1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

MB Quart vs JL Audio

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Johns Taco, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Sep 16, 2011 at 10:10 PM
    Johns Taco

Johns Taco [OP] I'm not 4x4, and have an open diff. So i'm 4x1

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    05 DSM Base SR5 Slug Taco
    Full custom stereo, onboard air compressor, train horns, spacer lift, 30" tires, optima yellow top, rear slider window & tailgate anti-theft mod, pop & lock, class 3 tow hitch, lights in bed, Ultra Gauge, Weather Tech mats, yellow fog lights, camper top, air lift rear airbags, rear diff breather mod, soon to be more...
    I am not happy with what I have now, I have heard that MB Quart highs are the the best while JL Audio components are better then MB Quarts. I am talking about the the most high end stuff. What do you think is better as far as components. Does anyone mix and match?

2. Sep 17, 2011 at 12:54 AM
    pinktaco808

pinktaco808 Hot Steppa

Member:
    you gotta listen to different brands for yourself man. not everyone has the same type of listening

3. Sep 17, 2011 at 1:08 AM
    n a coma

n a coma Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trent
    Southeastern VA
    Vehicle:
    01 ex cab 06 dcsb
    MB quart highs JL subs!

4. Sep 17, 2011 at 5:29 AM
    lbridges

lbridges Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Indialantic, FL
    Vehicle:
    '11 PreRunner SR5
    When you mix and match you should really ditch the passive crossovers that came with the speakers and go to an "active" crossover arrangement. This is because many, if not all, high end passive crossovers utilize zobel elements that are specific to the speakers.

And if you're going to go to an active crossover, you open the doors to all sorts of high-end speakers not generally sold as car speakers. Even in the moderate price range, such as the 7" Seas CA18-RNX mid-bass there are some really great speakers. Take an Internet "walk" through madisound speakers for some really good stuff.

5. Sep 17, 2011 at 11:14 AM
    06SR5canada

06SR5canada Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    06 dblcab SR5
    2ndary air filter removed, flowmaster 40
    there is no "best" speaker, but a few come to mind.....

http://www.woofersetc.com/p-4312-kit-no7-focal-utopia-be-65-3-way-component-system.aspx

http://www.woofersetc.com/p-7178-cs-36030-reference-rainbow-reference-69-3-way-system.aspx

http://www.woofersetc.com/p-4749-supremo-6-2w-morel-65-2-way-component-system.aspx

does anyone realize theres more to car audio than JL? the only thing JL has going for them is the w6/w7 subs, but most people are smarter than to pay that much for them when theres much better deals.

6. Sep 17, 2011 at 4:41 PM
    mattg43

mattg43 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR5 DC
    SwingCase, driver side. PVC Bike rack. Aftermarket stereo.
    You want the "best", and willing to go active?

Or you want the "best" car branded, pre-packaged component set? They are different.

If I had to pick car branded packaged stuff, I would probably find Alpine F#1 status stuff (uses Vifa and Scan Speak, IIRC - both you can find yourself at the Madisound link lbridges posted above), or some of the Pioneer Stage 4 stuff, based on the quality of the old TS-C720PRS speakers.

I would also suggest that going active with a good tuning (to include time alignment and good EQ) with "cheaper speakers" will ALWAYS net better results than spending a ton on components.

Note that "best" is subjective, either with pre-packaged stuff or going active with raw drivers.

7. Sep 17, 2011 at 6:13 PM
    WTtoolman

WTtoolman Facial bones colapse as I crack your skull in half

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Omaha, NE
    Vehicle:
    2006 Access Cab 4x4 TRD SWB
    5100s at 0, eibachs, 2" toytec AAL,, Moto Metal 951b, BFG A/T
    I can't speak for JL, but I really love my MB Quart components!

8. Sep 17, 2011 at 6:29 PM
    Sprink669

Sprink669 Well-Known Member

Member:

I had a friend in high school that had a pair of Vifa speakers that this local speaker dealer custom built speaker boxes. He built my friend these tower speakers all from Vifa drivers and he had all NAD pre-amp and 2 channel amp running these and i have to say those speakers were the best sounding floor speakers that I have ever heard to this date and I graduated in 1991:)
    I have never seen a post of anyone saying anything about Vifa speakers.....

9. Sep 18, 2011 at 8:50 AM
    lbridges

lbridges Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Indialantic, FL
    Vehicle:
    '11 PreRunner SR5
    I have a pair of the 1" Vifa tweeters (ring radiator type) and an old set of CDT Audio components (used Vifa silk dome tweeter and poly cone midbass) sitting in the spare bedroom's closet.

The Alpine Type-X Pro uses a 3/4" Vifa ring radiator tweeter (or did).

I realize this adds nothing to the OP's posting, but just thought I'd offer another (mostly rambling, no value added) Vifa post. ;)

10. Sep 21, 2011 at 4:25 PM
    shaneckc

shaneckc Fyntünd Designs Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR Package DCLB 4x4
    mb quart went down the drain a while ago. JL components are decent but there are far better options out there. i am continually impressed with Hertz speakers. they are made by elettromedia who also manufactures audison. Hertz has some excellent price points and their speakers are of superior quality to most avaliable now, in my opinion.

Products Discussed in

To Top