1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sound Ordnance B-8PT Review!

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by rcbs204, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Apr 16, 2011 at 2:56 PM
    rcbs204

rcbs204 [OP] Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    Hello Gents,
    So i recently installed a low profile "Sound Ordnance" subwoofer.
    Seeing this thing i was really skeptical about what kind of sound it would put out. I was not really looking for the punch of two 12" subs, just was looking to fill out the missing bottom end in the truck. It more than satisfied, holy cow. Took me all of about two hours to install behind the drivers side back seat, double cab truck. The really cool part is i was looking to NOT see this equipment, i am into the stealthy audio look. Anyway, if any of you guys are looking for just that extra bass, this is the box for you. I just hope it has good reliability, i have to find a way to keep it from bouncing around behind the seat.

Overall, i am really impressed, it changed the rest of the system quite positively. I have all Focal components in the doors.

[​IMG]
    Sub fit rather nicely behind the seat!

[​IMG]
    Installed the bass volume knob on one of the extra, blank plates.

2. Apr 17, 2011 at 3:07 PM
    monkey wrench

monkey wrench Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sean
    somerset, ca
    Vehicle:
    stock 4x4
    new stereo, rear leaf tsb, front 5100s @ .75. weather tecs and wet okoles.
    I just installed one as well. it sounds great. I stuffed it under the seat. it barely fit.

[​IMG]

3. Apr 17, 2011 at 3:22 PM
    rcbs204

Member:
    yeah they are pretty impressive for the little package it comes in. It actually vibrates the rearview mirror!!

4. May 3, 2011 at 7:10 AM
    DocCisco

DocCisco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Utah County, UT
    Vehicle:
    LB TRD Sport 4x4
    Hey Shannon, did you run your power and RCAs on the driver's side panel? How about the ground, did you attach it in the back by the sub or use the stereo grnd?

I'll be installing mine today or tomorrow and am doing some prep.

Here's another B-8PT thread... not much input just others that liked the sub. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/120134-magic-sub.html

5. May 3, 2011 at 8:43 AM
    sxgt

sxgt Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    03 DC SR5 4WD TACO
    Just put one in a 1st gen dbl cab. I am impressed also. I have a new headunit and this sub with factory speakers and I like it a lot. Still dialing it in. Also I haven't secured it behind the seat completely -- there is enough room behind the drivers side back seat with a little to spare. I plan to try some Industrial velcro later today.

6. May 3, 2011 at 9:21 AM
    DocCisco

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Utah County, UT
    Vehicle:
    LB TRD Sport 4x4
    Did you run power to the battery or just use the 12v off the HU? This is the first sub I've installed and am just learning some stuff before I start tearing things apart.

7. May 3, 2011 at 9:41 AM
    sxgt

sxgt Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    03 DC SR5 4WD TACO
    I ran it from the battery. I ordered a sub install kit from Amazon (BOSS package) and it came with a power, ground, rca, remote lead, fuse, etc. I ran from the battery up the drivers side of the enging bay(fused it here), across the firewall by the brake booster and over to the start of the IM. There was an unused plug in the firewall that was perfect - I pulled it off drilled a hole and ran my power cable through it, from inside the cab I then went over to the kick panel, down the doors and up to the amp behind the back seat.

It took me awhile, about 4 hours - but I am slow. I imagine someone that is familiar with their truck, wiring, etc could do it in an hour or two.

8. May 3, 2011 at 10:48 AM
    rcbs204

Member:
    Yes i ran down the drivers side panels along the doors, and the ground was attached to a bolt back by the sub its self. behind the seat in the corner. Power comes directly off the battery.

9. May 3, 2011 at 10:53 AM
    rab89

rab89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Kelowna b.c canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB TRD Sport
    getting new coils first, but these seem to be getting awesome reviews, so it's next on the list!

10. May 3, 2011 at 10:54 AM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    So... You gonna let me hear this someday Shannon?

11. May 3, 2011 at 1:42 PM
    rcbs204

Member:
    Sure man, come on over anytime!!

