1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Installed Eclipse AVN2210p

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by taco910, May 28, 2008.

1. May 28, 2008 at 12:42 PM
    taco910

taco910 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    '08 TRD
    Since your site was helpful in my shopping, I figured I share my HU upgrade. I bought an '08 Tacoma and it didnt have XM in the ones on the lot. I easily installed the XM direct on my '04 yukon myself for under a $100 so I figured no big deal. I also realized it didnt have an aux. input for my ipod. Who does that these days! I wanted the truck anyways and I enjoy tinkering with stuff so I decided to do it myself. I didnt want plug and play - dont like the cables on my dash and wanted a hard wire. The factory deck did have XM control capability with a $250 adapter that also had an aux. for an ipod. With cables and shipping, came to about $300. I figured for that much I could upgrade the head unit. I decided on this unit on Crutchfield. Toyota is actually installing a similar unit in the new Urban Runners.

www.crutchfield.com/App/Produc...3&tp=5684&avf=N

here are some pics of my finished install.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Install notes: It fits great, easy to install, sturdy, and the black metra dash kit looks great although some will argue that the scosche is better (metra's is free w/ crutchfield!) Crutchfield also has a grey metra kit. The only problem with metra's kit is the hazard button sticks.

Crutchfiled said that since Toyota owns Eclipse, the harnesses would hook up direct - not true.

Ran ipod/gps/xmdirect wires behind glove box (easy to get off, tricky to get back on). Mounted xm antenna through door frame next to the fm antenna. Ran the gps antenna into the corner and used supplied pad to stick to dash. Only 2 small scratches!

Satellite: Sirius has their firmware ready for this model but not XM. Supposedly its coming soon and since I still had 6 months paid on XM, I'll try to be patient! I went ahead and installed xmdirect and eclipse adapter.

Ipod: The ipod connection is ok. Ipod control through touch screen is cool. It charges my ipod hidden out of site in the glove box. My 2 biggest gripes are the ipod's find function screws up occasionally and disconnects the ipod, and everytime I restart the car, the ipod goes back to the first song. Kinda annoying but I'll get over it. The Eclipse folks said they'd get back to me about these items so hopefully they're minor bugs.

GPS: I like the portable tomtom. Accurate too.

Audio: Sounds great. My ears aren't picky but it blows away the factory HU.

Fire away with any questions!

Products Discussed in

To Top