1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

these Polk speakers any good?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Lunercrab, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Sep 14, 2008 at 10:40 PM
    Lunercrab

Lunercrab [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Lehigh Valley area, PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 off road cement
  2. Sep 14, 2008 at 11:55 PM
    JJ Customs

JJ Customs Supreme Leader!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    NV
    Vehicle:
    Silverado Crew Cab Z71, 5.3 made from real Tornado's!
    A few additions to make me feel cool.
    Hey bud I posted this a while ago thought it might help. I was able to get the speakers new in the box off of ebay for $122.00 including shipping.

"I installed the Kenwood KDC-X492 deck with Kenwood KFC-6982ie 6X9 in front and KFC-1682ie 6.5's in the rear doors. I used the kit from ********* and bought the baffles and deck from Crutchfield. Got the speakers new off ebay and did the whole upgrade for $411.00 It sounds good and I am impressed with the quality of the Kenwood gear, in the past I have been a Pioneer guy. The factory speakers are really poor quality however I must say that after pulling them out and looking at then I can't see how they sounded as good as they did. Anyway, just wanted to let you guys know that if you just want good sound you don't have to spend a fortune."

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  3. Sep 14, 2008 at 11:58 PM
    JJ Customs

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    NV
    Vehicle:
  4. Sep 15, 2008 at 1:17 AM
    nktrnl

nktrnl Active Member

Member:
    I had these in my rear doors and have the component version in the front. They are defiantly better than stock, but I am in the process of upgrading, if that says anything. I have been searching for better sound quality lately, and they are not what Im looking for anymore. But before I started trying to improve the sound I was happy with them. I dont know how well they will do off of the power from the deck as Im running amps.

Are you planning on using these on both front and rear?

5. Sep 15, 2008 at 3:11 PM
    Lunercrab

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Lehigh Valley area, PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 off road cement
    That's funny. He's the guy I got my HU from on ebay. I dunno I was looking to get some speakers from crutchfield, only cause they will come with the adapters and the wires. So when I saw the BOGO 50% sale for the polks, I figured it was worth the extra money. Maybe I'm wrong, but according to crutchfield, just the adapters and wire cost bout 35 bucks each front and back.

6. Sep 15, 2008 at 3:26 PM
    JJ Customs

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    NV
    Vehicle:
    Yeah that is funny. As for using Crutchfield I love those guys, actually if you order the speakers from them they will come from my home town in Charlottesville, Va. where the outlet is located however I wanted to use the 6X9 in the front and the 6.5 in the rear so I bought the kit from ********* and it came with everything anyway. As for as customer servise and all that well you can't beat Crutchfield.

7. Sep 15, 2008 at 5:38 PM
    TorenApart

TorenApart Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab SR5 TRD Sport
    Toytec Ultimate Lift Kit, OME Nitrocharger shocks and Dakar leafs, Total Chaos UCA's, 18'' Black XD Monster, 285/60R18 Cooper Zeon LTZ, Leer shell, OEM Skid Plate, Weather Tech Floor Mats, Lund Tonneau, Custom 2-tone gray leather, Aero Turbine 2525 muffler with AR25 resonator, Aero Turbine Exhaust Tip, Mr. Marv subwoofer enclosure w/ 2 JL 10W3v2's, AFE Pro Dry S, Eclipse AVN-6620, Pioneer PRS-D2100T, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5'' Front Components, Black Headlight Mod, Tinted tail lights, PL5300 with Eclipse BEC-109
    I've heard that the crutchfield speaker baffles are really terrible quality.

8. Sep 15, 2008 at 7:56 PM
    JJ Customs

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    NV
    Vehicle:
    No I have their baffles. I guess if you are expecting the plastic ones and due to not reading that the Crutchfield ones are foam you could feel that way. As for mine, they are exactly what I ordered and expected. As a matter of fact I heard that they guy that told you that was a dumb A$$! JK

9. Sep 15, 2008 at 10:13 PM
    Lunercrab

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Lehigh Valley area, PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 off road cement
    ok so i'm looking at crutchfield and i'm alittle confused...when i click on "front door" local for speakers, i get bout 30 of em' available to purchase, 6.5 and 5 1/4...but when i select rear doors, there are only like a few to choose from and most of those are 5 1/4 size....now i thought that both the front and the rears can be 6.5 right?...and if i chose one of the 6.5 speakers they have listed for the front, can i get the same speakers for the back as well?:help:

10. Sep 15, 2008 at 11:13 PM
    nktrnl

nktrnl Active Member

Member:
    Rear from the factory is 6.5. You should receive the proper adapters. Like I posted above, I had this set in my rear doors, (ordered from crutchfield too) and I got the proper adapters for front (6x9) and rear (6.5).

