1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

09+ JBL Bluetooth in 2005 JBL Tacoma: Help Needed.

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by fbconvert, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Jul 15, 2011 at 12:02 PM
    fbconvert

fbconvert [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Seacoast, NH
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport
    I have been thinking about this for a while but I just recently scored a 09+ JBL head unit (HU) for my tacoma for only $35, so now I am getting serious about this mod.

It is my understanding that 09+ JBL HU's comes with built in bluetooth (BT). What I would like help with is configuring my 2005 tacoma with JBL audio (Which did not come with BT) to use the BT function of the 09+ JBL HU. I like pictures so I took the time to make a diagram which I hope will make better sense to someone who could potentially help me.

Most of my questions could probably be answered if I had a wiring diagram for 09+ Tacoma's but so far I have only been able to find diagrams for 2005-2008 Tacoma's (which did not come with BT from the factory).

Here is my figure. any constructive input would great!

Thanks in advance,

-FB

[​IMG]

2. Jul 15, 2011 at 12:24 PM
    fbconvert

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Seacoast, NH
    Vehicle:
    Did they use a different amp after 2009? I have a JBL system in my truck (factory) it just didn't come with bluetooth (Pre 2009 Head Unit). I figure the head unit from a 2009 would just plug in to my 2005 JBL Harness. Please correct me if I am wrong. The Head Unit should be in next week so I guess I will find out soon enough.

3. Jul 15, 2011 at 12:33 PM
    fbconvert

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Seacoast, NH
    Vehicle:
    Ok that was my understanding too. I am mostly concerned about the wiring between the steering controls (after the clock spring) and the head unit. I am going crazy trying to find a pinout of the back of a 2009+ JBL head unit with bluetooth.

4. Jul 19, 2011 at 1:41 PM
    fbconvert

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Seacoast, NH
    Vehicle:
    I was able to help myself but I will continue to post information here in case it can help someone out later.

here is the circuit diagram of the steering pad controls. I will also attach a pdf of complete steering circuit and separate amp stereo circuit.

[​IMG]

It appears as though the RH side controls just connect to the LH side and there is no additional wiring needed.

So my plan will go like this:

Install the 2009+ JBL head unit into my 2005 tacoma with JBL sound system installed from the factory.

I will then need to get the right hand side steering pad and a microphone.

Option for RH side steering pad:

1. From http://www.toyotapartszone.com you can purchase the RH bluetooth controls and the cable separately for a total of $103.04 + $8.00 shipping. Part Numbers: 244-35030-B0 (RH controls), 204-58010 (Cable)
    2. Also from http://www.toyotapartszone.com you can buy the complete control assembly for the tacoma for $148+shipping. Part Number: 250-04010-B0
    The down side to option 1: several people have claimed there is a slight variation in LED color when compared to the LH side stereo controls.

Options for Microphone:

1. From http://www.toyotapartszone.com buy the rear view mirror with the build in mic for $523. Part Number: 810-04080
    2. Also from http://www.toyotapartszone.com buy the 4 runner mic assembly that fits in overhead unit $124.38+shipping. Part Number: 730-35020

Actually I am hoping that I can find a wrecked 4runner and/or tacoma with the jbl bluetooth because even if I go with my cheapest options I am still looking at spending over $200. So for now I am stuck until I can find a better deal on the steering pad controls and microphone.

EDIT: Sorry I had to remove attachments due to copy right. If you want wiring diagrams or factory service manuals for any North American toyota you can sign up for a 2 day subscription for $15 here.

5. Aug 4, 2011 at 2:50 PM
    fbconvert

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Seacoast, NH
    Vehicle:
    well here's an update.

I got tired of trying to find parts out of a wrecking yard so I made my own switches. I posted my progress on my build page and actually I think it would have been more fitting here. I thought I had it all figured out but there is quite a bit more difference between the 2005-2008 JBL system and the 2009+ JBL system.

Before I get a ahead of myself here is the cheat sheet I used when making my switches.

[​IMG]

And this is me testing the switches:

[​IMG]

That all went great but when I wired the switches to the head unit and try to use them I get no response from the stereo. Then I found out there are voice input wires that run from the head unit to the amplifier, just like I circled in this picture below.

[​IMG]

The problem I have now is that the amplifier in my 2005 is different than the amplifier out of a 2009+ JBL, in which it does not have the bluetooth inputs like the 2009+ amp. :mad:

So now I am hoping someone on here has upgraded their 2009+ jbl system and just has this amp laying around. I am trying to purchase one.

