Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

sub and amp combo

Old 05-10-2010, 09:32 PM   #1
mr smitty is on a distinguished road
mr smitty's Tacoma Gallery
sub and amp combo

ok so im confused on the ohm stuff and how it affects sound and power
i understand the rhm and that you want to have them the same but is the rhm different between 2 ohm and 4 ohm?
id like to hook up two pioneer shallow mount 10"s that are both 4 ohms and 300 rhm
alpine has a mono amp that produces 1x600 2ohm rhm can i connect the two subs to this amp and get the 300 rhm on each?
thanks for any help
Old 05-10-2010, 09:36 PM   #2
epa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eduardo
epa4wd's Tacoma Gallery
I think, someone please correct me if Im wrong, you should connect them in parallel to the AMP so the AMP sees a 2 OHM load and delivers 600 Watts RMS to the load therefore 300 watts RMS to each sub.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:38 PM   #3
i was thinking that i could do that somehow but that would work out nice if that works because i can get a good deal on the set and have everything i want match up justright
Old 05-10-2010, 09:39 PM   #4
specifically talking about the pioneers TS SW2501S4 300w
and the alpine pdx-m6 amp
Old 05-10-2010, 09:43 PM   #5
epa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
epa4wd's Tacoma Gallery
I think I'm right I hope someone comes in and confirms.

That's the same sub I will be using, once hooked up let me know how it sounds!
Old 05-10-2010, 09:45 PM   #6
im thinking about trying they tacotunes double box and that is about the only sub that will fit the box to specs
Old 05-11-2010, 10:08 AM   #7
Northcountry is on a distinguished road
Name: Larr
Northcountry's Tacoma Gallery
Wiring subs

Just make sure you check to see if your subs are single or duel voice coils. This will change the ohm load and wiring. This link has some good diagrams for wiring, use the pull down menues.
http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/wo...igurations.asp
Old 05-11-2010, 10:16 AM   #8
05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
05offroad's Tacoma Gallery
If you run the subs parallel it will cut the ohm of the subs in half...so in your case to 2 ohms. With 300 (rms) required for each sub and your amp supplying 600 at 2 ohms...they will be nearly perfect. Here's a diagram to explain the ohms thing...
Old 05-11-2010, 10:17 AM   #9
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, two 4ohm subs wired to a 2ohm load will yield 600RMS from the amp giving each sub 300.

I confirm.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:19 AM   #10
epa4wd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northcountry View Post
Just make sure you check to see if your subs are single or duel voice coils. This will change the ohm load and wiring. This link has some good diagrams for wiring, use the pull down menues.
http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/wo...igurations.asp

They are 4 OHM Single Coil

Quote:
Yes, two 4ohm subs wired to a 2ohm load will yield 600RMS from the amp giving each sub 300.

I confirm.
Thanks
Old 05-11-2010, 02:18 PM   #11
l_prettyman has a spectacular aura aboutl_prettyman has a spectacular aura about
Name: Logan
l_prettyman's Tacoma Gallery
what your trying to do is right on point. run a wire from the amp to a sub, and from that sub to the other sub. 300 watt RMS to each subwoofer
Old 05-11-2010, 06:13 PM   #12
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_prettyman View Post
what your trying to do is right on point. run a wire from the amp to a sub, and from that sub to the other sub. 300 watt RMS to each subwoofer
This is incorrect. Please edit your post.

What is stated above is a series type wiring and will yield an 8ohm load.

What the OP is wanting is a 2ohm load. He'll need to wire them in parallel. Like the picture below.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:30 PM   #13
epa4wd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalynStylion View Post
This is incorrect. Please edit your post.

What is stated above is a series type wiring and will yield an 8ohm load.

What the OP is wanting is a 2ohm load. He'll need to wire them in parallel. Like the picture below.

+1
Old 05-12-2010, 09:15 PM   #14
thanks guys but i took a visit to the local audio shop they talked me out of my tacotunes idea and probably into the jl stealthbox
Old 05-13-2010, 05:25 AM   #15
Love the Tick!
Gingrbredman is a name known to allGingrbredman is a name known to allGingrbredman is a name known to allGingrbredman is a name known to allGingrbredman is a name known to allGingrbredman is a name known to all

Name: G
Gingrbredman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr smitty View Post
thanks guys but i took a visit to the local audio shop they talked me out of my tacotunes idea and probably into the jl stealthbox
Talking you out of a Tacotune box is probably a good thing. If you are looking for a better box around the size of the Tacotune box, talk to Mr. Marv and he can hook you up. Much better box, and a much better guy to deal with. Plus, you will actually receive your purchase, and be able to talk to someone if you need help. Its like buying a custom box, and an audio consultant.