11. Sep 16, 2008 at 10:32 AM
    Mr Marv

Mr Marv 1-831-383-0308 7am-10pm pst Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Marv
    Monterey Bay California
    Vehicle:
    Custom Built Enclosures/speaker adapters etc
  12. Sep 16, 2008 at 4:17 PM
    TorenApart

TorenApart Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab SR5 TRD Sport
    Toytec Ultimate Lift Kit, OME Nitrocharger shocks and Dakar leafs, Total Chaos UCA's, 18'' Black XD Monster, 285/60R18 Cooper Zeon LTZ, Leer shell, OEM Skid Plate, Weather Tech Floor Mats, Lund Tonneau, Custom 2-tone gray leather, Aero Turbine 2525 muffler with AR25 resonator, Aero Turbine Exhaust Tip, Mr. Marv subwoofer enclosure w/ 2 JL 10W3v2's, AFE Pro Dry S, Eclipse AVN-6620, Pioneer PRS-D2100T, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5'' Front Components, Black Headlight Mod, Tinted tail lights, PL5300 with Eclipse BEC-109
    Mr. Marv knows his stuff... take his advice if you can and you'll be more satisfied than you would have thought possible.

13. Sep 16, 2008 at 7:49 PM
    Lunercrab

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Lehigh Valley area, PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 off road cement
    ok sorry to be such a pain, but crutchfield is driving me nuts...they are still telling me that regular 6.5s won't fit the rear doors and they are giving me like either really cheap speakers or very expensive speakers to choose from...they said anything other then those would stick out too much for the door panel...is that true???

the only ones they offer under 150.00 is these:
    http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=400&i=113KFC1361&tp=105

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=400&i=113KFC1660&tp=105

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=400&i=158GT1625A&tp=105

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=400&i=023GTC652&tp=105

now i'm not sure how the component speakers work...i mean where would i even mount the tweeters the come with them?

14. Sep 16, 2008 at 7:55 PM
    JJ Customs

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    NV
    Vehicle:
    The reason they are telling you that they will not fit is because they do not stock or sell the adapters for them. They only stock the ones for 6.5 in front and 5.5 in the rear. If you want to see what you can get to fit check out http://www.*********.com and you can see what you can get. I bought the kit from them and got my speakers from ebay.

15. Sep 16, 2008 at 8:06 PM
    Lunercrab

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Lehigh Valley area, PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 off road cement
    yeah i guess it's looking like i'm gunna have to wait n save up some money for a better setup then i was planning on getting from crutchfield....is ********* the only place i can get these special mounts?

16. Sep 16, 2008 at 11:11 PM
    nktrnl

nktrnl Active Member

Member:
    Get some mounts from this guy: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/members/mr-marv.html Ive heard nothing but good things. I dont really see the problem with the speakers. I did have to trim some of the plastic off of the the door panel, right behind the speaker grill, but nothing you can see when the panel is on. I dont think depth is too much of an issus either as my IDmax is pretty deep.
    If you really just want generic mounts for 6.5 rear speakers, I sell you the set that crutchfield gave me for $5 + shipping. If you are interested in the polk coax that you posted about above I have those too, but was sort of planning on throwing them in my wifes car later.

17. Sep 17, 2008 at 7:57 AM
    Tacomojo

Tacomojo Mojo Mofo

Member:
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Pro, AT, White
    My Crutchfield advisor said the $79/pr., Pioneer TSA1672R, 6 1/2" speakers would work in the rear if I added a 1/4" spacer to keep the door panel off the speaker. Well, I got these speakers (for the front and rear), along with the free mounting adapters, and did a test fit. Guess what? No added spacer was needed - the speakers went in fine with no clearance issues whatsoever. I'm tellin' ya' the TSA1672R's DO fit!

Oh, they sound just fine, too.

18. Sep 17, 2008 at 7:29 PM
    Lunercrab

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Lehigh Valley area, PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 off road cement
    quick question...would i be better off getting say 6x9's for the front instead of 6.5's?...i would think 6x9s would sound better...

19. Sep 17, 2008 at 7:34 PM
    JJ Customs

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    NV
    Vehicle:
    I have the 6X9's in mine with the 6.5's in back and it sounds great! If you don't you will regret it..

20. Sep 17, 2008 at 8:03 PM
    Lunercrab

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Lehigh Valley area, PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 off road cement
    yeah i'm figuring on getting 6x9s...so many opinions out there...alot of people say the 6.5s sound better and have better base... and some people say to spend more money on better fronts and just forget the rears...

hey did anyone ever buy off this site? http://www.sonicelectronix.com/

most of the speakers i was looking at on crutchfield are almost 40 bucks cheaper here....

Products Discussed in

To Top