1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need Advice on Head Unit/Speakers for 03 Xcab

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by ohdrj1all, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Aug 25, 2011 at 7:01 AM
    ohdrj1all

ohdrj1all [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2003 XtraCab 4x4 SR5 2.7L 5spd
    My b-day is coming up shortly and my wife says she wants to get me a new head unit & speakers for my 03 Xcab. It still has the factory stuff and it sounds like crapola. I haven't bought or even shopped for new car audio in probably 20 years (turning 44 soon!!!:eek::() and don't even know what/where to start.

Basically though I am looking to just get a decent set up... nothing extravagant. Just a solid AM/FM/CD w/ aux input for the iPod and some quality speakers to fit into the stock locations in the Xcab and in the doors. I don't want to do any custom cutting or put in any subs or anything.

I tried searching this forum for answers, but I don't even hardly know what I am looking for... so anyone out there have a good solid recommendation? Just need some direction as I start the shopping process!

Thanks!!!!!!

2. Sep 2, 2011 at 7:09 AM
    ohdrj1all

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    Well, went down to my local car audio shop and had a looksee... think I found what I want to do. 50x4 deck with full iPod integration (either Kenwood or Alpine... both are same price anyone have any recommendations) and 4 Boston Acoustic 5x7s in factory locations (keeping the factory tweets if they sound decent with the new stuff... if not, just disconnecting them).

Anyway, getting it installed either today or tomorrow... will post pics upon completion.

3. Sep 2, 2011 at 8:45 AM
    06SR5canada

06SR5canada Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    06 dblcab SR5
    2ndary air filter removed, flowmaster 40
    personally id go with the alpine, and i kept my tweeters, just replaced the mid with a craptastic JL and it was quite the improvement.

4. Sep 2, 2011 at 9:16 AM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    You just can't go a post without smashin on JL can you? Lmfao. Just playin man.

I would go Alpine over Kenwood as well. Have you considered a full bluetooth system? I run my phone for my music, and its nice because it can stay in my pocket the whole time and control it from the deck. If you have Bluetooth 1.3 it will display album info also

5. Sep 2, 2011 at 10:39 AM
    ohdrj1all

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    Bluetooth...good point. I will look into that....

6. Sep 2, 2011 at 12:00 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    Be careful when you're lookin for bluetooth as well. 90% of stereos advertise bluetooth, but its only for handsfree calling. You need to make sure they can do A2DP profiles, thats for playing your music.

7. Sep 3, 2011 at 8:13 AM
    ohdrj1all

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    Ok, thanks. Hands-free calling is mainly what I'd want/need form bluetooth (especially with a 5spd)... but I will ask. As always $$$ will be a significant part of any purchase choice! :) If a unit is bluetooth for calling only and is significantly cheaper than one that is bluetooth for calling and music... I may just pick the calling one only as I don't keep lots of music on my phone. :)

But thanks for the info... I will check it out.

8. Sep 4, 2011 at 8:38 AM
    ohdrj1all

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    Bought a Kenwood deck built in bluetooth and it wouldn't stay paired to my Palm Pre Plus (would disconnect everytime I tried to do anything else with the phone (text, web... just opening any other app!) :( Plus the call quality (sound) sucked big time. Took it back to the car audio shop I bought it at and spent most of the effing day down there yesterday and they couldn't get it to work right either. Going back today to have them swap it out for a non-bluetooth (and $130 cheaper) unit instead. What a goat fnck! :mad: Not how I wanted to spend my bloody Saturday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess I'll just buy a bluetooth ear-piece and call it done! At least that way it'll work in any vehicle I am in.

9. Sep 4, 2011 at 9:58 AM
    06SR5canada

06SR5canada Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    06 dblcab SR5
    2ndary air filter removed, flowmaster 40
    ya f*** bluetooth.....and kenwood for that matter lol more over priced junk

10. Sep 5, 2011 at 7:39 AM
    ohdrj1all

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, went back to the Alpine unit I had originally planned on buying... that Kenwood sucked @$$!!! The face was such shiny plastic that it caught every reflection such that I couldn't even read the display unless it was dark out. The Alpline is a much nicer display and waaaaaaaaaaaaaay more user friendly (the Kenwood had the most gosh-awful multi-step method of even changing to a preset station). Had I played with it more at the store I wouldn't have bought it anyway. The bluetooth allure sucked me in.

Anyway, glad I got the Alpine in the end!

Products Discussed in

To Top