1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone try this solution for the low volume using AUX

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by windowlicker, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Mar 30, 2011 at 11:59 PM
    windowlicker

windowlicker [OP] Member

Member:
    I see this problem is going back to the '09s and I just bought an '11. REALLY disappointed in the low volume and how Toyota has ignored this. Frankly I think its a flaw since you can't hear it on the freeway without maxing it.

So anyhow....

Anyone try a line out dock?

http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-L3-Line-Cable-iPhone/dp/B003UCESP8/ref=pd_sim_e_1

Will the HU amp the source signal its self then if the ipod/iphone isn't?

Any other cheap options if not? i saw the preamps but frankly I don't look forward to turning it on and off and keeping it charged.

Glad I didn't get the JBL upgrade, thought it sounded like crap for the price anyhow!

2. Mar 31, 2011 at 12:29 AM
    trackwhore

trackwhore Member

Member:
    I got the JBL upgrade on my 11' seriously I'm about to break the damn thing. The volume sucks, the stock sub is also crap.

3. Mar 31, 2011 at 6:59 AM
    csmobley

csmobley Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shanon
    Colorado Springs, Co
    Vehicle:
    2018 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road
    Gobi stealth rack 17x8.5 SCS F5, 285/70R17 BFGoodrich All Terrain KO2, Toytec suspension, Shrockwork sliders, Xenon Depot HID conversion, led fog light kit, TRD Pro conversion front end, front and rear valence
    I have also noticed this and I am wondering if by maybe installing some really good aftermarket speakers in the doors, and a small amp on those speakers, if I would notice a difference. I almost feel as if the stereo is ok, because when playing cds, it sounds really good, and Toyota sells an adapter that you can buy that hooks I think to the back of the stereo. I do not see though why considering they have the aux input out front. But I am wondering if this IS just a cheap alternative for the people that didn't want to get the optional adapter?

And if I did upgrade the speakers with an amp, and the stock head unit, would it actually make a difference. Is the stock head unit ok to do this with?

Any thoughts? Also had asked the question in another forum, about the speaker size? Someone told me 6x9 front, but would need adapters and 6.5 in the rear? Is this the actual size in front and rear? Or are they saying that you should go with 6x9 in the front and the adapter is to make that fit?

Sorry for the long winded response, but I too have some issues with this 30k truck! Just would think that Toyota would have stepped up to the plate a little for that kind of money.

4. Mar 31, 2011 at 7:02 AM
    JLink

JLink Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    Lifted, Locked, Armored. Ready To Wheel.
    Yea the stock radio was crap. Definitely worth upgrading to an aftermarket headunit. Super easy install too

5. Mar 31, 2011 at 6:27 PM
    tcrough

tcrough Active Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '11 Sport DC 4x4 Stock
    None yet
    I have an '11 with the JBL and when I use the AUX port it seems almost overkill at 20 volume. Idk if it has anything to do with the quality of AUX cable you are using, but I have no problems. The sub is lacking though.

6. Apr 1, 2011 at 7:12 AM
    windowlicker

windowlicker [OP] Member

Member:
    You will see the biggest return from the head unit to answer your question. It will put out more RMS wattage than the stock head unit.

I haven't looked into it yet but I am sure the stock head unit doesnt have the proper connections to install a tiny amp to the speakers. Granted you can get an amp that uses the speaker wire as the input but they dont work as well.

I seen another post where people said fixing the volume of the actual MP3 file helps. I noticed yesterday that some songs sounded perfect and others were quiet. So I am going to try changing them all to 100% to make sure they are all even and take it from there.

So back to the original question.

Has anyone uses any of those ipod connection to aux adaptors I linked to in the first post?

7. Apr 1, 2011 at 7:21 AM
    PB65stang

PB65stang Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2016 F150 Lariat 4x4
    5100s (2.5" front), OEM Raptor wheels, 315/70/17 BFGs, Undercover, tint, Weathertechs.
    Yeah, I agree. I don't have the volume problems with my iPod. Now, people have tried to plug their cell phones (streaming Pandora, etc.), and those aren't as loud. But in the mid 30's to low 40's, I'm rattling mirrors and have no desire to go louder.

Is your volume all the way up on your music device? Just checking. I have a Belkin cable that I got from Wal-Mart I believe.

EDIT: No, OP, I've never seen/used those.

8. Apr 1, 2011 at 9:02 AM
    windowlicker

windowlicker [OP] Member

Member:
    Yeah cranked up, no volume control, etc.

On a side note I have the 7 speaker audio package with a subwoofer.....I do not see the 2 ceiling speakers that are suppose to be there. Someone point out where they are?

9. Apr 1, 2011 at 10:50 AM
    Femino

Femino Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    SR5
    I have the non-JBL stock system, and bought the Sound Shocker. It helped a little but not much...

Replacing Factory HU and 6x9's...

10. Apr 1, 2011 at 4:16 PM
    windowlicker

windowlicker [OP] Member

Member:
    How much did it help would you say? Like right now I have to max the stereo out. Do you still max out and it's still not loud enough?

11. Apr 3, 2011 at 5:02 AM
    csmobley

csmobley Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shanon
    Colorado Springs, Co
    Vehicle:
    2018 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road
    Gobi stealth rack 17x8.5 SCS F5, 285/70R17 BFGoodrich All Terrain KO2, Toytec suspension, Shrockwork sliders, Xenon Depot HID conversion, led fog light kit, TRD Pro conversion front end, front and rear valence
    I haven't tried the line out dock to answer your question. I wonder also if that would make a difference. It isnt very much money and almost seems like it might be worth a shot. Also wondering about the volume of the audio file. When I play a cd it sounds just fine. Almost makes me want to break out my cd book and start doing that crap again.

I did have the same thought though about changing the quality of the file to see if that helps. I will do that and get back to you all and let ya know.

Products Discussed in

To Top