1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help with selecting parts for audio system 01 DC

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Natedogg, May 20, 2010.

1. May 20, 2010 at 7:12 AM
    Natedogg

Natedogg [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC TRD Sport
    Hey guys, I'm a stereo (and electronics in general) noob, so I was hoping to get some quick and straightforward answers to make this as painless as possible. :eek: The stereo in my 2001 Doublecab is shot--the CD player doesn't work, and the display is broken so I can't read what FM station I'm on. Been driving around like that for a long time now, and just want to bite the bullet and replace it. Was looking on eBay for a replacement head unit, and figured for a few extra bucks I could probably upgrade the whole thing and get an iPod/input jack (I listen to an iPod ~60% of the time with a cig lighter FM tuner).

1. Should I just replace the head unit with a used one from a junkyard or eBay?

2. If I replace it with an upgrade, what do I need? I was looking around and came up with:
    Wiring harness
    [​IMG]

Pocket (??)
    [​IMG]

Receiver:
    [​IMG]

To be honest, I picked one of the first receivers I saw that was relatively cheap--I just want something quick and easy (hence ordering it all from Amazon--see links). I know a lot of the audio gurus around here would turn up their nose, lol, but whatever. How do I know this receiver will fit? Will the pocket fit? Will it look like crap?

Thanks!

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. May 20, 2010 at 7:35 AM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    Soche and Metra make specific kits for our vehicles. Any Single DIN sized head unit will fit any of their single DIN sized kits. They make iPod capable head units that have connections in the rear that can be routed to the glove box or anywhere else you want and will play your iPod, have on screen head unit mounted controls or allow for your steeing wheel controls (if you have any) to operate the iPod while also charging it. If you will do a full system upgrade or need to bypass a factory amp you may need to go to a generic harness for your receiver and tie in each wire individually or at least tie in some parts off the harness with plugs on each end (non generic) for things like a steering wheel controler, amp turn on, etc.

Products Discussed in

To Top