1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Does this sound like a good setup?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Alderleet, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Nov 4, 2011 at 9:38 AM
    Alderleet

Alderleet [OP] Ace of Spades

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Salty Hell
    Vehicle:
    '00 Acc Cab TRD 4x4
    Well, im looking to upgrade the existing sound system in my 2000 tacoma, especially since the right passenger door speaker is toast.

I'm a mechanical engineer at heart, so engine/drivetrain/general mechanical stuff is my niche'

However, i'm electronically inept. So I went to a well known local car audio shop here in utah. (The HiFi shop, in ogden, utah)

I sat down and talked with a sales rep, he showed me a variety of options, and gave me what he feels would be the best setup for my xtra cab tacoma. (he doesnt recommend sunken subs in the cubbies below the rear jump seats, since the sound from the last one they did was not as good as he wanted) (the customer was happy though)

So this is the setup he laid out and the costs:

Alpine CDE-123 Head unit - $185
    Deck install - $35
    Vehicle specific dash - $16.95
    Tacoma wiring harness - $11.99
    Rockford P1653 09' style Speakers - $190
    Front and rear install - $70
    Rockford t400-4 Multichannel Amp - $325
    4ch Amp install - $80
    4 Guage amplifier Sound Quest Kit - $55
    RCA Cable - $10
    Apline Type-R 8" prebuilt Sub - $250
    Shop supplies 10% labor - $6

Including tax, it'll run me $1319.53

Does this sound like a decent deal, or am I getting wool pulled over my eyes?

2. Nov 4, 2011 at 9:45 AM
    bendbolden

bendbolden Come and take them.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Moscow, TN
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ Cruiser
    None but soon......
    You won't need a 4 channel amp for two speakers. i am thinking you maybe meant to put 4 speakers on there though. Either way it sounds like you could put this stuff in yourself and save the install money being an engineer and all. There are lots of great writeups on here showing how to do this. Also you can almost always find audio stuff cheaper on the internet than in the store. I would buy it all online and get them to install if you aren't comfortable with it. I have an 8" sub in a sealed box that sounds great. Just make sure it is the correct internal volume. I would also go with some good component speakers in the front and forget about the rear or use co-axials if you want rear fill.

Edit. Nevermind. I see you are running the sub on the four channel amp.

3. Nov 4, 2011 at 9:48 AM
    bendbolden

bendbolden Come and take them.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Moscow, TN
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ Cruiser
    None but soon......
    The HU and speakers are pretty close to online price but the amp can be bought for $75 less on Sonic Electronix. Just a quick search and may be found cheaper.

4. Nov 4, 2011 at 12:02 PM
    mattg43

mattg43 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR5 DC
    SwingCase, driver side. PVC Bike rack. Aftermarket stereo.
    Part of buying authorized and getting a shop install is a full warranty. A lot of companies wont honor warranties if bought online from places like Sonic, and the warranty is sometimes longer going through a shop.

The 4 channel amp is to run front speakers and bridge the rear to the sub. Good plan.

Labor looks like about $200, which is not bad at all.

I would consider some components instead of the Rockford P1653 that they are trying to sell you. There are better options, and I think list price is less than $190

Otherwise, if you are not comfortable doing it yourself, seems fairly reasonable for a shop.

5. Nov 4, 2011 at 8:53 PM
    I Liquid I

I Liquid I Well-Known Member

Member:
    Puerto Rico
    Vehicle:
    06 BSP DCLB, 17 Inferno TRD Offroad DCSB, 06 SW ACLB
    Too many mods to list
    Since you are going with the Type R sub, which is what I have, why don't you also go with the Type R speakers?

I have the Type S speakers atm and I love them. They have performed well beyond my expectations, so I am sure the Type R speakers will blow mine out of the water and be full of win.

Also, the sub you are installing requires quite a bit of power (350 RMS / 1000 Peak) and that sub will not power it well IMO.

In the end it is all personal preference though, be sure to listen to your speakers before pulling the plug. He should have them in his shop so you can listen to them.

Products Discussed in

To Top