Notices

Aftermarket In-Dash Navigation

Old 06-25-2010, 06:49 PM   #1
magneticgrayTRD
magneticgrayTRD is on a distinguished road
Name: Shaun
magneticgrayTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Aftermarket In-Dash Navigation

I have a 2010 Double Cab TRD Sport with the factory JBL, satellite radio option which of course has the factory satellite antenna. Will an aftermarket in dash navigation unit splice in to this antenna instead of having to run a separate one that comes with the unit? Thanks.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:20 PM   #2
maju is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaju is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaju is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaju is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaju is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaju is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaju is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaju is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaju is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaju is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaju is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Retired
maju's Tacoma Gallery
The frequencies for the signials are differant, but the antenna may have a wide enough reception spectrum to do both. That being said a radio antenna would be "tuned" for satillite radio and if you are in a degraded area for GPS then it might not get a lock on the signial

But if you are have good signial for both GPS and radio it should be OK as long as you are not "near" the extreme ends of the signial. GPS usually needs 3 seperate satelite signials to get a "lock" while radio only one.

I am guessing that if there is any concern it would probly not be be the GPS signial other wise planes, trains, and yes even automobiles would not work well with GPS (see here for more info on GPS signials http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Positioning_System)
I am thinking that the single point of referance the sat radio needs is would be the most likly issue for remote travel.

Also realise that for US GPS makers, most of areas that people travel in are US, Mexico, and Canada the signial for GPS is good enough that the GPS maker does not specify the need for a special antenna a GPS unit "placed on the dash" is what they are selling.

Just make sure the GPS has the latest maps loaded in the device for were you are traveling. Not much worse than getting to a border and the GPS stops telling you were to go.

The sat radio signial maybe pointed at a area (large as it maybe) of dense population. Meaning that the GPS may work in the yucatan peninsula but you may have a problem hearing howard stern in that location.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:12 AM   #4
tony92629 is just really nicetony92629 is just really nicetony92629 is just really nicetony92629 is just really nice

Name: Tony
tony92629's Tacoma Gallery
I have the same deal 2010 Double cab and would like to do the same thing. Let me know how yours turns out - pics would be great
Old 07-15-2010, 06:30 PM   #6
magneticgrayTRD
magneticgrayTRD is on a distinguished road
Name: Shaun
magneticgrayTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadmb2003 View Post
I'm assuming you're talking about the sat antenna not the nav antenna. Here's how to do it: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...-location.html
No, I'm not talking about the sat antenna. If you buy and in dash nav unit there will be a second antenna to run for the unit. My question is will the factory satellite antenna work for the GPS signal. Like on most cars. My wife's car has the same/similar antenna that works for satellite radio and GPS. I just didn't want to have to run another antenna for the nav unit if it could splice into and work with the factory satellite antenna.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:03 AM   #7
Ain't nobody got time for dat!
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DEEVON911's Tacoma Gallery
Why is that damn adapter wire so expensive. Its just a plug with a wire! Anyone know where you can get it cheaper? Cheapest I found it was 50-something.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:48 AM   #8
bookmonke has much to be proud ofbookmonke has much to be proud ofbookmonke has much to be proud ofbookmonke has much to be proud ofbookmonke has much to be proud ofbookmonke has much to be proud ofbookmonke has much to be proud ofbookmonke has much to be proud of
Name: Mark
bookmonke's Tacoma Gallery
You don't need to tap into that antenna, just stick the gps antenna on the aftermarket or someplace metal under the dash and not worry about splicing. I put my antenna up above the glove box reception is great, I had it mounted up on the metal plate by the sunglass holder and reception sucked there.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:08 AM   #9
epa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eduardo
epa4wd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookmonke View Post
You don't need to tap into that antenna, just stick the gps antenna on the aftermarket or someplace metal under the dash and not worry about splicing. I put my antenna up above the glove box reception is great, I had it mounted up on the metal plate by the sunglass holder and reception sucked there.
Agree, once you remove the radio take a look and you'll see a space between the A/C ducts and the top of the dash, thats were I have my antenna and I have no reception issues.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:20 AM   #10
Ain't nobody got time for dat!
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DEEVON911's Tacoma Gallery
sorry I was talking about the sat antenna, has anyone ever just spliced into that wire insted of buying that adapter? If so how did it work?
Old 02-07-2012, 04:06 PM   #11
neophyte
John BIG will become famous soon enoughJohn BIG will become famous soon enough
Name: mann
John BIG's Tacoma Gallery
Hi Craig.... Thanks a lot for the info. I'll try to copy what you did. My preggy wife bought me an after market Caska for my excellent behavior.lol.. I still have to get in touch with you to get a new grille, when everything is settled....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerTaco View Post
running the second antenna for a Nav unit is SIMPLE. I just did it 2 days ago & It too like 10 min.
ran the wire under the windshield gasket & the antenna magnet mounts in the center top of the windshield.