1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Factory Sub Woofer issues

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by PSJ, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Apr 15, 2013 at 5:01 AM
    PSJ

PSJ [OP] Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    I know most would say just junk it and get a real system back there. But I do not blare my stereo like I did when I was younger :D !
    I just want to be able to use it without the rattles. When I turn the sub woofer on, it just rattles the back panel which seems to be rattling on the body, which makes the whole experience annoying so I just turn it off. Has anyone had this issue and know a fix? I thought about a sound barrier on the back wall, but wanted to see if anyone has had the same issue and knows a fix that works. Thanks for the input guys...

2. Apr 15, 2013 at 6:37 AM
    PSJ

PSJ [OP] Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    this can not be a isolated experience- it seems the design was not ready for the vibration of sound these sub woofers put out...:confused:

3. Apr 17, 2013 at 4:17 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    Ditch that BS JBL and get a real stereo :D j/k.

Sound deadening material would be a good choice. Insolite foam from Rammaudio would also help as you can use it to line the plastics. Every part of plastic that touches plastic can rattle. Plastic on metal can rattle. Wires not being secured can rattle. Rattles suck.

I would start with taking out the rear plastics and using the foam or foam/sound deadening and go from there. I've had to remove plastics, put them back in, turn up the bass, remove plastics, try again, rinse-wash-repeat... Rattle hunting is a battle but it can be won.

Good luck!

4. Apr 18, 2013 at 4:37 PM
    CBoy808

CBoy808 The Original Sticker Dude

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Mall Crawler
    mine rattles too! I think it would sound pretty good if there were no rattles.

I havent really tried to solve it yet. i wish someone else would and then post a how to haha

5. Apr 19, 2013 at 6:43 AM
    PSJ

PSJ [OP] Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    The good news I have taken the back panel off before to remove the back seat headrests. The bad news is I did not do this then! I hope I can get it resolved the first time....:D

6. Apr 19, 2013 at 11:23 AM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    Good luck! I've been hunting rattles for months, down to 4 major ones and that's it. I've used around 40ft of insolite foam to cover things that rattle.

7. Apr 20, 2013 at 6:54 AM
    PSJ

PSJ [OP] Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    How much material do I need to order for the back panel area? It seems my rattle is at the top of the panel edge on the the passenger side. Dealer gave me a strip of double sided foam to place between the panel edge and back wall for the fix! :eek:

8. Apr 21, 2013 at 3:14 PM
    CBoy808

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Mall Crawler
    this is about where mine is too, I was going to try and pull the panel next weekend and stuff it with some foam or something to kill the rattle. unsure of what to use for now.

dynamat seems very expensive lol

9. Apr 21, 2013 at 3:25 PM
    TRD Toy85

TRD Toy85 Well-Known Member

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    loaded 2013 TRD sport
    Mine rattles like hell to at higher volume. :(

Im not much of a bass head anymore either.

My plan is to take everything apart, wrap everything with sound deadnor and use some 3m body sealer on other parts. Also when re-installing the plastics a small amount of silicone helps keep everything tight , but still removeable if need be.

I also might upgrade the speaker with something slightly better, I know I wont get much more bass without adding a amp. But I'll be happy with just more clarity.

10. Apr 21, 2013 at 5:15 PM
    CBoy808

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Mall Crawler
    so i stuffed a towel in the little pass side cubby where the rattle was. it sort of quieted it down a little....enough that i realized my doors also sounds like they are rattling....:rolleyes:

Products Discussed in

To Top