1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2013 Tacoma Nav/GPS totally confusing

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by cactusred, May 16, 2013.

1. May 16, 2013 at 1:22 PM
    cactusred

cactusred [OP] Member

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    2013 Magnetic Grey Tacoma
    Hello all, I just bought a 2013 Tacoma DC TRD with the JBL/Entune package. I really like the sound this system puts out. But, I do have a question.

I have had 4 gps in the last 10 years, so I'm pretty familiar with how they operate but for the life of me, this system that comes on the truck, royally confuses the crap out of me.
    I start to put in a destination, say the zip code, then city, then try to put in street number but the digits I might require are blanked out, with others available but not what my street address is.
    So I try to another way, put in city, and it only allows city names that are in the zipcode already selected to come up. If I try to start with just streetname, it only allows streets in the city pair/zip code to be selected.

WTF!!!! Every gps I have ever used, always asked city first, then type street name, and it will come up with choices, and you select one that is in your zip code, done, end of story. Either I'm just out to lunch here, or I'm about to yank this %$&^&& GPS out of this truck, because it's useless right now. Some setting I'm missing or just over thinking it, I am clueless, but I'm surely looking for a little guidance how you guys are getting on.

Even my home address, I couldn't setup, I had to do it by selecting my present location, and saving it, naming it home. It wouldn't show the street available for my city/zip.

By the way, if somebody help me with this, for future reference, how do we update this thing. A DVD, I'm guessing. My wifes car had a sd slot, that you purchased the maps from Nissan to update it, no clue on this thing.
    Thanks....

2. May 16, 2013 at 5:06 PM
    cactusred

cactusred [OP] Member

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    2013 Magnetic Grey Tacoma
    I think I can reply or answer my own post on this. I just went back out and messed with this for another hour and tried different stuff but it caught my attention that I was putting number in where it said street. I'm use to that corrolating to house number, then name of street next, but it's opposite I guess on this gps.
    So I kind of figured that out then of course I put in my buddy's house that was just built, last year, and it said no such address exists, lol, I can't win..

3. May 16, 2013 at 5:07 PM
    TRD Toy85

TRD Toy85 Well-Known Member

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    loaded 2013 TRD sport
    Ya I agree it sucks , and the entune was great my first couple of uses. Now its just annoying and always has some type of hickups and freeze ups.

I love the reverse camera, other wise the JBL is not worth it, save your money.

4. May 22, 2013 at 12:19 PM
    wolfgang

wolfgang Active Member

Member:
    south USA
    Vehicle:
    12 4 door prerunner
    Air Intake system
    I have a 2012 with that POS in it also, you're correct, but don't expect Toyota to help!!! Went to arbration over that same issue, lost-they don't care, they got my $1900.00 for that unit-see ya!!!! 4th Tacoma-----BAD Radio---- OK truck.

5. May 22, 2013 at 12:22 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I know this is their first attempt at NAV in the tacoma.... Don't they have NAV in the other vehicles? Haven't they had it for a while or no?
    You'd think they'd have it figured out by now...??

For gawd sake, I hope they figure this shit out by the time the 3rd gen trucks come out.

6. May 23, 2013 at 7:34 AM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC LB 4WD TRD SPORT NAVI
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    YES the nav sucks balls.

Go to the dealer and complain and make sure they give you the latest update. I got my 12 in oct of 2011 and the nav was just about unusable. I have had it updated several times. After each update it gets a little better. I would say even after all the updates it still sucks balls. If I had to do it over again I would have put in a kenwood because it uses garmins software. The jbl uses the retarded tomtom software.

It seems stupid how retarded they made this nav. Compared to a garmin it has an IQ of 50.

The biggest help is to figure out how it wants the addresses. Its different than the garmin how you put them in. And here in Utah it does not understand the addresses here.

7. May 23, 2013 at 7:38 AM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    Did they ever update the software for you?

I got them to put in a new hard drive and then had several software updates. It made it a little better but still it is a POS.

I still might end up putting in a kenwood. They have garmins software and it is way better.

8. Jun 20, 2013 at 5:40 AM
    BRUCEB

BRUCEB Well-Known Member

Member:
    CENTRAL MISSOURI
    Vehicle:
    2012 CREW CAB TRD
    My nav is out of date also.Bought the truck in Aug.12;was built in June.12;but has a 4th quarter,2010 nav update in it,from the factory!Called local dealer,was told,don't have a update yet,realy don't know when they will.Hard for me to belive,that,they can't get a update more quickly than this.IF,they ever do get a new one out,going to see if I can get dealer to update for free,sounds only fair to me.

9. Jun 20, 2013 at 7:18 AM
    elmerew

elmerew Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Elmer
    San Diego/North Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma DCSB Baja White
    BakFlip F1 Bed Cover, Pop Lock for tailgate, Weathertech Digi Fit Floor mats and Side Window Deflectors, Dash Cover, Custom Seat Covers, Hood Protector, Scanguage 2, TopLine Bed Expander, and Rear seat cover for dog, lots of LED lights (from Chris)
    How do you know what version you have? If mine is not the latest then I would expect and update.

10. Jun 20, 2013 at 8:32 AM
    CircuitBreaker

CircuitBreaker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    13 Tacoma TRD
    Reading the posts here, I'm glad I didn't spend the money to have the dealer upgrade the system that was in my 2013 DC TRD. It sounds like the $1500 I spent on the Kenwood DNN-990HD was the better route.

11. Jun 21, 2013 at 7:15 AM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    I was just at the dealer the other day and was told I would have to pay for anyupdates. And it sounds like it will be about $250 or so for the software and install.

What a crock of shit I wish I never got it.

Products Discussed in

To Top