6. Aug 4, 2011 at 7:39 PM
    travbz24

travbz24 Active Member

Member:
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2011 BLK DC TRD SPT
    I was glad to see your thread!

I just ordered an 2011 TRD Sport DBL cab. (upgrading from an 08 TRD DBL SP) It has the JBL upgrade, but for some reason in the Kansas City region you can't get the Sport DBL with JBL and Bluetooth. Some restriction for the region that makes no sense.

I've been thinking the same think that you have been trying to do. I'll have the JBL stereo that I'm hoping already has the BT built in. I'd like to add the steering wheel controls and the mic and hope it works.

Has anyone had any luck with this? Any details on if the JBL HU has the bluetooth built in. Would it be possible to just add the mic and the controls to enable this feature?

7. Aug 4, 2011 at 9:10 PM
    fbconvert

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Seacoast, NH
    Vehicle:
    If you have a 2011 truck with jbl but no steering controls I am guessing that the Head unit has bluetooth in it still but maybe that is my problem. Everything I have researched says Bluetooth is built into the 2009+ JBL HU but I get no response from the HU when I push any of the buttons.

Here is a question for someone who has a bluetooth JBL system in there truck.

When you hit voice does the display on the UH change, i.e. is there any kind of response from the HU other than just a voice with instructions?

Side note: When I had access to toyota information system the only two wiring diagrams that were available for a 2009+ tacoma was the separate amp and built in amp type. The separate amp type/"JBL" has the bluetooth circuit in the diagram. This makes me believe that yours is probably ready for bluetooth you just need to add the mic and steering controls. But I have been wrong before.

8. Aug 5, 2011 at 5:54 AM
    travbz24

travbz24 Active Member

Member:
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2011 BLK DC TRD SPT
    Thanks for the reply!!

So theoretically, I could buy the steering controls for BT, the ribbon to connect them to the left side steering controls, and a mic. Hook it up and I should be set.

My question is do you know where the mic connects on the HU. Is there an open 'pin' on one of the wiring harness?

9. Aug 5, 2011 at 8:04 AM
    fbconvert

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Seacoast, NH
    Vehicle:
    Do you have the backup camera in your tacoma? The mic is in the rear view mirror along with the video screen for the backup camera. One thing you could do is buy the mic from a 4runner, it is in the overhead light. This would save you a lot of money since the part is like $100 compared to a $500 rear view mirror and the wiring appears to be the same.

[​IMG]

2009 Tacoma Bluetooth Mic Wiring Diagram

[​IMG]

4runner 2007 bluetooth mic wiring diagram

The same goes for the Rav4 as well and probably other models of toyota. I am trying to do it with a mic I bought off ebay ~$3. The third wire (T18 to R26) powers a separate amp that is built into the microphone. the mic I bought won't have this but it is designed for security cams so I am hopeful that the performance will be comparable. I am still hopeful that I will eventually find a wrecked toyota with all of this stuff in it but for now I am doing what I can.

I think you have it much easier than what I am attempting. Right now I think I have everything figured out except that I need the new amp out of a 2009+ JBL system. Once I have that and I wire everything in I would be able to tell you for sure that you could do it. I am guess that since your truck will be a 2011 it will have the newer amp in it so theoretically you should be able to plug in your steering wheel switches and wire your mic and be good to go.

Do you have your truck yet? You probably have all the wiring in your truck they just removed the steering wheel switches to make it legal in your area. I could help you identify the various connectors if you like.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  10. Aug 5, 2011 at 8:17 AM
    travbz24

travbz24 Active Member

Member:
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2011 BLK DC TRD SPT
    The truck is still in "freight". The dealer thinks it will arrive next week.

I don't really understand why you can't get a Tacoma with the bluetooth controls here. My wife's toyota bought at the same dealer has them. The factory bluetooth is so much better than an add on. I had a Pioneer x920bt in my 08 and it sucked. Too much background noise!!

It does have the backup camera. I'll definitely let you know what the wiring looks like once I get the truck.

I used to work as a service writer at this Toyota dealer for 7 years and really miss having the insight I did when I worked there!

Good luck with your continued hunt!! Hopefully you find the parts soon!

11. Aug 5, 2011 at 8:39 AM
    travbz24

travbz24 Active Member

Member:
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2011 BLK DC TRD SPT
  12. Aug 5, 2011 at 8:46 AM
    fbconvert

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Seacoast, NH
    Vehicle:
    Yeah that is exactly what I am thinking. You might have it easier than you think.

