1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

GTA car kit

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by cbe513, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Mar 22, 2013 at 12:16 PM
    cbe513

cbe513 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Pottstown PA
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Sport Double Cab
    3in pro comp lift Halo 17" Rims 285x70x17 Nitto Terra Grapplers KN Air Access Literider AVS bug and window visors GTA Radio Adapter
    I came across these today online. I have been looking into a aftermarket for my 06 because I mainly want aux. For 100$ you can get iphone/ipod cable, mp3 jack, keep steering wheel controls, and keep the stock look of your interior which I like. Its also will display text of your playlists! Aftermarket of course has nice features but can look a bit tacky and certainly cannot get one with all the features for 100 bucks.

Anyone install one of these? Input would be appreciated!

thanks!

http://www.gtacarkits.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isG_EechOKY

2. Mar 22, 2013 at 2:52 PM
    ky cats

ky cats Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    tony
    louisville,ky
    Vehicle:
    05 white prerunner sport
    tinted windows,access le tonneau cover,weathertech floormats,dtrl mod.5000 k ddm headlights,3000k driving lights,python alarm/remote start
    i just bought one for my son's 04 honda accord but haven't had a chance to install it.i orderd it on friday and got it on tuesday of this week.it looks like a pretty nice setup it came with the 30pin iphone plug and the 3.5mm plug .the interface its self is very small so it should not be very hard to find some were to mount it in the dash.the only thing is if you have an iphone5 you will need the 30 pin to lighting adapter to be able to plug your iphone into it.

3. Mar 26, 2013 at 1:30 PM
    Tex-Tac

Tex-Tac Well-Known Member

Member:
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma V6 PreRunner SR5 Extended Double Cab Desert Sand Mica
    Installed Overhead Compass and Temperature Display along with outside temperature sensor and wiring; LED lights reverse backup; LED license plate lights; Added GTA Bluetooth Audio kit to stock radio for iphone audio; Spare tire steel braided air hose extension connection to rear bumper; Installed new headlights along with new bulbs PIAA H4 XTreme and for fog lights PIAA H10 XTreme bulbs. Installed new hood with "hood-scoop". Installed Predator Side Steps. Replaced front chrome grill with customized color matched (Desert Sand Mica) grill with added TOYOTA lettering (also in matched color), installed and secured tailgate anti-theft devices. Also installed a new external TPMS monitor for all 4 tires.
    I ordered one for my 08 Tacoma early last week, was delivered to me this past Saturday and I installed it 'just today' and let me tell you it works terrific! Quick, easy installation, with clear cut video instructions, not bad for $99 bucks!
    I'd say go for it! :bananadance:

4. Apr 8, 2013 at 9:08 AM
    cbe513

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Pottstown PA
    Vehicle:
    3in pro comp lift Halo 17" Rims 285x70x17 Nitto Terra Grapplers KN Air Access Literider AVS bug and window visors GTA Radio Adapter
    Anymore reviews on these?

5. Apr 8, 2013 at 9:16 AM
    Reeves

Reeves Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail
    I have one in my 08 now for about 2 months. It works great does everything described. Just get some velcro strips to mount the box.

6. Apr 8, 2013 at 9:42 AM
    tacomatrdod

tacomatrdod Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mud Country
    Vehicle:
    2010 tacoma trd offroad
    Toolbox, stereo upgraded a tad
    I reallllyyy wish i had known i could've used the facory radio before i got a new one.. but oh well. Thank for making me feel so terrible about using an aftermarket.

7. Apr 8, 2013 at 2:35 PM
    huli467

huli467 Turning Octopus

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Honolulu
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4x4
    The world is big...and I want to have a good look at it...before it gets dark - John Muir
    Just ordered mine. The video was the selling point. So easy to do this mod and get my music from the ipod versus radio stations or CD's.

Can anyone comment on the music sound? Any better or worse? Just curious...

