1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sirius install

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by RedruM29, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Mar 3, 2013 at 8:24 AM
    RedruM29

RedruM29 [OP] Blinking Car Mod...

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Nor☆Cal
    Vehicle:
    08 trd sport 4x4
    Just enough, and never enough
    I am installing a Sirius unit to piggyback my alpine hu, what is the best power source to loop onto? I have been experimenting and so far most of my leads have not had a high enough amperage. Anyone help a brother out?

2. Mar 4, 2013 at 10:32 PM
    RedruM29

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Nor☆Cal
    Vehicle:
    08 trd sport 4x4
    no one?

3. Mar 6, 2013 at 3:47 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    I personally refuse to 'tap' into my stock wiring system.. I highly suggest a bluesea fuse block to run your accessories. You'll need to setup a relay as well but its a lot better then tapping into the stock wires.

Otherwise the cig lighter might be good to use. Do you need constant 12v of power or something that turns off/on with the truck? how many amps do you need?

4. Mar 9, 2013 at 3:27 PM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    When I hard wired my Sirius radio, I used an aux. cigarette lighter adapter that I got a Radio Shack.

It had a short "pig tail" (bare wires) and I powered it by using an "add a fuse" and extended some wire from the fuse box to behind the glove box and spliced in the cigarette lighter. Then I plugged in the power cable that came with my Sirius radio into the cigarette lighter and taped it up with electrical tape so they would not come apart. I then tucked all the wires into the dash behind the glove box and secured them with zip ties.

Sirius and XM both sell "hard wire kits" and I tried one of those first, but the voltage converter box crapped out on me after a few months, so I went with the cigarette lighter adapter the second time. It's been going strong for 3 years and counting.

5. Mar 9, 2013 at 7:56 PM
    RedruM29

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Nor☆Cal
    Vehicle:
    08 trd sport 4x4
    Haven't found out how many amps yet, still looking. Been planning on running a fuse block but I have been too lazy. Will have to get one to install this weekend. After all I have to install this thing after a year of the box sitting in my garage.

My new job dictates how much I drive so I will need satellite radio ASAP. Thanks for the advice.

Products Discussed in

To Top