1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Power antenna on 2011 taco

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by sun, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Nov 9, 2011 at 7:44 PM
    sun

sun [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Memphis
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner
    Pioneer avic-z130bt with axxess aswc and rear cam mod, audiovox 10 flip down monitor, Pyle pl76d headrest monitors, kicker cvr tens wired down to one ohm with hifonics Brutus 1200.1, Clazzio seat covers, 20% tint on front windows, polished factory exhaust, peragon retractable bed cover, pop n lock tailgate handle with dei actuators for automatic lock, viper 5901 alarm remote start with viper smart start, hid bixenon 4500k headlights with 4500k fog lights, led map license plate lights and dome lights
    Well i finally did the power antenna install on the taco since i got really tired of the factory antenna not performing too well and it is rather tall. but let me say i truly do not think it was really worth the time to do the install when it came to performance i got a tad bit better reception vs factory.
    Unfortunately i did not take a bunch of photos do really call this a diy post but here goes the info for the most part
    you have to remove mud flaps
    remove all bolts holding fender flare on dont 4get the one on the bottom near the cab
    then pop the fender flare just in the bottom corner near the mud flaps the entire flare does not have to b removed
    now here comes the fun part, if you are not to patience you might not want to continue or stop by toyota and buy a bunch of the clips
    these clips are tough to get out i had panel poppers which can be bought at harbor frieght or a tool truck. it helped but still kinda hard it took time to remove the first one but if you pry the clip down a little there are 2 tabs that can b pushed in to help remove the clip do one side at a time and work it back and forth til it is removed and remember where the screws the mud flaps came out of yeah those r clips to and gotta b removed once
    you dont have to remove any clips or screws after the halfway point to the bumper
    once you get most of the clips out you can pull the fender liner and fold it so you can get access to the antenna.
    you can now see the antenna is held at the bottom by one 10mm bolt
    and at the top of the fender remove the antenna with an 8mm wrench
    i actually have antenna removal tools to get the sloted cap off at the base. but i didnt always have this and if you want to remove it here is how you can do it without the proper tool and do this at ur own risk. first get a bunch of masking tape and tape off around the antenna base where it meets the fender do several layers! make it thick. now get a good flathead screw driver and a hammer and put the flathead in one of the slots and with a slight angle of the driver get the hammer and tap it to get the slotted nut to unscrew this does take time so you do mess up your fender remember at your own risk!
    once you get it off the antenna should drop down
    im not really going to get into all the wiring mainly because i have a z130 and it doesnt have a antenna wire so i ran all my wires to a touch switch that i mounted in one of my unused panels

2011-11-08 20.29.04.jpg
    2011-11-08 20.48.28.jpg
    2011-11-09 21.39.04.jpg
    2011-11-09 21.39.44.jpg

2. Nov 10, 2011 at 8:36 PM
    sun

sun [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Memphis
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner
    Pioneer avic-z130bt with axxess aswc and rear cam mod, audiovox 10 flip down monitor, Pyle pl76d headrest monitors, kicker cvr tens wired down to one ohm with hifonics Brutus 1200.1, Clazzio seat covers, 20% tint on front windows, polished factory exhaust, peragon retractable bed cover, pop n lock tailgate handle with dei actuators for automatic lock, viper 5901 alarm remote start with viper smart start, hid bixenon 4500k headlights with 4500k fog lights, led map license plate lights and dome lights
    its the metra i 4got the model number exactly but it is the one that best buy carries normally in the install bay for 59.99 i get most of my stuff from there and thanx

3. Jan 4, 2012 at 7:40 PM
    csjumper2003

csjumper2003 Jumper's Leds Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2014 SSM Trd Off Road 4x4 Auto
    subd. Ive been looking for how someone has done this. I get tired of my antenna almost getting broke off everytime i go through a car wash

4. Jan 5, 2012 at 1:50 AM
    Rellik01

Rellik01 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Windermere, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport 4x4 White
    Bull Guard powder coated white, chrome aftermarket tail lights,Led interior lights, Factory roof rack, Bug deflector, Factory tow package, Garmin GPS, Viper 5901 alarm with auto start, Weather tech window wind deflectors, , 3" Tube steps powder coated white, CB Radio, Radio Scanner.
    Had the Metra purchased and installed at Best Buy about $100.00 total.
    Lovin it. The stock radio actually has the antenna trigger built into it. The installer just used a meter to find the pin.

5. Jan 5, 2012 at 10:15 AM
    csjumper2003

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    What model antenna # from metra

6. Jan 5, 2012 at 10:18 AM
    Rellik01

Rellik01 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Windermere, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport 4x4 White
    Bull Guard powder coated white, chrome aftermarket tail lights,Led interior lights, Factory roof rack, Bug deflector, Factory tow package, Garmin GPS, Viper 5901 alarm with auto start, Weather tech window wind deflectors, , 3" Tube steps powder coated white, CB Radio, Radio Scanner.
    I think it was the universal fit model.

7. Jan 5, 2012 at 10:22 AM
    csjumper2003

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    U got pics up close?

8. Oct 25, 2013 at 12:04 PM
    keninsb

keninsb "Senior", Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Goleta, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco DC 4WD V6 LTD
    This is a great mod and I have been wanting to do this on my Taco. I sure wish that there was a part number available. I called Metra and they say they have nothing listed. the Metra site isn't much help either, I could only find one model that had install instructions that showed what adapters are included with the antenna. I think that it is about a 35 to 40 degree angle. Does anyone know of a good part number for the antenna?
    Thanks,
    Ken

Products Discussed in

To Top