1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lookinf for some 5 channel amp input?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by 07speedwayblue, May 25, 2010.

1. May 25, 2010 at 1:05 PM
    07speedwayblue

07speedwayblue [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    michael
    nineveh, Indiana
    Vehicle:
    07tacoma sport 4x4 doublecab
    Jason Rage lid, husky floorliners, Procomp 6" stage 1 lift , bilstein 5100 upfront, 33x12.50r17 MT ATZ tires MT 17x9 Classic Locks,stainless steel brake lines,N-Fab ss nerf bars,smittybuilt grille saver, Amp bed extender,Mbrp cool dual t409 exhaust. KCHiLites Daylighter Driving Lights 6", Pioneer AVH-P4300DVD, HD Tunner, Rear Camera, Focal K2 Power 6.5" Component Speakers Front/Back, Infinity Kappa Four and Kappa One Amps, Infinity Kappa 10" DVC Subs,PowerStop Drilled/Slotted Rotors ,PowerStop Heavy Duty Towing Brake Pads, Blue Painted calipers.
    I don`t want to run an alpine pdx-5 amp. I have a new in the box alpine cda 9887 h.u. I need to power 2 sets one front and rear Focal k2power 165kf componets. they are 80 rms speakers. I`m looking at either a polk mm1040 dvc or maybe a kicke 8" L7 dvc sub. I was looking at the infinity kappa five , but it only 50 rms x 4ch. Anyone have anything to say about MB Quarts ? I was looking at the MB quarts ONX 4.80/500 5 ch amp? I was also thinking of just going with an infinity kappa four and kappa one amps? Any good input would be great!!!!!!

2. May 25, 2010 at 1:27 PM
    dangerbird

dangerbird Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma SR5
    This is so much personal taste. I was disappointed with my MB Quartz, Liked the Boston Acoustics a lot, and really liked my Infinitys. My new system is going to be A Pioneer AVH-4200DVD and DLS Speakers and 4 Channel amp. I like mostly folk and easy listening and really care about clarity over loudness. I used to love old Soundstream amps, but they went south after a buyout. Their new stuff like the Human Reign series looks good, but I'm still a little leary. I don't think you can go wrong with the Infinitys, but some people find them a little bright sounding. It really is up to your ears and personal taste.

3. May 25, 2010 at 2:38 PM
    07speedwayblue

Member:
    First Name:
    michael
    nineveh, Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Jason Rage lid, husky floorliners, Procomp 6" stage 1 lift , bilstein 5100 upfront, 33x12.50r17 MT ATZ tires MT 17x9 Classic Locks,stainless steel brake lines,N-Fab ss nerf bars,smittybuilt grille saver, Amp bed extender,Mbrp cool dual t409 exhaust. KCHiLites Daylighter Driving Lights 6", Pioneer AVH-P4300DVD, HD Tunner, Rear Camera, Focal K2 Power 6.5" Component Speakers Front/Back, Infinity Kappa Four and Kappa One Amps, Infinity Kappa 10" DVC Subs,PowerStop Drilled/Slotted Rotors ,PowerStop Heavy Duty Towing Brake Pads, Blue Painted calipers.
    Thanks for the input! This is going into my wife`s truck so I`m not looking for super loud, more sound quality! Her and my 2 kids 10 & 8 yrs old spend alot of time in the tacoma!! We home school so they do alot of driving. There are so many amps it`s really hard to pick one. I don`t want to spend alot of $ , because I need a high power sound quality amp for my f250. I love it loud!!!!

4. May 25, 2010 at 3:21 PM
    dangerbird

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma SR5
    In the racing world they say "Speed cost son, how fast do you want to go?" It's kind of the same with Audio equipment. I really think the Infinity would probably serve you well as long as you don't have a teenager who wants to rattle the windows. The real danger is driving the amp into distortion and damaging the speakers. The Infinity amp should give you plenty of room before that happens. But ideally and with no budget you could get a higher power amp, but do you really think you need it? Up to you. Anyway, good luck hopefully some others will chime in. More opinions are better than just one.

5. May 25, 2010 at 3:28 PM
    07speedwayblue

Member:
    First Name:
    michael
    nineveh, Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Thanks dangerbird!!

6. May 25, 2010 at 6:34 PM
    itsmyturn

itsmyturn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Victorville, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 dbl cab TRD sport
    afe Pro-Dry S dropin, Readylift leveling kit, TRD skid plate, Alpine CDA-9887, 6K D2S HID
    i would also look at the kenwood xr-4s and xr-1r. very small digital amps that can be had on the cheap.

7. May 25, 2010 at 6:42 PM
    glandnut

glandnut Reserve Squirrel Hair

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    16' 4Runner TEP, 01' Ext cab 4x4
    secret stuff.
    Just out of curiosity, why not the PDX-5?

