1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Antenna Wire

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by matt1381, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Oct 26, 2012 at 9:18 AM
    matt1381

matt1381 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Independence, KY
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 SR5 TRD
    OME 885 Front Coils All Pro 3 inch Leaf Springs 285 75 16 Pro Comp All-Terrains
    I had been getting static on my stock radio and thought maybe it was going out. So I got a Pioneer DVD unit and still have to static on radio stations. What do I have to do to follow the antenna wire to the antenna? Any parts I need to remove? I really dont want to remove the enitre dash to follow this. Is there anything else that could be causing this? BTW I have a 2005 double cab without the JBL system.

2. Oct 26, 2012 at 9:26 AM
    TurboGT

TurboGT Stirring the pot since...

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabe
    Portland
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno DC LB 4x4
    None yet, starting over!! OME lift w/ Dakars & 885's Remote Start w/ window control
    If you want to trace the wire and see if it's cut and all.... you've got to remove the dash.

A couple things you can do...
    • make sure the mast is tightened down
    • make sure the mast base is tightened down
    • test out the ground connection on the antenna by running a ground from the antenna plug on the back of the radio to a factory ground location (kick panels are good places to find factory grounds) or to the battery
    If all this does nothing, head down to a local install shop and ask them if they have a spare antenna that you can use to test (make sure you have the radio easily removable when you get there). The only problem with this method is that you need to find a way to hold the antenna in place, without actually holding it... otherwise your body will act as an antenna and you'll think your problems are solved. Alternatively, you can grab some 10 or 12 gauge wire, preferrably something with some semi-thick strands and carefully insert it into the radio antenna port (make sure you get it in the small hole in the back, and that you don't spread out the strands in doing so.

Best of luck with this

3. Oct 26, 2012 at 5:33 PM
    matt1381

matt1381 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Independence, KY
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 SR5 TRD
    OME 885 Front Coils All Pro 3 inch Leaf Springs 285 75 16 Pro Comp All-Terrains
    Well I tried the 12 gauge wire in the antenna port and I had a great signal. I guess I have a cut or bend in my antenna wire. I'll call the local shop tomorrow and see how much they charge to replace that or I might get the hidden antenna from antenna x. Anyone have any idea if those work well or not?

4. Oct 26, 2012 at 6:41 PM
    paid4c4

paid4c4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern KY
    Vehicle:
    2015 4X4 TDR Sport, Auto Extended Cab
    I have a hidden antenna in our 03 Corvette and it works great. I installed it when we got the Vette so it's been in use for 10 years. The antenna was made by custom audio also known as secret custom auto. I recently installed a replacement antenna in our 2010 Taco. Its made by Scooche from Walmart for 7 dollars and it works well. It was also easy to install.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Scosche-RMA900-Replacement-Car-Antenna/16652627
    Bill

Products Discussed in

To Top