1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Are Image Dynamics CTX65cs good speakers? Is this a good deal?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by iamjyoung, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Jan 13, 2009 at 7:09 PM
    iamjyoung

iamjyoung [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Braunfels
    Vehicle:
    Toy
  2. Jan 13, 2009 at 7:12 PM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    ********* is pretty popular - plus the blonde chick with the silver Taco is nice... :D

3. Jan 14, 2009 at 5:24 AM
    wrmathis

wrmathis Dark Lord of the Sith

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Bonaire, GA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    parts and stuff
    image dynamics makes some pretty darn good products

4. Jan 14, 2009 at 9:28 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    from what ive heard there are several people on here with image dynamics. I plan on getting the components from there too

5. Jan 14, 2009 at 10:39 AM
    atsaubrey

atsaubrey Dealer/Sales Rep for Sundown Audio.

Member:
    california
    Vehicle:
    blue 2007 double cab
    Sundown Audio 100.4 and 1500D, Pioneer 880PRS, Zapco Refernece 6.5" comps, 2 10" Image Dynamics IDQ, 200ft of Second Skin deadener, Kicker wire
    Decent deal and a very nice set of drivers too!

6. Jan 15, 2009 at 7:04 AM
    iamjyoung

Member:
    New Braunfels
    Vehicle:
    Toy
    u going to do the group buy? I dont' like the idea of not ordering stuff from a website. I wonder if my credit card will still protect me against anything that coudl come up. I know if I order online from website, my credit card orders are protected 100%. a while back I had a card number that was "stolen". Maybe I am worry to much. :)

last night spoke to a guy in florida that purchase a big kit from ********* subwoofers boxes speakers wiring almost all and he was going on & on about how image dynamics xs65 is the best. He was braggin and saying I should get the xs65 not the ctx. He said they sounded better than his last Focal system.

Is XS worth more money?

How does image dynamics IDQ10 vs JL subs? Does anyone know what JL sub will work in small boxes? How much did you guys pay for your sub box? What subs did you get.

Can I call any of you guys? Dont' want to talk to sellers, just owners.

7. Jan 15, 2009 at 8:27 AM
    sooner07

sooner07 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    The price difference matters to your ears, not what any of us say, unless you are buying them for us to listen to... then if that is the case, I'll take the HLCDs. haha.

I prefer the ID subs over the JL, but both are very good. I purchased my box (there are pics in my profile) from Marv. I highly recommend him, as I have not seen as good a quality box built by anyone else. I am not saying that everything else is crap, but he has built me the nicest box I have ever installed in my vehicle. It is spot on accurate as far as cuts, and you can see the skill in how well the panels but up to each other. I would venture to bet that it is air tight without and glue or sealants. He is not going to be the cheapest, but for the time that he spends working with people and the quality product, you really do get what you pay for, IMO.

I am available by phone most of the time, but email is usally easier for me during the day.

8. Jan 15, 2009 at 9:59 AM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    Heck, he came in $300 under what I was quoted locally. I won't say the price from Marv simply because each of his pieces is made special for the customer and may garner a higher or lower price depending on your requirements.

Anytime I hear the words "the best", I stop listening to those people. The best I can hear and the best you can hear are different, and being open minded is the most important thing you can do.
    I had a long conversation with some of the more knowledgable folks around here, and determined that there's really a "point of diminishing return" that you have to figure out for yourself.
    Listen to some $100 speakers of brand A, then some $200 speakers of brand A. Notice a difference? Can you justify the jump? Now listen to the $200 and some $300, and keep going till you can't tell which one you like better or the price gets scary. Once you find that point, scale back down in bigger leaps to re-compare between your current median.
    Note that the bigger price doesn't always constitute the better product, so you might have to do this comparison with other manufacturers until you find something you like. Once you do, you can always come back here and say, "I like the sound of X, is there something else I should now consider?"

I say that last part because there can be a vast difference between companies. I had the chance to listen to a set of MB Quart against a set of Diamond in the same setup. Both had equal prices, but provided a different sound - neither necessarily bad, just different, and made me think about what I really wanted to hear.

For subs, I prefer quality reproduction over outright power. In the past I went with Rockford (bleh) and Memphis M-Class. I was happy with Memphis, but a JL 10w3v2 was easier to find, which I found to be the most pleasing when I went out to listen - sound was very controlled.