Remember you can not buy the left and right hand steering controls separately unless you order the 4runner ones... not really sure why this is but it saves you about $40. The only thing I heard though is that the LED's are a little dimmer then the left hand side when you buy them separate.

13. Aug 5, 2011 at 9:43 AM
    05Taco4x4

05Taco4x4 ToyotaHubs

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2TR-FE Enthusiast
    FJ Tcase, Manual Hubs, 2017 Head unit, Mirror Riser
  14. Aug 5, 2011 at 10:34 AM
    fbconvert

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Seacoast, NH
    Vehicle:
    I did some looking into parts available for the 09+ tacomas. It looks like they did come with different amps.

Part Number
    86208-4010

Manufacture notes
    Audio-Premium sound 6cd dash changer 7 speaker

&

Part Number
    86208-4020

Manufacture notes
    Audio- JBL 6cd-changer 7speaker SDARS Bluetooth

There are other different part numbers for the rear view mirror as well. So here is what I suggest. When you get your truck... remove the subwoffer cover behind the passenger rear seat. Look at the model number of the amplifier and then go from there. You might be int he same boat as me after all...:eek:

15. Aug 8, 2011 at 10:02 PM
    fbconvert

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Seacoast, NH
    Vehicle:
    ***Solved***
    Kinda...

I got the head unit to respond to my homemade switches. I don't know how I missed it but I never hooked up the speed sensor wire. I guess the bluetooth feature is disabled when the amplifier can not sense that the truck is stationary.

All that is left is making the microphone work. I am pretty sure I have it wired right but I pulled the wire tight because it wasn't long enough. Worst case I will have to buy the toyota microphone but now that I know it works I would be willing to put some more money down on this project.

Its pretty late now but I might start a new thread that is a little more cleaner for anyone else interested in upgrading there older JBL unit.

16. Aug 13, 2011 at 9:32 AM
    othater

othater Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal-Walnut
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner SR5 TRD Sport
  17. Aug 14, 2011 at 10:58 AM
    fbconvert

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Seacoast, NH
    Vehicle:
    Thanks,

I was trying to basically reach out to anyone who might have tried what I am doing before. I found a few other post on a 4runner forum that were pretty helpful though.

Just as an update I got a mic to work but I basically have to yell into it before it will recognize any of my verbal commands. I currently researching how to build a amplified microphone circuit.

I did however finish making my steering wheel switches. Here are a few photos...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Aug 14, 2011 at 9:16 PM
    fbconvert

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Seacoast, NH
    Vehicle:
    Well, I figured out how to amplify the microphone signal. I got it sounding ok but I still have to talk pretty loud. I am going to continue to tweak the amplifier until I am happy with it.

The good news is I think I finally got the majority of this thing whopped, just need to do some optimizing. Besides having to buy the newer 2009+ JBL head unit everything could be bought at your local radio shack for around $20.

I think once I get everything set the way I like it, I will do a complete write up that is much cleaner and hopefully easy to follow for anyone else who has a pre 2009 jbl system and would like to upgrade.

19. Aug 15, 2011 at 8:18 PM
    othater

othater Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal-Walnut
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner SR5 TRD Sport
    Glad you got this figured out. Waiting on your complete write up.
    I didn't know the bluetooth was built in the head unit.

I have a 09JBL replaced in my 06 but for another reason,
    I wanted XM thru the radio and ability to play burnt cd's.

20. Aug 17, 2011 at 3:17 PM
    fbconvert

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Seacoast, NH
    Vehicle:
    Well you'll be happy to know everything is working 100% now. I just need to find a good place to mount the mic. It will be in the overhead console some where. I ran out of daylight last night after I ran the wires but I should have it looking good by today.

If you have a 09 JBL head unit I would definitely do this. How confident are you with your soldering skills. If you got the money you can purchase the steering wheel controls and microphone from the dealer.

If anything I would suggest making your own mic because it doesn't have to be a pretty job and the parts at radio shack will cost you less than $10 compared to the $121 the dealer will charge you. The amplified microphone I made sounds great and works flawlessly now. And the circuit is rather simple now that I know how to make it.

The circuit for the steering wheel switches is even simpler but making them look nice is another thing. Honestly the ones I made are really just temporary until I see an OEM set come up on ebay or something.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.

Products Discussed in

To Top