1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Alpine IVA-W505 in 2012 Tacoma

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by iamsuperbleeder, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Nov 11, 2012 at 9:05 PM
    iamsuperbleeder

iamsuperbleeder [OP] Licensed Lunatic

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Lake City, Florida
    Vehicle:
    06 DC Prerunner Taco - SOLD -
    TRD E-locker rear axle swap, Cherrybomb Extreme muffler, custom made CAI, 2.5" spacer lift up front and AAL's in the rear, Sport model seat swap, Pioneer X940BT, Kicker shallow 10" and 12" behind the back seat
    I know that at this point the W505 is a little outdated... but when you get one for basically nothing then what the heck :D I currently have a Pioneer D3 in my truck (also outdated at this point...) and it serves me fairly well, but my only complaint about it is the lack of a USB port. I could add on a USB port, IF I could find the stupid USB box that Pioneer does not sell anymore...

But anywho, back to the Alpine. I got it for nothing because it was going in the trash. Only thing immediately wrong with it is the front touch panel was busted. Easy $30 repair. When I opened it up, the antiglare layer on the LCD was scratched. No problem, remove it; maybe the touch panel works as an antiglare layer so it wont be needed. After that I see that the polarizer film on the LCD is scratched... I can replace it too, $25 (that's a new film with antiglare too). Plus I'll need to order the video in/out dongle because I didn't get one with the unit and I'll need it for my headrest monitors and reverse cam; that's another $40. Lastly, it has the old V1 NAV drive in it with maps that are undoubtedly outdated; $100 takes care of that through Alpine; brand new current unit with up to date maps. So in the end, it's roughly a $200 upgrade. ALSO, I got the Alpine mini 45 amp X 4 channel power pack amp which goes between the head unit and the factory wiring so I'll be able to add some decent door speakers in the future and not have to worry about wiring up another amp!

What I'm wondering about though, does anyone have one of these units in a 2012 Tacoma? The reason I ask specifically about it being in the 2012 that I'm curious about how far it sticks out from the dash. I absolutely HATE seeing aftermarket stereos sticking 2" out from a dash; looks stupid... My D3 sits really flush and I like it like that :D

IMAG1361_a9b9320b98c829993b43e2ac0bae3c76522d56e7.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top