1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

*** Issues with Pioneer head unit ***

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by thai fyter, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Apr 25, 2010 at 6:55 PM
    thai fyter

thai fyter [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hey guys (or gals) I just had the Pioneer AVH-3100DVD installed today and on my way to work experienced some issues. I'm hoping that someone here can shed some light on this issue for me. I have the non JBL system so no bypass harness. It has a front plug USB for the iPod so no harness for that either. I did have the after-market steering wheel control adapter installed with it. That said, it was smooth sailing after the install on my way home. DVD worked great, radio great, CD and iPod no issue either. Then, tonight on my way to work I hooked my iPod up to the aux port and the steering wheel controls started lagging and the the whole unit went haywire. It was changing the volume on it's own, changing channels and switching between modes on it's own. I could only intermittently control it myself. Once at work I turned off my truck, waited about a minute and then started my truck and powered it back up. Everything seems fine now and I hope that was just a one time occurence. Any thoughts? (I will be at work all night so "take it back to where you had it installed" is not an option at the moment.)

2. Apr 25, 2010 at 8:54 PM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    I would make a note of it and put in a call to where you got it installed. Call them ASAP so you have your ass covered. Tell them that if it doesn't act up again you wont come in for a problem you don't have. But if it starts throwing a shitfit again; you'll be refreshing their memory about this conversation before they fix it :D

3. Apr 25, 2010 at 9:35 PM
    thai fyter

Member:

Good idea. Planning on calling or going by tomorrow anyway but I liked to be armed with a little know how before asking questions about AV stuff so I don't get the run around. Appreciate the input.

4. Apr 26, 2010 at 12:47 PM
    polox40

polox40 Well-Known Member

Member:
    ONTARIO
    Vehicle:
    TRD SPORT 4X4
    TOYOTA ALUMINUM STEP BAR, 3M HOOD FILM, WEATHERTECH FLOOR MATS, 7" DD WITH BACKUP CAMERA, TRD SEAT COVERS
    I was told by eclipse tech when i installed my HU to make sure that the steering wheel control ground was grounded with the HU ground or else weird things would happen( like you described), not sure if its the same as pionneer but i thought it might help.

5. Apr 26, 2010 at 12:49 PM
    nad

nad mmmm tacos!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 Sierra All Terrain
    its definitely the steering wheel control acting up

6. Apr 26, 2010 at 8:02 PM
    thai fyter

Member:
    So I took it back today and there was some kind of short in the steering wheel itself. I was able to reproduce the problem by just hitting on the steering wheel. I just had them take it out. Works like a charm now.

7. Apr 26, 2010 at 8:07 PM
    Anathollo

Anathollo www.saveadane.org

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Icon coilovers, Rear Fox Resi-shocks, 285/70/17 Toyo A/T's, Touchscreen JVC Headunit, Custom Rhino-lined sub box, Rocksford Fosgate components and Dual Rockford Fosgate 10" shallow subs, Pioneer and Rocksford Fosgate amps, 1250 watts total, Autometer Volt and Trans gauges with Lotek A-pillar, K&N Drop-in filter, WO Seat covers, Tint, NST WP pulley, Hi-lift jack, Diff breather mod, horn relocation mod, extra "D" rings, de-pinstriped, carrier bearing drop, Rear backup 886 bulbs, Camburg UCA's, AMW Catch can, BHLM, OME Dakars with AAL, Procomp 7089's, Front single hoop Demello bumper, Superwinch Tiger Shark 9500, Amsteel 3/8th synthetic line

On my JVC headunit, I know for a fact that it fucks up BAD if you try to multitask it AND use the steering wheel controls at the same time. I mean the unit goes HAYWIRE to the point that I have to turn it off and on again.
    So I don't use the touchscreen and the steering wheel controls at the same time on mine. Hope this helps...

Products Discussed in

To Top