1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Which sound deadener?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Leadgolem, May 10, 2010.

1. May 10, 2010 at 4:10 AM
    Leadgolem

Leadgolem [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma SR5 2.7L 4x4 stick
    Herculiner bed liner, White LED instrument lights, Custom painted hood, Homemade leather steering wheel wrap, Avic u310bt gps stereo, 1.5" bushwacker fender flares, 1.25" bilstein lift front, 1" shackle lift rear, rear bilstein 5100 shocks, ridiculous helper spring lift rear, wet okole seat covers, mutilated exhaust, boom mat under hood
    I'm going to be replacing my carpet soon and was wondering what sound deadener I should put under it. I'm not an audiophile and my budget is rather limited, but I would like to address some of the noise in the cab since I'll have the carpet up.

I was thinking about a spray on like dei boom mat, but I'm willing to spend up to about $300 if there is a significant difference in quality. I'm also in Colorado so temperature tolerance is also something to consider. Say 120 max outside in the summer and down to -30 in the winter.

Advise, opinions, all are welcome. :)

2. May 10, 2010 at 8:29 AM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
  3. May 10, 2010 at 11:56 PM
    Leadgolem

Leadgolem [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma SR5 2.7L 4x4 stick
    Herculiner bed liner, White LED instrument lights, Custom painted hood, Homemade leather steering wheel wrap, Avic u310bt gps stereo, 1.5" bushwacker fender flares, 1.25" bilstein lift front, 1" shackle lift rear, rear bilstein 5100 shocks, ridiculous helper spring lift rear, wet okole seat covers, mutilated exhaust, boom mat under hood
    Ok, so your talking about the mass loaded vinyl and the vinyl/nitrile closed cell foam yes? Looks like a good system.

If you don't mind me asking, what thickness of foam did you use? Also, what kind of quantities did you need for the various pieces of your project? What additional supplies did you need? That kind of stuff.

I'm mostly concerned with doing the floor at the moment, as I have new carpet shipping, but I'll be doing the doors and probably the roof etc... later.

4. May 11, 2010 at 6:22 AM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    I know I used the 1/2" foam on the floor and 1/4" in the doors and rear wall. The doors and rear wall have tighter fitting tolerances so you need to. The floors can use nice 1/2" and you don't even need the glue that bonds them together for the floor since gravity is doing the work.

I used nearly all of 50sqft of MLV in my truck. I did the front/rear doors, rear wall, and entire floor.

Products Discussed in

To Top