1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

for the audio gurus out there!!!!

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by it's in coma, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Jan 3, 2009 at 8:42 PM
    it's in coma

it's in coma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    in the desert
    Vehicle:
    06 trd off road
    intake and exhaust
    i bought and installed the 500k microfarad capacitor with the digital readout, but it goes on and off. does any body know why or is this normal.

power from the battery is connected to the positive terminal of the capacitor and then it goes to the positive terminal of the amp. then the negative terminal of the capacitor is just grounded to the body of the truck. is thid right?

thanks.

2. Jan 3, 2009 at 8:57 PM
    vette-kid

vette-kid Member

Member:
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    99 4X4 SR5
    3.5" Fabtech suspension lift
    What size amps are you running that you think you need a cap? I would personally upgrade the big three and my alt. before putting money in a cap. Its kind of like a band aid for a wound that will never heal.

3. Jan 3, 2009 at 9:02 PM
    piratesvarsity22

piratesvarsity22 SickTacoFoSho

Member:
    florida
    Vehicle:
    1995 Tacoma
    smoked taillights, thrush glasspack muffler, hollowed out cat. K&n intake,2 12' infinity subwoofers. sony xplod cd player
    capacitors are dumb. if u need more power for ur system like he said higher output alternator. caps always fuck up

4. Jan 3, 2009 at 9:12 PM
    it's in coma

Member:
    in the desert
    Vehicle:
    06 trd off road
    intake and exhaust
    good to know, it just came with the amp wiring kit so... I do not really need it but i just wanted to install it and was wondering why it kept turning on and off.

5. Jan 3, 2009 at 9:34 PM
    vette-kid

vette-kid Member

Member:
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    99 4X4 SR5
    3.5" Fabtech suspension lift

Before you even spend the money on a HO alt, I would look into the big 3 (I think there is a write up on CT). If you arent familiar with that, it is upgrading the wiring for:

1 Battery Neg to Chassis
    2 Alt to Battery pos
    2 Chassis to engine.

From my reading, this seems to fix people problems (dimming lights) most of the time. If this doesnt fix it, then look into a HO alt...if that doesnt fix it...then think about a cap, or a dual battery setup.

OP, I rally have no idea whats causing your problem...look through the manual for your cap if you really want to keep it...some like the "bling factor", not my cup of tea though) and make sre you didnt miss something. And triple check your connection points. I had a similiar prob wth an amp do to a poor crimp on the remote wire.:rolleyes:

6. Jan 4, 2009 at 8:18 AM
    craigFLA

craigFLA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport Pkg.#1, XSP Package
    Leather, 20" rims, Borla cat-back exhaust, running boards, back up camera/3" screen in rear view mirror, carbon fiber interior trim. Tow Package. MODS: URD intake BHLM. Tinted tails & 3rd brake light Fog Light mod. 5pc Grill Craft (High Gloss Black powder-coat) T-Rex eye-lids AVS Wind Deflectors 3M Window Tint 15 front/30 rear OBX Sports Pedals Viper 5901 / remote start Pioneer AVIC F90BT-NAV Hybrid L8's in doors, L4's and Dynaudio MD102 tweets in custom kicks, morel rear-fill, JL TW5-13" sub, JBL MS-8, 2@Tru B475, Tru 4.65, PPI a600.2, PPI 456 X-over, Raamat BX2 and ensolite. relocated rear seats 3/4" Retrax cover electric dual "dead-bolt-lock" electric tailgate lock. electric Dynalock for Retrax Cover/custom fabricated case. kinetik second battery/power-gate isolation. Powerslot Cryogenic rotors, Hawks HPS Pads, SS lines,painted calipers&drums FULL trans flush mod OE Denso plugs
    the use or benefit of caps is probably the oldest debate still going in car audio...lol..

I agree with others that the Big-3 should be your first step. I also installed a Kinetik battery. I eventually removed the additional 0 gauge and fuse-block from the alt to the battery, as I havent installed my system yet, but think it wont be necessary.

However... AFTER making these upgrades, it is my opinion that a quality cap (like an Alumapro) can help stabilize power input to the amps. The downfall though, is the additional wiring associated with a cap, the potential for complications.

There are many knowledgable people in car audio who follow the KISS (keep it simple stupid for the 1 person who hasnt heard it..lol) rule... I only wish I could be one of them...lol..

Have you tried running the system without the cap? If you remove it and dont notice a difference, then I would suggest leaving it out...again..keep things simple.

Good luck, let us know how it works out.

7. Jan 4, 2009 at 8:36 AM
    Mr Marv

Mr Marv 1-831-383-0308 7am-10pm pst Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Marv
    Monterey Bay California
    Vehicle:
    Custom Built Enclosures/speaker adapters etc
    Did you charge the cap before installing it?

8. Jan 4, 2009 at 9:38 AM
    it's in coma

Member:
    in the desert
    Vehicle:
    06 trd off road
    intake and exhaust
    when i installed it it was not charged, but then, like any guy, i read the instructions so i disconnected everything and charged until the digits went up to 11.8.

and yes, the system works without the cap with no noticeable difference, but still i would like to know what i am doing wrong...

9. Jan 4, 2009 at 9:40 AM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    what are your feelings on caps?

10. Jan 4, 2009 at 10:55 AM
    Mr Marv

Mr Marv 1-831-383-0308 7am-10pm pst Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Marv
    Monterey Bay California
    Vehicle:
    Custom Built Enclosures/speaker adapters etc
    It sounds like you installed it properly so sans a bad connection my guess would be it is defective. :confused:

Buy "better" speakers with the money you will save by not buying a cap. ;)

Products Discussed in

To Top