1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Driver Side Door Rattle (2012 Tacoma)

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by guitarjamman, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Feb 18, 2013 at 5:15 AM
    guitarjamman

guitarjamman [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Northeast
    Vehicle:
    2019 Ram 2500
    Well after installing the new Image Dynamic speakers and Pioneer Head unit, my truck screams when I turn it up - before I could max out the volume on the stock head unit and be left wanting more....The comparison is apples and oranges now with the new set up. Anywho, my driver side door panel always rattled when certain bass notes would hit or if a certain frequency went through the door - I bet you cuold imagine what it sounded like with the new equipment.

I refuse to drive a vehicle that requires my leg to always be pushing against the door so I went to work this weekend to figure out what was rattling and how to prevent it.

First I took the door skin off and went to town wrapping all the wires in felt sheets then in Neoprene (can buy sheets from Michael's for $0.59) After that was compelted, I bolted the door back up and still had the rattle. I then concluded that it was the window regulator/door lock switch that was vibrating within it's housing. I went to Home Depot and bought a roll of felt strip for about $2. I removed the console and lined the whole edge with the felt strip and forced it back into the holster. Viola, no more rattles! I do not have to use my leg to push against the door when going past 10 on the volume anymore.

Just a heads up for anyone dealing with the same issue. Now off to find a way to stop the rattle occuring from the seatbelt adjuster area.

2. Feb 21, 2013 at 7:46 AM
    dtopgun515

dtopgun515 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Darrell
    Hey Yall Georgia
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Sport
    5100's up front set to 1.75, SCS Stealth 6 wheels, Nitto Terra Grappler AT's
    I've got the same door rattle and something up by my left ear rattle. Haven't confirmed its the seatbelt adjuster though. Keep us updated.

3. Jan 10, 2014 at 11:26 AM
    dawhitetacoma

dawhitetacoma Active Member

Member:
    Where exactly did you put the felt? One the window control or the door panel where the control goes?

4. Jan 11, 2014 at 5:19 AM
    Valsmere

Valsmere Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    EXPENSIVE
    tail gate lock, rear view mirror bracket, hood hinge brackets, and the list grows.
    Thank you OP I have the same issue now I know where to look. Keep us posted on the adjuster rattle please!!!!!

Added a REP for you also

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  5. Jan 13, 2014 at 5:38 AM
    guitarjamman

guitarjamman [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Northeast
    Vehicle:
    2019 Ram 2500
    Here is a picture showing where I put the felt tape on the window regulator panel and door skin:

[​IMG]

I would probably even put some tape on the panel closest to my hand behind the latch. Do that to both sides and you should be good to go.

6. Jan 14, 2014 at 5:05 AM
    dawhitetacoma

dawhitetacoma Active Member

Member:
    Thanks for the pic! I seem to have gotten rid of mine. I just got like a car washing sponge and stuffed it in the hole so it would put some pressure in there. I still have a slight sound, but I think my tweeter is blown smh...

7. Nov 14, 2014 at 5:55 PM
    MrGlipsby

MrGlipsby Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    14 4x4 DC TRD OR MGM
    - Prinsu CabRac - Undercover SE Tonneau - Weathertech Floor Liners
    When pulling off the black plastic tray containing the windows/door lock, where do you pop it out from?

I'm about to lose my mind hearing this rattling noise, but I don't wanna break the plastic when pulling it off.

It's difficult to see from your pic where the best spot to pull up on it is.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Products Discussed in

To Top