1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Amp questions/suggestions

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by KevinH, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Jun 6, 2010 at 4:18 PM
    KevinH

KevinH [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    I have a 2010 Tacoma SR5 Access Cab. All the current audio components are from the factory. I'd like to increase the volume and quality of the sound. Especially when it comes to the Sirius satellite radio I typically listen to. It seems the best way for me to do that would be to add an amp. I'm an a/v greenhorn though I do have some level of commonsense and know-how. What I'm looking for from you guys is suggestions, recommendations, and maybe even some instructions. I'm just looking for an inexpensive($100 +/-) way to improve the sound. Hope/plan to do the installation by myself. I've done some research and almost bought an amp(Boss CX 350) and installation kit but then came up with some questions. Do I need a line output converter?, for example. Any and all info you can give me would be helpful and appreciated!!

2. Jun 6, 2010 at 5:37 PM
    dolbytone

dolbytone Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road
    Sirius sounds like crap no matter what you listen to it through.

I'm not saying don't upgrade, I'm just saying don't do it for more fidelity from Sirius. Are you unhappy with the quality of how your CDs sound? If the answer is no, you don't need a new stereo/amp.

3. Jun 7, 2010 at 6:26 AM
    jizzam93

jizzam93 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    H-Town, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 DC PreRunner SR5
    YES!!
    Hello and welcome to TW.

Adding an amp would give you better sounds, but you do also need to get better speakers, in replacement of the factory ones. Adding an amp alone will do no justice if your speakers are stock. Stock speakers, which I'm sure you are aware of, are made of cheap materials. You can also check out the Audio section here. There are tons of posts regarding speaker/amp/HU recommendations.

4. Jun 7, 2010 at 6:29 AM
    81shark

81shark Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Base Access CP1
    for the budget, i'd get the best 6.5 or 6x9 coaxial speakers that you can find. no sense in amping, the stock speakers would blow up.

5. Jun 7, 2010 at 6:38 AM
    jizzam93

jizzam93 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    H-Town, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 DC PreRunner SR5
    YES!!
    Yup!!

6. Jun 7, 2010 at 3:44 PM
    KevinH

KevinH [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Hey Guys,

Thanks for the quick responses to my question! Just want to elaborate on it a bit more even though it seems better speakers are the way to go.

I almost exclusively listen to Sirius music and sports talk channels. I'm not too concerned about the ultimate quality of the sound as I don't think I have the ear to tell the difference. The issue is that, even with the volume maxed out on the factory stereo and the Sirius unit, it's not even close to loud. I can barely even understand the talk radio at all with the windows down on the highway.

Guess I'll be shopping for some better speakers soon. BTW, what size speakers am I looking for?

Thanks again for the help and welcoming me to the forum!!

Kevin

7. Jun 8, 2010 at 6:27 AM
    81shark

81shark Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Base Access CP1
    roll your windows up on the highway.

you can go 6.5 or 6x9 in the front doors. the 2010's have different set ups than my 06, so i can't comment.

a good quick way to check what fits is to go to crutchfield.com and go speaker shopping. you enter your ride and it will only show things that fit.

however, you may want to buy someplace else to save a few dollars. but they also typically include the speaker brackets to mount em.

Products Discussed in

To Top