9. Jan 15, 2009 at 10:11 AM
    sooner07

sooner07 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    Heh, should have mentioned that he might not be the most expensive either... but I was mostly referring to his price point as compared to other online prices such as ********* and supercrewsound. ;)

But you are absolutely correct in reference to the point of diminishing returns. If you like the sound of $25 speakers from Best Circuit Fry Electronics Jumbo Wall of Sound-Mart Extreme Super Store, then by all means buy those suckers. But if you ears, or the voices in your head, are more discriminating (or you like the taste of placebos) then you may be better suited buying more expensive speakers and amps and cables and what not. Some people can hear the differences and it is worth it to them to spend the money. Some builds of speakers sound different than others. The type of tweeters they use or the material of the cone can have an effect (metal vs silk tweeters is the most pronounced to my ears). Close your eyes and have someone switch the speakers and just listen for what you like. You might surprise yourself with what you find.

10. Jan 15, 2009 at 3:28 PM
    iamjyoung

Member:
    New Braunfels
    Vehicle:
    Toy
    I was going to go all jl because a family member had it in his ford and it sounded really good. then thought i never heard any other good setups. so i wanted to do some homework on picking a system. I have been looking up image and they have a really good reputation. Plus the price is really good, if I can save some $$for more upgrades I am going to get the most I can for $$.
    I want it to be loud but clear with good bass. I don't want it to sound like a lot of cheap systems i see around here. I hear cars go by and I only hear tweeters and crappy sounding bass, like torn paper . . .
    I will be getting alpine PDXs for sure, Image Dynamics Speakers or JL - probably Image cause of group buy pricing. and still trying to figure out the subwoofers. I like the idea of getting the subwoofer and sub box from ********* so I don't have to worry about the sub fitting in the box. I keep reading to get the IDMAX but that thing is to big for my tacoma. I would like to keep the speakers the same company and the stereo and amps the same.

I want a navigation system but the good ones are lots of $$$.

i am being an ass and forgot to say thank you for taking time to reply. so thank you.

11. Jan 15, 2009 at 4:18 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    There isn't a necessary reason to keep the brand name consistent all the way across unless you are sponsored. Better to pick out the best of this, the best of that, and put it together that way.

I like your idea of PDX mated to JL sub(s). Had I not already had amps, this would be something I would be greatly considering.

I would consider whether you need one or two subs. I bought two 12" subs for first car, and it was a waste, whereas my buddy's cadillac fatty man car practically demanded more oomph. Since the sub is in the cab with you, I would imagine one would be plenty.

If you are still hedging between the ID's and the JL, the only person I know with experience here is Mr Marv. If you are uncomfortable talking to him, I would consider talking to a formal car audio forum, such as http://www.the12volt.com/ or http://www.canadiancaraudio.com, my two favorites.

For door speakers, I would be more inclined to the ID's over the JL's, as my prior research gives me the opinion that JL doesn't focus on door speakers.

To save money in this area, focus on buying the front speakers and leave the rear stock. More seasoned installers tell me that rear speakers are barely used, and are often much much cheaper. The installer will fade the sound almost completely forward, letting the front speakers provide realism and a sense that you have the singer standing before you.
    This is my plan of attack - if I don't like it, all I have to do is buy significantly cheaper rear speakers at a later date.

We never got the word on what head unit you are thinking of... unless that's what you meant by NAV unit. In-dash NAV units are pretty popular with some of the guys here, and if you do go the double-din NAV route, try finding one where the screen can be removed and used as a GPS seperately.
    Like you, I considered it a large expense and pieced things out with an Alpine iDA-X100 and a Garmin nuvi 205W. (pic below, sorry if it's huge)

I'm bored as hell at work today, so thanks for letting me rattle off! If I've been babbling, feel free to let me know! :smack:

[​IMG]

12. Jan 15, 2009 at 7:13 PM
    atsaubrey

atsaubrey Dealer/Sales Rep for Sundown Audio.

Member:
    california
    Vehicle:
    blue 2007 double cab
    Sundown Audio 100.4 and 1500D, Pioneer 880PRS, Zapco Refernece 6.5" comps, 2 10" Image Dynamics IDQ, 200ft of Second Skin deadener, Kicker wire
    You cant go wrong with any ID product, I love JL subs but dont care for the comp sets from JL. FYI and I might be imformed correctly but I caught wind that ********* might be losing the ID line for contract violations and that means warranty might become and issue.

13. Jan 21, 2009 at 4:30 PM
    iamjyoung

Member:
    New Braunfels
    Vehicle:
    Toy
    I am looking real hard at package deal from taoctunes asked them if they were still dealers they said that someone is spreading rumors that are not true.

maybe your source is wrong?

You had me concerned about doing business with them but after talking to 5 different tacoma owners with their stuff that told me they did lots of research and got a better deal going with *********.com.

I found out they are in San Antonio and they said I can come by to see the products. I guess maybe since I am going to spend a lot of money they want to let me see what I am getting.

Products Discussed in

To Top