Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Shark-Fin OEM antenna questions

Old 05-23-2010, 01:12 PM   #1
Cracker in a Taco
KnurledNut is just really niceKnurledNut is just really niceKnurledNut is just really niceKnurledNut is just really niceKnurledNut is just really nice
Marines: 1st MarDiv
KnurledNut's Tacoma Gallery
Shark-Fin OEM antenna questions

I'm going freakin' nuts here!

I have the Sirius equipment all wired with power. I used the SharkFin adapter from the OEM plug to the Sirius receiver. When powered up the Sirius says NO ANTENNA. So, I plugged in the magnetic antenna that came with the kit and the antenna warning goes away.

Any ideas what I did wrong?
Old 05-23-2010, 03:05 PM   #2
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
IIRC, the stock sat antenna is for XM only...
Old 05-23-2010, 03:38 PM   #3
If You Search...You Shall Find.
uood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Uniform / Marked Patrol
uood8's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
IIRC, the stock sat antenna is for XM only...
Nah ... i'm using it with sirius. I didn't pay 80 dollars for the adapter however. I just spliced my antenna wires together at the kick panel and heat shrunk everything.
Old 05-23-2010, 03:40 PM   #4
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by uood8 View Post
Nah ... i'm using it with sirius. I didn't pay 80 dollars for the adapter however. I just spliced my antenna wires together at the kick panel and heat shrunk everything.
hmm...that i did not know. i always saw XM related stuff and nothing about sirius
Old 05-23-2010, 03:50 PM   #5
If You Search...You Shall Find.
uood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Uniform / Marked Patrol
uood8's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
hmm...that i did not know. i always saw XM related stuff and nothing about sirius
Technically, XM and sirius antennas operate on different frequencies but they are so close that either antenna will work, just each brands antennas will respectively have better signal quality when matched together. so i have heard.

That being said, i have full signal on my sirius unit and get good reception with the OEM antenna. Some people say it depends on the radio (not sure why that would matter but whatever). I can't say every sirius radio will work with the oem antenna....but mine does and i have the bottom of the barrel stratus junk (aka free) radio.
Old 05-23-2010, 03:51 PM   #6
Sooooooper Moderator

^^that's cool. good info for everyone.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:33 PM   #7
Ulysiss has a spectacular aura aboutUlysiss has a spectacular aura about

Name: Ulysiss
Ulysiss's Tacoma Gallery
im looking for a oem sharkfin antenna if any one wants to sell there or can point me to the right derection