1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Aftermarket In-Dash Navigation

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by magneticgrayTRD, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Jun 25, 2010 at 6:49 PM
    magneticgrayTRD

magneticgrayTRD [OP] magneticgrayTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Shaun
    B.G. KY
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport
    I have a 2010 Double Cab TRD Sport with the factory JBL, satellite radio option which of course has the factory satellite antenna. Will an aftermarket in dash navigation unit splice in to this antenna instead of having to run a separate one that comes with the unit? Thanks.

2. Jun 25, 2010 at 8:20 PM
    maju

maju Well-Known Member

Member:
    Davenport Fl
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Silver TRD Sport 4x4
    Undercover tonneau, Scangauge II, Garmin GPS, Michelin LTX M/S2
    The frequencies for the signials are differant, but the antenna may have a wide enough reception spectrum to do both. That being said a radio antenna would be "tuned" for satillite radio and if you are in a degraded area for GPS then it might not get a lock on the signial

But if you are have good signial for both GPS and radio it should be OK as long as you are not "near" the extreme ends of the signial. GPS usually needs 3 seperate satelite signials to get a "lock" while radio only one.

I am guessing that if there is any concern it would probly not be be the GPS signial other wise planes, trains, and yes even automobiles would not work well with GPS (see here for more info on GPS signials http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Positioning_System)
    I am thinking that the single point of referance the sat radio needs is would be the most likly issue for remote travel.

Also realise that for US GPS makers, most of areas that people travel in are US, Mexico, and Canada the signial for GPS is good enough that the GPS maker does not specify the need for a special antenna a GPS unit "placed on the dash" is what they are selling.

Just make sure the GPS has the latest maps loaded in the device for were you are traveling. Not much worse than getting to a border and the GPS stops telling you were to go.

The sat radio signial maybe pointed at a area (large as it maybe) of dense population. Meaning that the GPS may work in the yucatan peninsula but you may have a problem hearing howard stern in that location.

3. Jun 25, 2010 at 8:39 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    running the second antenna for a Nav unit is SIMPLE. I just did it 2 days ago & It too like 10 min.
    ran the wire under the windshield gasket & the antenna magnet mounts in the center top of the windshield.:D

4. Jun 26, 2010 at 10:12 AM
    tony92629

tony92629 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Dana Point
    Vehicle:
    2010 White Tacoma Prerunner
    5100's all the way around. Front set at .85. Camburg Spindles. Camburg Uniball 1.25 UCA's. Total Chaos LCA skid plates. Custom Deaver 10 pack rear leaf spring. BFG AT KO's 285/70/17, Weathertech floor liners, Wet Okoles. Midland CB/PA, Firestick.
    I have the same deal 2010 Double cab and would like to do the same thing. Let me know how yours turns out - pics would be great

5. Jun 26, 2010 at 10:18 AM
    Chad

Chad Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 V6 Access Cab TRD Sport
    Kenwood DMX-7704S Headunit -- Blackvue DR-470 Dashcam -- Pioneer TS-A1685R Speakers in Front -- Suntek CXP 40 Front Tint -- Access Vanish Roll-up Tonneau -- Wet Okole Seat Covers -- Fog Lights on Anytime -- PnL Powered Tailgate Lock -- DTRL "Stealth Mode" -- LED Footwell and Cup Holder Lights -- Map Lights ON with Dome Light -- Shorty Antenna -- AC Line Extension Mod -- Access Cab Rear Headrest Removal
  6. Jul 15, 2010 at 6:30 PM
    magneticgrayTRD

magneticgrayTRD [OP] magneticgrayTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Shaun
    B.G. KY
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport
    No, I'm not talking about the sat antenna. If you buy and in dash nav unit there will be a second antenna to run for the unit. My question is will the factory satellite antenna work for the GPS signal. Like on most cars. My wife's car has the same/similar antenna that works for satellite radio and GPS. I just didn't want to have to run another antenna for the nav unit if it could splice into and work with the factory satellite antenna.

7. Jul 19, 2010 at 9:03 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bethel Park, PA. Burb of da Burgh.
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM Mostly Stock Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    Why is that damn adapter wire so expensive. Its just a plug with a wire! Anyone know where you can get it cheaper? Cheapest I found it was 50-something.

8. Jul 19, 2010 at 10:48 AM
    bookmonke

bookmonke Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC PreRunner Rugged Trail
    You don't need to tap into that antenna, just stick the gps antenna on the aftermarket or someplace metal under the dash and not worry about splicing. I put my antenna up above the glove box reception is great, I had it mounted up on the metal plate by the sunglass holder and reception sucked there.

9. Jul 19, 2010 at 11:08 AM
    epa4wd

epa4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eduardo
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR
    Clazzio Seat Covers OR Wheels 40% tint Side Steps KC Fog Lights
    Agree, once you remove the radio take a look and you'll see a space between the A/C ducts and the top of the dash, thats were I have my antenna and I have no reception issues.

10. Jul 20, 2010 at 4:20 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bethel Park, PA. Burb of da Burgh.
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM Mostly Stock Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    sorry I was talking about the sat antenna, has anyone ever just spliced into that wire insted of buying that adapter? If so how did it work?

11. Feb 7, 2012 at 4:06 PM
    John BIG

John BIG neophyte

Member:
    First Name:
    mann
    Ocala
    Vehicle:
    Pre Runner SR5 '11
    moto metal 16x8, 165-70R16 r/t, baja roof basket, customize tops,avic z2 upgraded,all pro rear bumper
    Hi Craig.... Thanks a lot for the info. I'll try to copy what you did. My preggy wife bought me an after market Caska for my excellent behavior.lol.. I still have to get in touch with you to get a new grille, when everything is settled.... :D

Products Discussed in

To Top