8. Apr 15, 2013 at 3:05 PM
    huli467

huli467 Turning Octopus

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Honolulu
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4x4
    The world is big...and I want to have a good look at it...before it gets dark - John Muir
    Took all but 10 mins to install and it works great! Sound is actually pretty decent although I'm changing out the speakers after I saw how puny the magnets are on the stock JBL speakers. Yikes.

9. May 10, 2013 at 7:52 AM
    cbe513

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Pottstown PA
    Vehicle:
    Ordered, shipped, and arrived in 3 days!! I watched the install video on their website which contains great info! I ran the aux cable and ipod/iphone cable to my center console fairly easily. I was worried that my center console would not close with the cable hanging out but it does without pinching the wire.

Works Great and steering wheel control works as well!!

TLDR:
    Great Product, Great Price 99$ shipped, Keeps stock interior look! Highly recommended to anyone looking for that AUX input on the older models!

:D:bananadance:

10. Jun 2, 2013 at 10:31 AM
    jjloco

jjloco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Worcester, MA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 access cab V6
    I just installed the GTA kit in my 2008 taco. Works great! Whole install took about 1/2 hour. That includes running the cables up to the center storage box, as mentioned in the gta tacoma video. I can't believe I used an FM transmitter for so long. My only regret is that I didn't get one sooner! Great sound! Louder and much clearer than the transmitter. The charging feature for iPhone/iPod is great too! If you're thinking about this kit, just do it! It's a no brainier!

11. Jun 4, 2013 at 2:29 PM
    duffman825

duffman825 Master Novice

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Boise Idaho
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB Off Road SuperWhite
    Billies in the front with Toytec 2.5 coils, Camburg UCAs, Add-a-leaf, Rear Billies, Clutch Noise TSB, Blower Fan TSB, Sway bar delete, Tint the front to match, Homer-oshi grill, BHLM, GTA car kit, AFE Magnum Force Stage 2 CAI, SCS SR8 wheels, 285/75/16 Duratracs, TRD quick shifter
    Just ordered the GTA kit for my 06 6 speed. Thinking about running the cable to the center console. Just wondering if anybody has done it and if so did you need to cut a hole in the console to run the wire through? Any difficulties in general? Haven't taken it apart yet so just curious.

12. Jun 5, 2013 at 6:10 AM
    jjloco

jjloco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Worcester, MA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 access cab V6
    I just did it this past weekend. Are you referring to the storage box between the seats (with lid)? Once you remove the carpet in there, you'll see holes already at the bottom. I ran the cables through the holes, then cut a slot in the carpet piece before replacing it. 3 days in and last night the GTA unit crapped out on me. It was working great. I was loving it..Now I hear a clicking noise coming from the GTA unit. I need to call them today.

13. Jun 5, 2013 at 8:01 AM
    duffman825

duffman825 Master Novice

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Boise Idaho
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB Off Road SuperWhite
    Billies in the front with Toytec 2.5 coils, Camburg UCAs, Add-a-leaf, Rear Billies, Clutch Noise TSB, Blower Fan TSB, Sway bar delete, Tint the front to match, Homer-oshi grill, BHLM, GTA car kit, AFE Magnum Force Stage 2 CAI, SCS SR8 wheels, 285/75/16 Duratracs, TRD quick shifter
    Oh ok good deal. No drilling required. Thanks for the heads up. Sorry to hear about the clicking, that makes me nervous. Just got the kit in the mail yesterday so hopefully I can get it installed this weekend.

14. Jun 25, 2013 at 7:45 AM
    jjloco

jjloco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Worcester, MA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 access cab V6
    Contacted GTA with my issue. Spoke to Maurizio. Nice guy, very helpfull. I got a replacement unit in just a few days. It's been installed for about 10 day now. No issues.

