Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Boss BASS1200 10-Inch Low Profile Amplified Subwoofer with Remote Subwoofer Level Con

Old 05-26-2010, 11:03 PM   #1
elchimpo is on a distinguished road
Name: Gustavo
elchimpo's Tacoma Gallery
Boss BASS1200 10-Inch Low Profile Amplified Subwoofer with Remote Subwoofer Level Con

is this product worth it

http://www.amazon.com/Boss-BASS1200-...4711139&sr=1-2
Old 05-26-2010, 11:12 PM   #2
Lil Blue
scdude37 is on a distinguished road

Name: kendall
scdude37's Tacoma Gallery
personally i don't think so. I have never heard one like that, but if i was going to get a lil thump i would get a shallow mount or a true subwoofer. I am putting in a 12" kicker L7 here in the next couple days and getting my pics up, also have a pioneer headunit double din. I would recommend this setup to anyone!!!
Old 05-26-2010, 11:25 PM   #3
efmugen will become famous soon enough

efmugen's Tacoma Gallery
I was close to getting this setup also because of the limited space I have but ended up getting a 10 inch bazooka because it was out of stock at the time.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:29 PM   #4
Viet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Viet
Viet2100's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Viet2100
Looks useless.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:30 PM   #5
Banned
4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
4x4jeep's Tacoma Gallery
I got it mounted it under my seat. Sounds ok but probably not worth the money
Old 06-08-2010, 03:48 PM   #6
AlphaGeek is on a distinguished road
AlphaGeek's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchimpo View Post
I love how people who've never used a particular product have opinions about its performance and suitability for specific applications. Anyway...

I have a BASS1200 mounted under the driver's seat of my 2002 DC. There simply wasn't any room anywhere else in the relatively cramped confines of my 1st-gen DC cabin to install a sub, as the space behind the rear seats is occupied by a hardwired AC inverter and a bunch of emergency gear.

Short version: I really like it, and it's perfect for my needs. Like most people, >95% of my driving hours are solo. The rest are with wife, 3 kids + dog on road trips and camping expeditions. When I'm by myself, the sub fires up directly through seat, augmenting the bass from the door speakers very nicely. When the truck is full of people, the last thing I need is MORE noise from a booming sub, so the ability to turn it down from the remote is quite nice. Mine is mounted on the underside of the dash in the handbrake recess, and there's no interference with handbrake actuation.

Installation was a fair bit of work, and required removing the driver's seat from the truck. This gave me a great opportunity (and motivation) to give the interior a thorough cleaning when I saw 8+ years of crud in the inaccessible areas. Very satisfying once it was clean, though.

Other install details:
* Pulled up carpet and relocated wiring harness junctions 2-3" towards door opening to make room for sub to sit on floor pan
* Removed and reworked the HVAC floor duct which would otherwise have made it impossible to fit sub under seat. Cut, bent with heat gun and re-glued into a cobra-type S-curve to rise up over sub. (This was a SIGNIFICANT amount of effort to get right -- not hard, just a bunch of time to think it through and get it reshaped properly)

Running the power and control wiring was pretty easy, especially since I'd done similar work previously for the 2kW AC inverter and the always-on 12V ports under the dash. I solved the whole subwoofer-line-out problem by also upgrading the OEM double-DIN stereo head unit to a JVC KW-XR810 with built-in iPod/iPhone support.

Hope this helps.

-AG
Old 06-08-2010, 03:54 PM   #7
TacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jackson
TacomaJack09's Tacoma Gallery
Yep I actually bought the smaller 8 inch Boss Bass and it sounds great, I have it under the seat in my reg cab. It takes a lil adjusting, if you don't know how to adjust the levels right on the amp, stereo, ipod?? then it will sound like shit, but if you do it sounds great. Atleast the 8" sub does.

Well worth the money, but the price did rise a little bit since I purchased it 1.5 months ago. Its not going to blow anyone socks off or anything, but it's perfect to fill in that missing thump.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:29 PM   #8
AlphaGeek is on a distinguished road
AlphaGeek's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaJack09 View Post
Yep I actually bought the smaller 8 inch Boss Bass and it sounds great, I have it under the seat in my reg cab. It takes a lil adjusting, if you don't know how to adjust the levels right on the amp, stereo, ipod?? then it will sound like shit, but if you do it sounds great. Atleast the 8" sub does.
If I were to do it again, I'd probably go with the 8" sub to reduce the challenge of fitting it under the seat. I couldn't resist my tendency towards over-engineering everything when I was making the 8-vs-10 decision, I guess.

-AG
Old 06-10-2010, 04:57 AM   #9
Ancient or so i'm told
64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Denis
64Wildcat's Tacoma Gallery
I just installed this one last week, it's a Kenwood KSC-SW10 so far it's been pretty good.

Denis