1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Relocating backup camera? Four Wheel Pop-Up Camper on new 2013 TRD Off-Road Tacoma

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by GrrrlBushpilot, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Dec 26, 2012 at 9:40 PM
    GrrrlBushpilot

GrrrlBushpilot [OP] New Member

Member:
    Pacific NW
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TRD Off-Road Access Cab
    Greetings from the proud new owner of a *hot* new red 2013 TRD Off-Road Tacoma with access cab and 6' bed.

I am on a medical hiatus from flying floatplanes up in BC, Canada, and Alaska and have recently relocated to the Pacific NW, where I am having no problem filling my free time with mountain biking, hiking, kayaking, climbing, back-country skiing, and the like...

The main goal of the purchase of our new toy is to install a Four Wheel Pop-Up Camper to assist my partner and me, along with Jackie-dog (our little 15-lb Jack Russell Terrorist -- she's in charge of clearing the area of wild squirrels and other varmints :)) with our outdoor adventures. We have just ordered the Fleet model and are scheduled to take delivery the week of Jan. 21st. We love the new truck and are very excited to head out with the new camper on board!

My current project is to figure out how to relocate the backup camera (which I have found very useful and probably even more useful with the camper installed!) from the tailgate (which will need to be removed for installation of the camper) to ??? (ideas garnered from other threads on this site include: license plate holder, rear bumper, back of camper...).

Issues to consider:
    1) I do want to be able to remove the camper and reinstall the tailgate periodically (to do farmgrrrl work! ...and commute to work), so I'm thinking a single reinstall that would save me having to buy another camera would be preferable.

2) We would like to carry our mountain bikes on a hitch-mounted rack, which could block a center-mount on a license plate. (maybe an off-center side mount?)

Any ideas? Other suggestions? Questions?

Tacoma-70.jpg

2. Dec 26, 2012 at 10:29 PM
    TheMaster

TheMaster Born to Ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Chicky Baby
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC TRD Sport
    Bug shield, window visors, skid plate, rust proofing, tonneau cover, paint & upholstery protection, side step bars, navigation system.
    How much do these campers sell for?

3. Dec 27, 2012 at 4:24 AM
    GrrrlBushpilot

Member:
    Pacific NW
    Vehicle:
    Well... they're not cheap! ;) Base price is 13k, but with all the options we wanted (not fancy, just functional), it came to 18 and some change...

BTW, since you're obviously a master at this posting process, I realize now that this forum is only for intros, not for questions... Before I get flamed too badly for not being able to read and following the rules (like everyone else around here obviously does!), is there an easy way to move this thread to another forum? Just copy it? Or modify this one and move the relevant question to another? Which forum? (2nd Gen? Audio and Video? -- oops, there I go, asking questions again! :eek:)

I appreciate any gentle guidance (please don't sic your doberman on me!).

4. Dec 27, 2012 at 4:41 AM
    Burns

Burns Excellent Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB Off-Road
    Bilstein 5100's @ 2.0", Wheelers 1.5" AAL, 265/75/16 Firestone Destination AT2's
    Nice looking truck and welcome to the site, dont worry aboot TheMaster he is harmless. :D

5. Dec 27, 2012 at 4:52 AM
    File IFR

File IFR "... Intercepting The Localizer"

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM 4X4 DC-LB TRD Sport
    Welcome to TW.

I would mount an aftermarket camera on the lic. plate bolts and see about making an adapter to fit the OEM cable to the new camera.

... an easier method is to buy a wireless cam and attach the monitor somewhere in the dash.

6. Dec 27, 2012 at 12:54 PM
    GrrrlBushpilot

Member:
    Pacific NW
    Vehicle:
    That's what they all say... It's all fun and games until someone shoots out your eye!:eek:

7. Nov 19, 2013 at 10:25 AM
    bryanmichaelmeyer

bryanmichaelmeyer Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Did you figure out this mod? I am trying to do this also and the dealership is trying to tell me $800 for the camera. I am about to call toyota corporate.

Bryan

8. Nov 19, 2013 at 10:34 AM
    Jeffvt0508

Jeffvt0508 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB 4x4 trd offroad
    Ome 887s, dakars, lr uca,sliders, konig countersteer,
    welcome!.. how much do they weigh? ~700 lbs? I would look into upgrading suspension ( rear-end sucks) I think the easiest way is to go aftermarket w/ the camera and monitor ...

9. Nov 20, 2013 at 3:55 PM
    bryanmichaelmeyer

bryanmichaelmeyer Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan

Not sure you are responding to me. The 4 wheel campers do indeed weight around 600ish pounds. This is the easiest solution I found. Ordered yesterday:

http://www.jemkosystems.com/backup-...ckup-camera-system-for-toyota-tacoma-255.html

I have an icon suspension, allpros, and just today had firestone bags installed in the rear. Looking forward to seeing how the bags have leveled it out.

Bryan

10. Nov 21, 2013 at 10:41 AM
    bryanmichaelmeyer

bryanmichaelmeyer Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Luckily the route i am going requires no voiding of warranty or modifications.

11. Nov 24, 2013 at 1:50 PM
    FRITACO

FRITACO New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    KC
    Vehicle:
    2013 TACO
    3"lift
    Me too, I'd like to move the back-up camera but just bought it MAR13 (warranty issues). I want to back it up to a hitch while the tailgate is down. When the warranty is up im gonna try manipulating the camera case to pivot in 30 degree increments w/out having to take it out of the original position (next to the handle). The camera is linked to the (rear view) mirror with a serpentine wiring system to the back of the truck (seen wedged along the right side hinging when the tailgate is open). If I cant do this, I'll just anchor the camera on or under the bumper and replace the void with a Pop-Lock aftermarket.

12. Dec 19, 2013 at 11:35 AM
    heliix

heliix Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Maryland
    bryanmichaelmeyer how did the install go with the aftermarket camera to the stock HU work for you? I am getting a cap with doors installed on a 2014 tacoma.

thanks
    Mike

13. Dec 20, 2013 at 8:57 AM
    bryanmichaelmeyer

bryanmichaelmeyer Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    I had a LOT of problems with Jemko. Not to go into all the details they gave me the run around for a few weeks and never actually had it in stock...

14. Dec 21, 2013 at 5:02 AM
    heliix

heliix Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Maryland
    Did you ever get the camera? I got the non pre wired version.

Products Discussed in

To Top