Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   Audio & Video (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/audio-video/)
-   -   JL Audio Stealthbox vs. Custom DD Audio (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/audio-video/267719-jl-audio-stealthbox-vs-custom-dd-audio.html)

tjwomble93 03-11-2013 01:58 PM

JL Audio Stealthbox vs. Custom DD Audio

Hey guys, I'm just looking for some input from anyone who can vouch for either side. I've been wanting to buy some subs for my 07 double cab and I've narrowed it down to two choices:
1. Buying a system from the local audio shop and getting 2 10" 1000 series DD Audio subs ($300), 1000w DD Audio amp ($260), custom box behind rear seats (~$300) and another $85 for labor

Or

2. My buddies 2010 JL Audio Stealthbox (comes w/ 2 10" Jl W1V2 subwoofers and custom box for around $300..

Will there be a noticeable difference between the two setups? Could I save some money going the 1st route by buying a custom box online for $115 (is it same quality?) I appreciate the help in advance!

Highspeed 03-11-2013 02:24 PM

Disclaimer: I have no reference point other than what I've heard on the internet...

I have little doubt that the two DD subs in a custom box will out perform the JL option but... I have been told the JL option is quite good and considering you can get it for $300 I would be very tempted.

For myself, I have already ordered a custom dual ten box from Mr. Marv - so you can see, performance is more important than saving money to me.

tjwomble93 03-13-2013 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Highspeed (Post 6572470)
Disclaimer: I have no reference point other than what I've heard on the internet...

I have little doubt that the two DD subs in a custom box will out perform the JL option but... I have been told the JL option is quite good and considering you can get it for $300 I would be very tempted.

For myself, I have already ordered a custom dual ten box from Mr. Marv - so you can see, performance is more important than saving money to me.

Yeah I've heard only good things about JL but the max output for the stealth box is 600RMS i believe? and the dd audio is 1000RMS I didn't know if the sound difference would be worth the extra $500 or so..
and would there be any quality difference between a custom box online and a box the shop would make me? $100 vs $300 makes me wonder :rolleyes:

ToyotaTacoma4Ever 03-13-2013 06:09 AM

I've got that stealth box but I don't have alot of knowledge in this kind of stuff. I'm pretty happy with the two 10" JL subs. Have a single 800W amp and they kick pretty hard when I've got my music turned up

As for a custom box I couldn't tell ya. Unless you wanna try putting in a bigger sub? lol

Lateralus 03-13-2013 06:18 AM

X2 on the Mr Marv. Defiantly give it a thought and check him out. I have a single 10" box from him and a Alpine Type R sub in my '07 double cab. It sounds great!

But both of your 2 options aren't bad though. Good luck!

maykevin5 03-13-2013 06:19 AM

well, if you can get a stealth JL box for $300. that in itself is a really good deal. they are like $600 new. I have 2 JLCP108 in my rear floorboard and i can't believe JL can make them put out that much power. You will need to add some foam padding behind the box between the back wall and the box. people say they get some raddles.

tjwomble93 03-13-2013 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maykevin5 (Post 6582215)
well, if you can get a stealth JL box for $300. that in itself is a really good deal. they are like $600 new. I have 2 JLCP108 in my rear floorboard and i can't believe JL can make them put out that much power. You will need to add some foam padding behind the box between the back wall and the box. people say they get some raddles.

I actually got my taco from my buddy who's trying to sell the subs now, but when I heard them hit hard there was major rattling. Was it because he didn't cut the plastic behind the seats? or there was no padding? They were loud and quick though! Anything is better than the two 12" kicker l7s I had sitting on my seat not too long ago :p

Aw9d 03-13-2013 11:14 AM

The stealth box is great if you can get it for 300$, but the DD's will out preform them if the box is built correctly. Either way you can't go wrong.

tjwomble93 03-26-2013 09:31 AM

Okay I figured I might as well get the stealthbox now and down the road I can always sell it and get a custom setup.. Question I'm looking at the California 700w mono amp puts out 350rms x 1 at 2 ohms will this be sufficient?