Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Sound insulation a must.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:39 PM   #1
ShockDoc is on a distinguished road
ShockDoc's Tacoma Gallery
Sound insulation a must.

I just finished installing new speakers and sound insulation. I went with the edead from Elemental Designs and Infinity Reference speakers in front and back. I am very impressed with the sound deadening. If you are considering doing this cheap mod, let me tell you...DO IT!

I bought 60ft2 of edead v1 and that was plenty for 4 doors in a double cab. In fact I have about 1/3 of it left. I put a single layer on the inside of the outer shell and another layer on the inner shell. I'm so impressed with the results I'm considering doing the floors. The speakers are great too, but the real difference was with the sound insulation. I wasn't looking for a high power sound system, but rather a modest improvement. I figured while I had the door panels off I might as well add some sound insulation. I was extremely pleased with the results. So again...do it.

As far as edead vs fatmat vs dynamat? Who cares? edead is on the cheaper side if things and I have no regrets. Just put something up there. I'm glad to answer any questions.
Old 05-08-2008, 05:24 AM   #3
All I used was the edead. After doing the whole thing I think foam sheet might not be a bad idea. The edead material can be very sticky. A layer of foam would make for a cleaner install. However, with the door panels on I don't think it makes much of a difference. In my opinion, I would probably spend the extra money on more material for the floors and ceiling before I added another layer of foam.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:11 AM   #4
Go Vick ??? Go Birds !!!
Rtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rtrn2taco's Tacoma Gallery
are you using the new speakers with the factory head unit? If so, is it a considerable improvement over the factory speakers?
Old 05-08-2008, 05:44 PM   #5
Dealer/Sales Rep for Sundown Audio.
atsaubrey is just really niceatsaubrey is just really niceatsaubrey is just really niceatsaubrey is just really niceatsaubrey is just really nice
atsaubrey's Tacoma Gallery
Wait about 2 months and check out your doors and see how the eDead is holding up. I have the crap in my doors as well and it aint pretty. I have had to removes the panels twice now to reattach/remove it after it coming loose and going into the window mechanism. I personally LOVE Second Skin over all other products, very similiar to Dynamat Extreme but with slightly heavier aluminum backing. also much easier to work with then the eDead. my .02 cents.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:01 PM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtrn2taco View Post
are you using the new speakers with the factory head unit? If so, is it a considerable improvement over the factory speakers?
I still have the factory head unit. The improvement is definitely noticable with new speakers. All I wanted was a little better sound clarity. I'd say I got it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsaubrey View Post
Wait about 2 months and check out your doors and see how the eDead is holding up. I have the crap in my doors as well and it aint pretty. I have had to removes the panels twice now to reattach/remove it after it coming loose and going into the window mechanism. I personally LOVE Second Skin over all other products, very similiar to Dynamat Extreme but with slightly heavier aluminum backing. also much easier to work with then the eDead. my .02 cents.
Well I don't like hearing that. This stuff can be messy. I'll have to follow up on it. Did you use a roller or how did you apply it? What was the temperature when you applied it? I have read that using a heat gun or blow dryer will help adhere the material.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:26 PM   #7
atsaubrey is just really niceatsaubrey is just really niceatsaubrey is just really niceatsaubrey is just really niceatsaubrey is just really nice
It was between 70-80 degrees in the garage when I did it and yes used a roller. I have my competition car that I first used it in and low and behold it is coming loose in there. Since then the comp. car has recieved 300ft3 of Second Skin and it hasn't peeled or moved a bit. As for using a heat gun....I feel that is just insane, there are way better products that dont require it, why save the money on the eDead only to double up on work???? Sounds crazy to me.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:28 PM   #8
Before I really bash eDead, it does work no doubt about it. My concern is the longevity of it. I did want to set that part of the record str8.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:16 AM   #9
Largest Member.....huhuh
rmarqu2 has a brilliant futurermarqu2 has a brilliant futurermarqu2 has a brilliant futurermarqu2 has a brilliant futurermarqu2 has a brilliant futurermarqu2 has a brilliant futurermarqu2 has a brilliant futurermarqu2 has a brilliant futurermarqu2 has a brilliant futurermarqu2 has a brilliant futurermarqu2 has a brilliant future

EMS: Emergency room RN
Name: Roger
rmarqu2's Tacoma Gallery
I'm looking into the second skin. How much would ya think I need to cover the 4 doors and the rear wall?
Old 03-26-2011, 08:19 AM   #10
mattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
mattg43's Tacoma Gallery
I hate to dump, and I am in 100% agreement about doing a proper install with proper deadening.

With that said - E dead sucks. Aubrey is right, it will fail. I last used it about 3 years ago in a floor install, and stopped there and used second skin for the rest of the car.

Don, at Sound Deadener Showdown then introduced his own line, and I think it is at least as good as the Second skin, if not better. Also, his principals on install method, and proper use, are the best. You will find that a few other MFG's now use his recommendations, where they used to be on the "100% coverage is a must" bandwagon in order to sell more material.

I think he also does a "Tacoma Package".
Old 03-26-2011, 08:35 AM   #11
RiderOnTheStorm will become famous soon enough
Name: Brian
RiderOnTheStorm's Tacoma Gallery
I would supposed you get what you pay for. How much does Second Skin cost?
Old 03-26-2011, 08:38 AM   #12
mattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
mattg43's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarqu2 View Post
I'm looking into the second skin. How much would ya think I need to cover the 4 doors and the rear wall?
Read up on the web site I linked above. GREAT information on how to deaden.
Old 03-26-2011, 02:56 PM   #13
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Toyota already covered the floor with a crap ton of vibration dampner. I used about 2 square feet on the floor, most of it on the metal frame of the under seat storage. SOme vibration dampner on the roof is nice. What the floor does need is mass loaded vinyl. Foam is used as a vibration isolator and thermal insulator... it does not block or deaden sound at all really.