12. May 3, 2011 at 3:28 PM
    sxgt

sxgt Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    03 DC SR5 4WD TACO
    Here is a quick write up on a first gen. First I looked under the hood/firewall to determine where to run the power wire to the battery. I used a BOSS kit from Amazon for installing an AMP.
    Amp KIT
    [​IMG]
    Powered Sub - it looks dusty since I was wearing latex gloves
    [​IMG]
    Inspecting the battery/engine bay
    [​IMG]
    Noticed this unused firewall plug on my 03 - look in this area for a 1" unused firewall plug. Drilled a hole to poke the power wire through (I removed the plug to drill)
    [​IMG]
    Test fitting power wire
    [​IMG]
    Fuse in place - used double sided tape instead of supplied self tapping screws.
    [​IMG]
    Removed door to carpet trim pieces - they were secured with phillips screws. Be careful removing - I broke one of the tabs that secures the covers to the cab floor. Quick generic part from autostore to fix it (no pictures - you cant tell now anyway).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Under dash views - I secured my power, remote turn on and rca cables to the parking brake sleeve with zip ties. (second pic below) - also shows where the power wire pokes through the firewall.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Kick panel wiring views
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Wiring views under the carpet
    Rear
    [​IMG]
    Front
    [​IMG]
    Amp wiring - this is behind the drivers side rear seat of a 2003 dbl cab. Grounded to the rear seat bolt.
    [​IMG]
    Amp sitting unsecured behind the seat. I finally secured the amp with Industrial velcro strips from Lowes - 2" wide strips - no pic. It fits perfectly in my opinion and I am 97% sure it doesn't touch the seat back at all - very hard to confirm in a first gen - not enough room to get my arm back there to confirm in the center of the seat back. For sure it doesn't touch the edges. Also the seat back has an indention that allows the sub to fit into - almost like it was made for it.
    [​IMG]
    Mounted my remote bass adjustment dial just in front of the shifter.
    [​IMG]
    Due to my headunit (Kenwood KDC-X995) and RCA cables hitting something under the dash - I had to buy rt angle RCA adapters.
    [​IMG]

Very impressed with the sub. Rounds out my aftermarket headunit and stock speakers very well. Install took about 4 hours - but I was in no rush.

13. May 3, 2011 at 5:20 PM
    rcbs204

Member:
    ^^^ Wow dude, looks really nice. I really like mine as well.

14. May 3, 2011 at 5:23 PM
    Tacomanator

Tacomanator Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clam Slammer
    Southern Cali
    King 2.5" extended travel coilovers with compression adjusters, Camburg UCA's, King 2.5" rear shocks, TRD 1st gen CAI.
    Nice install.

Sticky?

15. May 3, 2011 at 8:13 PM
    DocCisco

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Utah County, UT
    Vehicle:
    LB TRD Sport 4x4
    Nice pics SXGT, thank you! I just finished wiring mine tonight and will add similar photos for the 2nd gen.

BTW the local sound warehouse wanted $75 for the install... that's when I knew I'd be getting an education in Sub install 101 :).

16. May 4, 2011 at 4:02 PM
    06TXED

06TXED Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    2023 DCSB MGM TRD OR 4x4
    I like what I see! I was wondering about one of these powered units as well. For those of you that have them how much bass does it put out? Is it sound like a regular 8" or 10" sound. Im not loking for that crazy shake apart my truck loose bass but need to fill in the bottom end with my kicker door speakers and Alpine HU.

17. May 4, 2011 at 4:13 PM
    rcbs204

Member:

Sounds like an 8" to me. It does shake the rear view, more than enough for me. I find myself turning it down to half power most of the time.

18. May 4, 2011 at 7:22 PM
    mikracer

mikracer Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB | TRD Sport 4x4
    sxgt - Notice you ran your RCA's along side your power cable. If you get any noise, with the sub, that can be your culprit. Not saying you will, but most installers will run the RCA's on the opposite side the power is running.

19. May 4, 2011 at 8:27 PM
    CNewell

CNewell Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Camron
    PA
    Vehicle:
    My '09 TRD Sport DCSB
    Hybrid Audio (front and back), Pioneer Shallow Mount 10" Sub, Pioneer 4ch Amp, bridged RE Audio Amp, WeatherTech Digital Fit (front and back), Flyzeye Interior LED, 18" Chrome Moto Metal 951's, 285/60/18 Cooper Zeon LTZ's, Bilstein 5100 shocks (front and back), Eibach coils, Light Racing/SPC UCA's, Black Billet Grille (5pc), Hella 500's, Black Diamond Light Bar, Truxedo LoProQT
    I'm pretty sure I read that's just a myth. I think it was Mr. Marv himself who said it. It's in one of his sticky threads here.

20. May 4, 2011 at 8:46 PM
    monkey wrench

monkey wrench Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sean
    somerset, ca
    Vehicle:
    stock 4x4
    new stereo, rear leaf tsb, front 5100s @ .75. weather tecs and wet okoles.
    I think it's more then enough to fill out the bottom end.

I keep the sub's eq turned down and it puts out a tight bass punch.

I ran it straight off the bat, grounded it under the door channel and ran the rc wires and remote power lead to the head unit through the hole in the carpet under the driver seat. I don't use the wired gain control. my head unit has a sub level control, and I can reach the nobs on the sub while I'm in the driver's seat.

To Top