1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Kenwood DNX9960 Garmin GPS - can't unlock maps

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by JDMcompliant, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Sep 16, 2010 at 9:12 AM
    JDMcompliant

JDMcompliant [OP] Professional Amateur

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma 4x4 4.0L V6
    So I bought a Kenwood DNX9960 a few months ago, and I've had a few gripes about the UI and usability in general of the unit, but this takes the cake. I turned on my unit after work, and tried go to the Navigation mode and got a "Can't Unlock Maps" error. Nothing works up to this point as far as navigation is concerned. Anyone know anything about this? I can't believe i paid almost $2,000 for a unit that craps out after a few months. Ugh.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Sep 16, 2010 at 4:19 PM
    flightcancled

flightcancled Addicted

Member:
    Syracuse NY/ Nantucket MA
    Camper top with racks, Custom fogs behind lower bumper. Interior LED lighting, Rock Lights, Hella 500s with upraged bulbs behind black billet grill, AAL, Front 5100s
    Call up Garmin and have all the paperwork for the unit in hand. You need to unlock them using a special code unique to that unit. You must have done something to have erased the key.

3. Sep 16, 2010 at 10:34 PM
    JDMcompliant

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma 4x4 4.0L V6
    I'll give that a shot, but no, I didn't do anything other than drive to work, turn off my truck, work, get off work, turn on my truck, and boom. Maps locked. I honestly hate this $2,000 POS.

4. Sep 17, 2010 at 6:06 AM
    C17Guy

C17Guy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Charleston, SC/ Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Readylift Kit, 245/75/16, HID's, Debadged, Kenwood DNX9960 Double Din Navigation, Image Dynamics Door Components, Pioneer Amp, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, Grillcraft Uppers and Lowers
    did you already do the garmin update that came out a while ago? i ran it before i deployed but i had the unit for a solid month without any issues. i believe the latest firmware from kenwood is the july update, and maybe june for the garmin up date.

5. Sep 17, 2010 at 8:43 AM
    JDMcompliant

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma 4x4 4.0L V6
    Yeah, I did. I have the latest firmware for both. I ran the unit for about 2 months now, with no issues. This seemed to pop up on it's own. I am super frustrated right now, I feel it coming out of my ears.

This is my email to Kenwood support, after getting off the phone with both their tech support and service center:

jesus. unless this gets solved in a graceful manner...i don't think i'm buying a kenwood product again.

6. Sep 17, 2010 at 6:19 PM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    Somehow you lost your key. They have programs for key generation but that wont be a graceful solution. Did it really cost you $2000? If so you got ripped off. I paid $1300, others $1250.

If you paid $2000 then your dealer should give you a new unit no questions asked and get it resolved on his own time and give you a blow job to boot.

Have you tried doing an install of the latest maps via the SD card? You should be able to get the maps, generate a key for them and install without issue. Its not like it is bricked. I know its a pain in the ass but it will get up and running again for sure.

7. Sep 17, 2010 at 11:45 PM
    C17Guy

C17Guy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Charleston, SC/ Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Readylift Kit, 245/75/16, HID's, Debadged, Kenwood DNX9960 Double Din Navigation, Image Dynamics Door Components, Pioneer Amp, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, Grillcraft Uppers and Lowers
    I hear ya JDM, and I'm sorry if I steered you to a wrong product.

I only got to run the HU for a couple months, and the most problems I had were just the random resets, but the new firmware fixed that for me before I left.

I have read of some occasions that there were some faulty units, and that mailing it in and receiving a new HU to replace it often fixed peoples problems.

I'm assuming bc its still a new product that are still issues. Hopefully Kenwood will step up and fix the issues people have been having.

8. Sep 18, 2010 at 1:09 AM
    all.on.black

all.on.black Well-Known Member

Member:
    Auburn, WA
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab Sport with a few mods
    I'm not surprised you're having problems with Kenwood. I had a 8120 for a while and the Nav took a crap on me. It just went to a black screen anytime you turned on the nav. Everything worked but the nav. Sent it in and they couldn't figure it out. They sent me a replacement and a few months in the nav was slow and the ipod connection become really slow. The bluetooth wouldn't transfer calls to the phone anymore. Sent that in and they sent me a new unit which is still sitting in it's box. I bought a 9140 to replace it and after 8 months the dvd rom took a dump. I took it apart and fixed it for about another month and now the dvd room is having a "mech error" again. I'm going to buy a new dvd room but it'll be the last time I buy a Kenwood product.

9. Sep 22, 2010 at 11:51 AM
    flightcancled

flightcancled Addicted

Member:
    Camper top with racks, Custom fogs behind lower bumper. Interior LED lighting, Rock Lights, Hella 500s with upraged bulbs behind black billet grill, AAL, Front 5100s
    ... any chance you are selling that 8120?

10. Sep 22, 2010 at 11:55 AM
    all.on.black

Member:
    Auburn, WA
    Vehicle:
    How much are you looking to spend? What's funny is I'm just now talking about installing it into my gf's car.

11. Sep 22, 2010 at 11:57 AM
    flightcancled

flightcancled Addicted

Member:
    I'll be honest I don't have a ton to spend, but if its just collecting dust I could really use it. PM me what you want for it and maybe I can figure something out.

Thanks!

12. Sep 22, 2010 at 11:59 AM
    all.on.black

Member:
    Auburn, WA
    Vehicle:
    How about you just let me know what you can spend and I'll decide if I still want to install it into my gf's car.

13. Sep 22, 2010 at 12:00 PM
    flightcancled

flightcancled Addicted

Member:
    Done. PM'ed

Products Discussed in

To Top