15. Jul 5, 2013 at 8:39 AM
    ezatnova

ezatnova Artax

Member:
    West Chester, PA
    Vehicle:
    21 DC TRD OR - Voodoo
    Wildpeak 265/75/16, Headstrong Progressive AAL, 5100's w Emu 885s
    Just FYI, I bought one for my 2011 DC OR. Install went fine, but some music is overlayed by static/crackling, mostly at peaks. Tried other iphones, different music formats, streaming music, etc etc, all had the same issue. Even navigation voice from google gets crackly sometimes. Issue occurs both on the 30 pin connection and when using the AUX port on the GTA box.

No other time does the sound system have the issue (CD, radio, Aux, XM...all are completely fine)

Spoke with Maurizio and he has been very responsive and attempting to help. I returned the unit for a replacement but the exact same issue is occuring with the second one.

The only way to reduce the static noise is to:
    a) use the AUX port on the GTA box and turn the phone volume WAY down. This is pointless since 1) I could juse use the AUX port on the truck and be done with it, and 2) with the phone volume so low, the head unit can't get loud enough even at max 3) AUX sounds like crap compared to 30 pin anways :)

b) turn Sound Check on, on the iphone Music Setting menu. Also selecting some of the EQ setting in that menu helps to further reduce the noise, but it's typically EQ choices that sound like crap, so this isn't a viable sollution. Sound Check is ok though, and helps a lot. Now I only hear the static about 20% of the time.

The other issue I'm having is that even in Playlist mode, the text (names of songs, etc) will not show up on the head unit. Only Track #.

FWIW, the model number on the front of my head unit is A518A8

Again, GTA staff has been helpful and supportive in trying to look into the issues.

16. Jul 5, 2013 at 10:22 PM
    mcanchol

mcanchol Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Thousand Oaks
    Vehicle:
    08' PreRunner SR5 Debadged
    18" Flowmaster Muffler w/ 2.5" CatBack Pipe
    Check out the pics below of my recent GTA Car Kit install.

The kit took less than 30 minutes to install and works great!

I ran the cable behind the stereo head unit down the right side under the cup holders and mounted the GTA Car Kit module on the plastic shroud to the right of the shifter using some Velcro strips. I then ran the rest of the cable up through the bottom of the center console. There are already holes in the bottom of the console to pass the cable through. Place the carpet back in the center console and you're good to go.

291886D1-3788-47F3-9465-F2BB7E773974.jpg
    07F6BFE1-C5B0-4DCA-8DD7-E34A2BCCAC91.jpg
    B2E84714-BBC6-41C4-A1BC-55CDF38FF115.jpg
    4D61749E-A7A9-4098-86B1-8E1DB3503C15.jpg

17. Jul 6, 2013 at 4:49 AM
    ezatnova

ezatnova Artax

Member:
    West Chester, PA
    Vehicle:
    21 DC TRD OR - Voodoo
    Macnhol, that's what I did too. It would have been simple if I hadn't slipped when popping out the cup holder, and removing half the skin on my thumb :mad:

Anyway, small update from GTA kits. Unfortunately they are saying that it's not compatible with my head unit and its firmware :confused: Sounds like I'm at a dead end at this point.

18. Jul 6, 2013 at 5:13 AM
    Onion27

Onion27 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Dbl Cab PreRunner
    Try the USA Spec kit. Works well.

19. Jul 19, 2013 at 2:12 PM
    CO Taco

CO Taco Texas Aggie

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4x4 Black
    Weather Tech Mats, GTA aux adapter, Plasti-dip emblems, radio
    Mine works great too. I just wired it through the glovbox and use the thicker cord that charges my iphone and i usually just slam the glove box close and it hasn't had a effect on the cord at all. It's a very sturdy cord.

20. Jul 25, 2013 at 3:59 AM
    ezatnova

ezatnova Artax

Member:
    West Chester, PA
    Vehicle:
    21 DC TRD OR - Voodoo
    I've been doing this too. Keep meaning to take a file and notch a tiny groove big enough for the cord to sit in, just to save the wear and tear on the cord.

Products Discussed in

To Top