms on the same 4 channel amp? Will this give me more of a rear fill if using a 4 channel amp with equal power to the fronts and rears? I am considering Image Dynamics CXS2 62 2 Ohm components up front and 4 Ohm coaxials in the rear? Is this do-able and will it give me what I want as far as more output up front and less in the rear without excessive fading or needing a much more powerful amp to the power I want for 4 Ohm components up front?
Old 03-31-2010, 09:15 AM   #2
momotaro is on a distinguished road
momotaro's Tacoma Gallery
Need more information about the amplifier (make and model).

Most amplifiers can't do a combined 2 and 4 ohm load but there are exceptions.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:19 AM   #3
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by momotaro View Post
Need more information about the amplifier (make and model).

Most amplifiers can't do a combined 2 and 4 ohm load but there are exceptions.
Have not picked an amp yet but it sounds like this might NOT be a good idea then.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:28 AM   #4
momotaro is on a distinguished road
momotaro's Tacoma Gallery
If you're dead set on running those comps, my advice to you would be to find a nice 2 channel amp that will run safely at a 2ohm load. Then run the rear coaxials off the head unit power.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:18 AM   #5
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Unhappy

My only reason for picking them was to run a less expensive 4 channel amp... if I just run the rears on the head unit it would be 22 watts x2 @ 4 Ohms (Kenwood Excelon head unit). If that would be adequate for rear fill I could afford better, more expensive Components up front.

This never seems to get any easier... I know I want some silk domes that are not harsh (all the titatnium tweeters I have heard hurt my ears) and plenty of midbass in a 6.5" size. I guess I am back to the drawing board for speakers again.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:10 AM   #6
phd12volt is on a distinguished road

Navy:
Name: Jason
phd12volt's Tacoma Gallery
having a 2 ohm load on the front channels, and a 4ohm load on the rears is fine, as long as the amp is capable of driving that....most good amps are. In reality the 2 ohm ones would be technically louder than the rear. (with all things being equal) HOWEVER, remember that running the front at 2 ohms will cause a rise in distortion levels. whether or not you can hear that level, is something else.