1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

good factory replacement speakers 2011 dcab (non jbl) with aftermarket HU

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by toddt, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Jun 10, 2011 at 9:44 AM
    toddt

toddt [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    todd
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 D-cab 4x4 TRD OffRoad
    TRD Supercharger, TRD cold air intake, TRD Sport Hood, TRD Exhaust, Pro Comp 6" lift
    I have a 2011 non-JBL tacoma with a kenwood 6960 deck.

I am thinking about swapping door speakers... Does anybody have any suggestions? Im not looking to add an amp.

2. Jun 10, 2011 at 9:47 AM
    BradleyScottETC

BradleyScottETC Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Lake County, FL
    Vehicle:
    10 4.0 AC 4x4
    Check Amazon, too. They sell HU/speaker combos a lot for cheap.

3. Jun 10, 2011 at 9:48 AM
    TacomaGus

TacomaGus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gus
    Morgantown, WV
    Vehicle:
    08 White TRD Sport DC
    Tinted Tails, TRD Shift Knob, Kenwood Headunit, Ebay BHLM Lights, Trimmed Mud Flaps, 265/70/17 General Grabber AT2's, WeatherTech Mats, Black Badges, Sylvania ZXE Bulbs, AFE Stage 2 Si Intake, 17x8.5 Level 8 Guardian Wheels, URD SS, Custom 2.5" Catback with Aero 2525 and Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonator, URD MAF CAL, JBA LT Headers, OME 884's, Nitrochargers, Dakars with 3rd lead removed, Light Racing UCA's
    Alpine R Types, nice smooth sound with good bass...

4. Jun 10, 2011 at 10:00 AM
    toddt

Member:
    First Name:
    todd
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    TRD Supercharger, TRD cold air intake, TRD Sport Hood, TRD Exhaust, Pro Comp 6" lift
    I guess I just don't really know how to shop for the speakers. I dont want to wire in an amp, so that leaves me with a head unit that is 4x50w ... So look for speakers that don't require over 50w?

5. Jun 10, 2011 at 10:44 AM
    dolbytone

dolbytone Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road
    That depends on how loud you want to play your music.

6. Jun 10, 2011 at 8:22 PM
    ratrod

ratrod Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2006 Toyota Tacoma Dbl Cab TRD SR5 4x4
    Bilstein 5100s @ 1.75 with 1.5 AAL, Satoshi Grill Mod with 2 Hella 500s behind the grill, LED dome and map lights, custom made (by me) 10" subwoofer box behind the dbl cab seat, DVD/iPod/Bluetooth/GPS/TV/USB/Stereo, Yakima rack, Shell, tinted front windows to match the factory backs. Backup cam in the tailgate handle mod.
    What he said. Look at the RMS. You can get "high watt speakers" with a low RMS and will suffer in sound. I didn't buy the best or most expensive speakers, (rockford fosgate - who where the "shit" back in the day! But now not so much.) Got them on Amazon for super cheap read a lot of really good reviews about them, researched, and I think they got a nice sound and lower bass response. Now if your a sound snob I would go for higher end and get an amp. The best thing is that they are simple plug and play when you get the speaker adapters and speaker harness. The tacoma door panels take like 2 minutes to remove, thanks YouTube and *********!

7. Jun 10, 2011 at 9:42 PM
    kristonex

kristonex Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maryland soon to be Denver
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 Access 4x4
    Debadged tailgate - Limo tinted windows - Sockmonkey bed decals - Fully custom upgraded stereo 9 speakers w/custom built subwoofer box 1200 watts total power - swapped white and blue LED gauges - integrated backup camera - removed front mud flaps - All interior lights swapped with LEDS
    I just finished my system a couple months ago. I used some JL Audio TR690-TXI's up front and i really like them a lot. I have used JL subs over the years but never had any of their smaller stuff. I'm really impressed with them and I install systems pretty frequently on the side for people so I have heard plenty of different branded 6x9's. They are powered with a kenwood KAC-8405 amp. They have good bass and very clear mid's and highs. Whatever you decide on you get what you pay for. And I wouldn't order anything from crutchfield. prices are ridiculous + the money you save shopping elsewhere will easily buy you whatever crappy install products they give you.

I like sonicelectronix or Amazon.

8. Jun 12, 2011 at 4:47 PM
    dgalleon

dgalleon Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Florida
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport 4x4 Dbl Cab LB
    TRD CAI, Flowmaster 40 series, 6" Fabtech Lift, Dirt Logic rear shocks
    i really want to be able to play my music louder and be clear without any distortion.

