1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Does just swapping out the stock speakers make a diff?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by CRFan1, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Jan 16, 2009 at 6:38 AM
    CRFan1

CRFan1 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northwest Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Pre-Runner
    DNX5120, Audsion AMp, Hertz Speakers
    If I wanted to leave the stock head unit in and just swap out the stock speakers, is it going to be a noticeable difference? Will the stock head unit be able to power them?

What would you replace the stock speakers with and would you leave the tweeters in?

Just curious if anyone has done this....

2. Jan 16, 2009 at 6:57 AM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    I'm sure you'll hear SOME difference between the stockers and a nice set of aftermarkets...

3. Jan 16, 2009 at 7:15 AM
    sooner07

sooner07 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    You should hear a difference if you buy quality speakers... but remember crapping upstream ruins the water down stream and the HU is the source of all the sound (or poop in this metaphor). The HU isn't the worst I have ever heard in a car, it certainly can't hold its weight compared to a decent aftermarket unit.

My opinion is changing the HU first will give the most noticeable change and is the best bang for your buck. But, changing the speakers is nice and can really be impressive if down the road you switch out the HU. At that point you should notice the biggest change (with the exception of adding a good subwoofer).

4. Jan 16, 2009 at 7:30 AM
    CRFan1

Member:
    Northwest Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Pre-Runner
    Ok cool...thats what I am looking for. I am probably going to change for a good head unit first. Maybe its me but the treble on the stock unit does not seem to go high enough for my taste. The system is all bottom and mid sounding.

5. Jan 16, 2009 at 8:02 AM
    sooner07

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    Forgot to address what I would replace them with... that depends on a couple of factors, most important of which is your personal preference. Price point is the other big issue. I would go to audio stores and listen to things. If you want more highs, look for a cross over than you can adjust the level of the tweeter. Most decent component sets have attenuation controls in the crossover for the tweeters.

I have some Pioneers that I haven't gotten around to installing, but we on high reccomendation from Marv. I'll let you know how those work out when I get them in (probably next weekend). Image Dynamics makes some very nice component sets, but they are higher on the price scale. I used to be a big fan of CDT, but I rarely see them around anymore. I also really like Infinity Reference series speakers. Those are just a couple that I have heard and particularly like. YMMV, as your ears are certainly not the same as mine.

6. Jan 16, 2009 at 8:19 AM
    CRFan1

Member:
    Northwest Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Pre-Runner

Absolutely good advice and let me know how those sound when you get them in :)

7. Jan 16, 2009 at 8:23 AM
    sooner07

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
  8. Jan 16, 2009 at 5:07 PM
    m_yota

m_yota Well-Known Member

Member:
    Paradise
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 dbl cab
    K&N airfilter, HID conversion for headlights/fogs. Wet Okole Seat covers, Kove Aphex processor Kenwood comp 6.5" and 6.5"coaxial 5100 billy shocks 2.5", 1.5" fabtech AAL,Epicenter and MTX Sub, debadged, tinted, kenwood dnx812, black mesh grill, led ext/int.
    If you have a stereo shop that has demos on different brands of speaker/components...check them out. That will give you an idea of what your dealing with. Be aware some shops have processors behind all their setup, so if you notice something odd you might be right.

Products Discussed in

To Top