8. May 25, 2010 at 7:37 PM
    07speedwayblue

Member:
    First Name:
    michael
    nineveh, Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Well alpine fixed the problems or improved on all the other pdx amps and didn`t do anything for the pdx-5. I`ve never heard a system powered by one , but I have read aloy of reviews, and for the $ and for the output , I think it`s a waste!

9. May 26, 2010 at 7:57 AM
    07speedwayblue

Member:
    First Name:
    michael
    nineveh, Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Any thoughts on the boston acoustics gt-5750 5 ch amp?

10. May 26, 2010 at 8:18 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    I'm not going to get into brands as that is very much personal taste in sound output/quality. But I would recommend that you consider a seperate 4 channel and sub amp. Makes it easier to select power appropriately for each component and also, from my own experience, it's easier to replace one or the other as needs, or reliability problem(s) come into play.

I have seperate speaker and sub amps, and have replaced both at different times due to amps going bad (9-10 years of use, so not bad amps, just age) and my requirements changing. Downside to seperating the amps is more wiring to run and, possibly, amp space to find.

Your needs, your decision though.

11. May 26, 2010 at 9:03 AM
    07speedwayblue

Member:
    First Name:
    michael
    nineveh, Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Good points lurkin!! Thanks!!

12. May 26, 2010 at 9:19 AM
    sirsaechao

sirsaechao Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota Tacoma SR5 TRD 3.4L 4X4 V6
    A lift, some wheels, some tires, some performance, some cosmetic and then audio.
    I have a Kappa Five amp.

13. May 26, 2010 at 10:29 AM
    Northcountry

Northcountry Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Larr
    Kelowna, bc
    Vehicle:
    Trd
    For the money ($200-300) I would look at a used kicker 5 channel or US Amps five channel. Good clean power and better then some of the amps mentioned above. Both could be had for around $200+ range on any of the online audio forums.

14. May 26, 2010 at 7:39 PM
    glandnut

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    secret stuff.
    The guy who did the Kappa 5 amp install within the underseat bins of the double cab was pretty cool.

15. May 26, 2010 at 7:45 PM
    glandnut

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    secret stuff.
    Yes, I agree with your points, and that is why I'm waiting to see if they soon appear with the revamped PDX-5. The Leviathan is too large and has too many build issues, the JL HD 5 channel is too expensive although the new XD looks promising.

16. May 27, 2010 at 3:53 AM
    07speedwayblue

Member:
    First Name:
    michael
    nineveh, Indiana
    Vehicle:
    After tons of reading , I just bit the bullet and narrowed it down to the infinity kaapa four and the polk audio pa500.4 and I went with the infinity kappa four and will run the infinity kappa one for my sub/subs. Thanks a million for all your input!

17. May 27, 2010 at 4:15 AM
    dangerbird

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma SR5
    Lets us know how it sounds when you get it done. Good choices, I think you will have a nice system there.

18. May 27, 2010 at 8:41 AM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    The XD 600/6 will give you 90-100x4 at 2 Ohms (are your older Focal components 2 or 4 Ohom?)but the sub channel (bridged 5&6 channels) will only give 180-200x1 for the sub. Still for $400 and under it would work for what the OP wants. The amp is close in specs to the HD amps but unregualted power supply, no balanced differential inputs, etc. I think the OP is kind of nuts going for such expensive speakers and wanting to cheap out on an amp but thats just me... K2 components are not cheap.

I have been able to A/B the new Alpine PDX vs JL HD amps and the JL has a slight but noticable improvement in sound quality. I am going HD 900/5 but for 2 Ohm components the power drops from 100x4 4 Ohm to 75 x4 2 Ohm and 500x1 on the sub channel (way more than any other of the multi channel amps except the Leviathan which has had noise floor issues, build issues etc). It can be had for $600 online or $700 from an authorised dealer.

To the OP... why not consider a 10" IDQ sub and go with the full 500W? It fits nicely in your double cab on the small side storage area and will produce clean sound and more output than the other choices running less power? It seems like you are trying to go for more effeicent smaller speakers to make up for the lack of sub channel power you will see from most of the multi channel set ups... why not just spend the money and get all the power and quality to match your expensive components?

19. May 27, 2010 at 4:48 PM
    07speedwayblue

Member:
    First Name:
    michael
    nineveh, Indiana
    Vehicle:
    I have the focals in my f250 , I installed them last september. I have a diesel and my truck is lift 14" and lis really loud , and I need more power and speakers that can handle the power. I bought a set of boston acoustics pro60se for the front doors of my wife`s tacoma and she liked the focals better , and I liked the boston acoustics better. So with haveing to buy all the stuff for her system and also pay about $700.-$800 to get her procomp lift installed and the truck alinedl and her new mickey thompson classic losks and mickey thompson atz mounted, I just can`t buy any better amps right now. Plus she don`t listen to music loud at all. So for work wise this has been a really bad year to be a flooring installer also!! Thanks for all the input!!!

Products Discussed in

To Top