9. Jun 12, 2011 at 6:34 PM
    garys05tacoma4x4

garys05tacoma4x4 OneLife

Member:
    Agawam, MA
    Vehicle:
    05TRDSportLB4x4
    Synthetic oil/lubes used throughout. NGK Iridium Lazer 100K spark plugs. Rear differential breather extension modification. Toyota front skid plate, roof rack, bed mat, chrome exhaust exhaust. Runs like new!
    Crutchfield is good at matching speakers with stereo's. You don't have to buy them through them but they will give you good advice most of time. I looked up your model #: 22 watts rms(means continuos power). 50 watts maximum (may go up to 50 watts max). You don't want to buy speakers that can handle a lot more power than what you have. It will sound like shit and worse than stock.
    I can turn my stock radio full power and still sounds great. If you can do the same don't waste your money (just wait until they possibly blow someday).
    You really see a difference when you add an amplifier; it is a whole nother world. If your trying to get some crazy louder sound or really good bass you'll need an amp. I'm considering putting a 10" sub w/custom box with/amp w/my stock 5 disc changer & keeping everything else stock. I have all the highs I need with the stock radio and yours sounds better than mine due to aftermarket and higher wattage. Hope I was helpful. Good luck.

10. Jun 12, 2011 at 6:36 PM
    garys05tacoma4x4

garys05tacoma4x4 OneLife

Member:
    Agawam, MA
    Vehicle:
    05TRDSportLB4x4
    Synthetic oil/lubes used throughout. NGK Iridium Lazer 100K spark plugs. Rear differential breather extension modification. Toyota front skid plate, roof rack, bed mat, chrome exhaust exhaust. Runs like new!
    Crutchfield is good at matching speakers with stereo's. You don't have to buy them through them but they will give you good advice most of time. I looked up your model #: 22 watts rms(means continuos power). 50 watts maximum (may go up to 50 watts max). You don't want to buy speakers that can handle a lot more power than what you have. It will sound like shit and worse than stock.
    I can turn my stock radio full power and still sounds great. If you can do the same don't waste your money (just wait until they possibly blow someday).
    You really see a difference when you add an amplifier; it is a whole nother world. If your trying to get some crazy louder sound or really good bass you'll need an amp. I'm considering putting a 10" sub w/custom box with/amp w/my stock 5 disc changer & keeping everything else stock. I have all the highs I need with the stock radio and yours sounds better than mine due to aftermarket and higher wattage. Hope I was helpful. Good luck.[/QUOTE]

11. Jun 13, 2011 at 11:54 AM
    toddt

Member:
    First Name:
    todd
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    that sounds like it might be good idea. I cant crank it all the way right now. If I do, i have to adjust the bass down or it sounds terrible.

I guess if I left all the factory speakers and added an amp/sub ... I could just turn the bass down/off on the factory speakers and they would sound fine?

12. Apr 13, 2013 at 4:28 PM
    bearsalonen

bearsalonen New Member

Member:
    Marietta
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD
    Any idea on what brackets you used for this? I found the speakers and they are very nice but to mount it needs brackets for sure

13. Apr 14, 2013 at 2:44 AM
    dolbytone

dolbytone Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road
    There is absolutely no direct correlation between sound quality and asymmetry of power handling between speaker and amplifier. The reason you would typically want to make them comparable is price. It's a waste of money to buy power or power handling that you aren't going to be able to use.

My advice regarding this thread. Be honest about how loud you are going to try to play your music. Don't disregard possibly using an amplifier simply because you are not sure how to install one (I get the feeling that this is the case). If you run out and buy a "50W" setup and aren't happy, you're wasting the initial upgrade investment because for one reason or another it will end up getting replaced.

When people say things like "I just want a little more bass." or "I don't need it to be loud, just sound good." this, to me, is code for they are on a budget and/or don't have the patience/confidence to try installing something that would really satisfy their needs.

This quote is an alarm for me. It gives me the impression that you are going to end up cutting corners, be unsatisfied and ultimately spend more than you'd need to if you did it right the first time. Please read and consider THIS before proceeding with your audio upgrade.

14. Apr 14, 2013 at 10:43 AM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    Factory speakers are shit. Factory deck even bigger piece of shit. You NEED new head unit, amp, speakers, and sub. If Anyone thinks that the factory head or speakers are fine on highs they have NEVER heard good audio.

Do it one step at a time.

Head unit.
    speakers and amp.
    Sub and amp.

15. Apr 14, 2013 at 7:16 PM
    samuelprz

samuelprz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    NoR CaL Modesto / Fresno
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD Off-Road,
    New 2006 Taco (red) 8112 Front Bilstein Shocks Maxtrac Spindles Fox2.0 With Resis Rear All Pro Expo Leafpack RRW 18 Wheels w/ Toyo RT 33x12.50r18 LED Headlights Pioneer AVH 4201NEX Hybrid Audio Unity and Mirus ARC Audio 300.4 RIP 2006 Taco (silver)... you will be missed Eibach Coils Bilstein 5100s front Maxtrac Spindles SpiderTrax Wheel Spacers Bilstein 5100s rear*extended All Pro Expo Leafpack 6,000k HID's (Headlights and Fogs)
    I highly recommend that when upgrading door speaker to amplify them.
    You can add in a small amp underneath the drivers seat quite easily.
    I like hybrid audio technologies for speakers, but if you want to spend less then for
    door speakers go with some Alpine type S or Type R's if your going to amplify.

Products Discussed in

To Top