1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Connecting wire to components.

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by 2012TXbaja, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Oct 10, 2012 at 9:12 AM
    2012TXbaja

2012TXbaja [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Phoenix AZ
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prerunner
    Tinted windows, 6" Fabtech lift kit with Dirt Logic coilovers & Smoothies
    Hello everyone. I know this has probably been discussed before but i cant seem to find the thread.

What is the best & most reliable way to connect 0 guage cable & smaller to either a fuse block, grounding block, amplifier or other components? I'm not talking about seaker wires.

Would you just take your bare wire and use the factory (component) screws to clamp down on the copper strands or is there a better way to securly & reliably install the wire? I am planning to do an install on my truck & I would like to get advice from others that have installed before.

2. Oct 10, 2012 at 9:20 AM
    parboy

parboy FORE!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Sherwood, AR
    Vehicle:
    '13 MGM DCSB 4x4 TRD sport, Tow and Entune
    Tonnopro tonneau cover, Weathertech digital fit mats, Magnaflow 18" muffler with black exhaust tip, blacked out badges/emblems, Passport 9500ix, Pop & Lock PL8521, EZdown tailgate mod, 17" KMC XD addicts, 265/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers, OME 884 springs, Bilstein 5100's at zero, BHLM, FX-R retrofit, 80mm and 110mm morimoto rgb halo's with Bluetooth control, Raptor style led's in grill, LED's for dome, maps, reverse, license plate, parking lights, switchback DTRL's, ultra-gauge, Kenwood DNX690HD, Hertz HDP4, Hertz HSK165's, Memphis 12" in custom box, Black/Grey Roadwire leather kit with seat heaters, cool white interior led's from oznium.com, 20" AVEC dual row light bar in lower bumper, 19" AVEC single row light bar in grill,
    I can't think of any amp that will accept 0ga wire. You will need to use a distribution block to step down your wire size to go to your amps. I would use a 0ga to 4ga distribution block, connect the 0ga from the battery to the block, then run the 4ga off the block to your amps. This will be plenty of power. Then use 4ga for your ground from amp to chassis location.

3. Oct 10, 2012 at 9:29 AM
    2012TXbaja

2012TXbaja [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Phoenix AZ
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prerunner
    Tinted windows, 6" Fabtech lift kit with Dirt Logic coilovers & Smoothies
    Thats exactly what im planning on doing. but my question was about what the best way to connect the wire to the different components & distribution/fuse blocks.

Is there a better way to prep the wire before you install it into the component than just clamping down on the bare copper strands?

4. Oct 10, 2012 at 10:14 AM
    parboy

parboy FORE!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Sherwood, AR
    Vehicle:
    '13 MGM DCSB 4x4 TRD sport, Tow and Entune
    Tonnopro tonneau cover, Weathertech digital fit mats, Magnaflow 18" muffler with black exhaust tip, blacked out badges/emblems, Passport 9500ix, Pop & Lock PL8521, EZdown tailgate mod, 17" KMC XD addicts, 265/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers, OME 884 springs, Bilstein 5100's at zero, BHLM, FX-R retrofit, 80mm and 110mm morimoto rgb halo's with Bluetooth control, Raptor style led's in grill, LED's for dome, maps, reverse, license plate, parking lights, switchback DTRL's, ultra-gauge, Kenwood DNX690HD, Hertz HDP4, Hertz HSK165's, Memphis 12" in custom box, Black/Grey Roadwire leather kit with seat heaters, cool white interior led's from oznium.com, 20" AVEC dual row light bar in lower bumper, 19" AVEC single row light bar in grill,
    The usually have a built in system to connect the wire. I'd just use whatever method is on the components you are using.

5. Oct 10, 2012 at 9:36 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    You could tin the wire with solder, but you'll probably need a blow torch to do it... LoL

Bare wire is the common method though.

6. Oct 12, 2012 at 11:28 AM
    Beach Taco

Beach Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    12' SR5 4x4
    WeatherTech Ventvisors, Dealer Sprayed Underliner, Aries black 3" side bars, Front windows 35% tint

Products Discussed in

To Top