1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Very disappointed in Phoenix Gold RSD speaker

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by TRDHead, May 26, 2008.

1. May 26, 2008 at 7:17 PM
    TRDHead

TRDHead [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Knoxville, Tn
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma SR5 Ex. Cab TRD 4 x 4 , 3.4L 5 spd
    All Stock
    Well, I got all the install done this weekend and I am very disappointed in the PG RSD 6.5 components and coaxials. These things have NO mid range at all. Good mid bass and sizzling highs with the crossovers on 0db instead of the factory set +2db. I am bringing them in at about 260+-htz on the fosgate crossover.

Anyone else running these speakers getting the same thing? I am running a Fosgate T400.4 on the highs.

I guess I just miss my old Soundstream SPL 65 components that I let go with my last truck. I should be kicked.

Anyone know who makes a decent set of 6.5 comp speakers with midrange now-days?

Fosgate , polk, Alpine all lack mid range in the seperate class. The Fosgate 3 way sound closer than anything I have heard so far but I wanted seperates up front.

Anyone want two sets of PG RSD cheap?

Bill

2. May 26, 2008 at 7:28 PM
    tex

tex Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2006 V8 Sport 4Runner
    you should check out some Morel's. If I ever get around to upgrading the speakers in my truck I will go with some of these. They are pricey but I think they are worth it.

3. May 27, 2008 at 9:52 AM
    Mr Marv

Mr Marv 1-831-383-0308 7am-10pm pst Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Marv
    Monterey Bay California
    Vehicle:
    Custom Built Enclosures/speaker adapters etc
    When you say "I am bringing them in at about 260+-htz on the fosgate crossover" do you mean you have the high pass filter set at 260hz?

4. May 27, 2008 at 11:28 AM
    atsaubrey

atsaubrey Dealer/Sales Rep for Sundown Audio.

Member:
    california
    Vehicle:
    blue 2007 double cab
    Sundown Audio 100.4 and 1500D, Pioneer 880PRS, Zapco Refernece 6.5" comps, 2 10" Image Dynamics IDQ, 200ft of Second Skin deadener, Kicker wire
    That is extremely odd, I have heard nothing but GREAT review of these speakers. I have a feeling you have your x-overs goofed up somewhere.

5. May 27, 2008 at 1:09 PM
    TRDHead

Member:
    Knoxville, Tn
    Vehicle:
    All Stock
    Marv, Yes I have the HP crossover on the T400 set about 260 or so. There is a large gap on the dial between 125-380 or so and I assume it at about 250-260 set between the two. I have also ran them on passive crossovers that come with them and it sounds about the same.

The tweeters are to sizzly like the Polk Momos. I ran the older Soundstream SPL 60G's before in my other truck and they were awesome. I guess I was just expecting the same from the PG as the reviews stated. I am still tweeking it and going to give it some time to break in the speakers and see if anything changes. If not, I will be looking for other drivers.

These drivers would probably sound nice on about 25 w RMS with the passive crossovers that come with them. I think any more power than that really shows the gap between the freq's in them. I could be wrong though.

Bill

6. May 27, 2008 at 2:18 PM
    Mr Marv

Member:
    First Name:
    Marv
    Monterey Bay California
    Vehicle:
    Bill,
    I have not used those speakers personally however 260hz high pass is too high for a 2 way setup as it filters out the lower midrange as well as midbass (I'm guessing you have a sub which you have crossed over at the same spot and you didn't mention a dedicated midbass?). If in fact it is just a 2 way up front my suggestion would be to first lower the crossover to about 80hz as a starting point for both high pass/low pass and see what it sounds like from there. BTW, I just re-read what you posted and I'm a little confused. Are you running a passive between the mid/tweeter on a set of components up front and coaxials in the rear?

7. May 27, 2008 at 6:40 PM
    TRDHead

Member:
    Knoxville, Tn
    Vehicle:
    All Stock
    Yes, I am running the front RSD 6.5 components up front which consist of a 6.5 mid driver and a seperate tweeter. I have wired it both ways by just using the output of the passive crossover on tweeter ( I have no idea what the passive crossover points are as the literature is pretty generic) and using the active amp crossover on the mid in hp mode, and also tied the mid back into the passive crossover and swapped the active crossover to ap mode. It sounds basically the same.

I cannot cross the mids over on the amp at 80 as they are an agressive mid bass driver and travel a lot and start barking. I have worked with the gains and crossovers and keep getting a little better but still not what I expected.

also, I am running the 6.5 coaxials in the rear on the same 260hz or so and they actually sound better than the seperates up front.

This is all new equipment as I had plan to run old school stuff but could not find drivers. The old fosgate fanatics, pyle mids and so forth are long gone and I miss that mid range/punch sound.

When I get a few minutes to crank it I will get a better set on the gains from full volume and tweek the crossover point at the same time and see how that works. They actually sound a little less sizzly after a couple of hours playing. Maybe they will burn in ok.

Bill

8. May 27, 2008 at 8:55 PM
    Mr Marv

Member:
    First Name:
    Marv
    Monterey Bay California
    Vehicle:
    Bill, if you'd like you can call me at 1-831-383-0308 and I'll see if I can help you figure it out (unfortunately I don't type well enough/fast enough to do it here). :)

9. May 30, 2008 at 5:34 AM
    TRDHead

Member:
    Knoxville, Tn
    Vehicle:
    All Stock
    Marv, I keep forgetting to call you on this. Its been crazy here at work and I am 3 hrs time diff also.

Anyway, I have decided to sell the PG RSD and go with the Rockford P162 setup. I heard a set of these yesterday with the same amp I am using now and it is closer to exactly what I want.

If anyone wants the PG RSD's let me know, I have posted them in the for sale column.

thanks,
    Bill

Products Discussed in

To Top