1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is there a double din head unit that will work with Iphone5 + Google Maps?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Poolstick, May 28, 2013.

1. May 28, 2013 at 4:13 PM
    Poolstick

Poolstick [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I'm looking into upgrading my head unit (as well as speakers) in the not too distant future, and I'm trying to decide what route to go. I'd need a preamp sub output and obviously outputs for the 6 stock speakers on my double cab. Do I need 6 outputs or just 4 for this?

For me, the advantage of the big, color screen units would be the ability to use navigation (specifically google maps) from my Iphone, as well as being able to listen to music (for which I generally use spotify and the regular music app). From what I can tell, this type of unit would work well for me, but I'm not sure google maps will work for me. I would guess I need the connection for the Iphone5 as well.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130X350BHS/Pioneer-AVH-X3500BHS.html#details-tab
    http://www.crutchfield.com/p_700VGAAV/Pioneer-iPhone-5-VGA-Connection-Package.html#details-tab

If I can't use google maps, probably having the big color screen isn't worth it for me. I don't see myself often using the DVD/Streaming Video stuff, is there anything else cool you can do with it?

I like the look of the double din over the single, would a unit like this work for me if I can't get the Google Maps stuff to work?

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KWR900B/JVC-KW-R900BT.html?tp=5684

Obviously this would be the cheaper route and I wouldn't need to use the connection package, as that's only needed for video.

What do you guys think would be best for me?

2. May 28, 2013 at 11:33 PM
    Riverdog

Riverdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '05 Double Cab PreRunner
    Yeah, the Pioneer AVH-X3500BHS is going to suit your needs well. It just won't run Google Maps. I'm not aware of a deck that will run Google Maps on the screen, but I'm not aware of all the features of all decks. On the deck you picked out though, you'll have to use another navigation app instead. To see the available navigation apps, go here and then scroll down a bit to the vertical tabs (i.e. Overview, Specifications, Videos, etc.) and then click on the "Apps" tab. From there, you can see all the apps available, including the navigation apps. You can even filter the apps so you can just see the navigation ones if you want. Here's a video that shows off the NavFree app. As you might assume, its free.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=COGt9Ma5WAs#

If you go with this deck, you might look into Rdio as an alternative to Spotify. Its essentially the same type of service as Spotify. If you had an iPhone 4 or 4S, then I would definitely recommend switching to Rdio because its one of the apps that is compatible with this deck. Its not compatible with the iPhone 5 though. But it could be in future, so at least check it out and keep it on your radar.

As for the pre-outs, you'll have three: fronts, rears, and sub. However, the fronts and rears consist of a pair of RCAs (one each for left and right). So technically, you'll have five but all the reading material will probably only say there are three pre-outs. The front pre-outs will run the tweeters and woofers. If that's confusing, then just remember this: don't worry, there are enough pre-outs to run all six speakers and sub in your double cab.

You might consider getting the Pioneer AVH-X4500BT for $50 more or the Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS for $100 more. These both have 4 volt pre-outs. The 3500 that you picked out only has 2 volt pre-outs. 4V has the potential to produce better sound. It just depends on what speakers you're using and whether or not you can hear the difference on those speakers.

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  3. May 29, 2013 at 9:52 AM
    CrazyDiamond

CrazyDiamond Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 TRD / DC / SB
    ^^^^ Just keep in mind that this head unit will work for video ONLY with the additional cables and adapters.

You need this guy: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130IV202AV/Pioneer-CD-IV202AV.html
    Plus this one: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_472LT2VGA/Apple-Lightning-to-VGA-Adapter.html?tp=47586
    Plus your apple lightning / USB cable....
    Oh, and you supposedly have to update the firmware.

It get's real expensive, real quick.

I have this head unit (without the adapters) and it works great for everything except video / on screen navigation. The pandora app, ipod features, and phone features all work very well (iPhone 5). Since I can play the navigation audio through the head unit (it overrides Pandora and ipod as you would expect), I've settled for using the phone for onscreen directions. Just get a mount :)

4. May 29, 2013 at 11:05 AM
    Poolstick

Member:
    Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Whats the advantage of one of the big full screen models vs the JVC I linked to? Besides it looking maybe a little bit sleeker and being able to see what your listening to a bit bigger.

I might just stick with using the same setup I'm using now, just selecting everything straight from the Ipod and using the AUX cable. Seems to be just as good as anything else, besides it not charging, but I have a little cigarette lighter that does that (one extra cord, whatever).

It seems the JVC one has similar audio output strength but you save a good bit of money because your not paying for the fancy screen. Is this true? Eventually I'd like to upgrade speakers and do a sub install, so I'd like the HU to have pretty good audio capabilities. This is the main reason for upgrading from the stock HU, the other stuff just seems like an added bonus.

5. May 29, 2013 at 1:14 PM
    CrazyDiamond

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 TRD / DC / SB
    I had an older JVC (DVD) head unit before this Pioneer. To me, the Pioneer is worth the extra money. It fully supports the iPhone 5, other than video. Don't get me wrong, the JVC was nice but the touchscreen, phone features, improved bass management, sound equalization, easy menus, etc... made the Pioneer shine in comparison. I also like seeing the album artwork when using the iPod and Pandora (hard wired, not bluetooth).

Zero regrets on spending the extra coin.

Also, do you have a backup camera? I hooked mine up to both the mirror and the Pioneer :D

6. May 29, 2013 at 8:11 PM
    Poolstick

Member:
    I do have the backup cam but never really use it except in a few specific situations.

7. Jun 10, 2013 at 7:17 AM
    jlleiber

jlleiber Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM TRD Sport DC 4x4

Do you use the standard USB-Lightning cable to connect your iPhone 5 to the 3500? Or do you just listen to everything via Bluetooth?

If you do use the cable, does it allow you to change pandora using the headunit buttons and does it also charge your phone?

8. Jun 10, 2013 at 1:09 PM
    theallpowerfuljon

theallpowerfuljon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Wichita, KS
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road 15 T4R Limited
    There's a bug in the firmware update for the AVH-X3500BHS that 'breaks' the Pandora output as soon as you update to the firmware that's required to use iPhone 5. Also, the not included Pioneer cable, lightning-to-USB, and lightning-to-RGB cables are a combined $150.00 ...

Just an FYI if you plan to use it with an iPhone 5. I'm installing mine as we speak but playing around with it, it works pretty well over bluetooth.

9. Jun 10, 2013 at 1:21 PM
    jlleiber

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Yeah I saw that bug in the firmware too. I'm pretty disappointed that video over the iPhone 5 is so difficult/expensive. I'm about to get the x3500 as well - can you control the your iphone 5 on the headunit over bluetooth? i.e., can you change tracks or switch pandora stations?

10. Jun 11, 2013 at 6:00 AM
    theallpowerfuljon

theallpowerfuljon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Wichita, KS
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road 15 T4R Limited
    I'll test it tonight and let you know. I spent all of last night soldering the backup camera feed and e-brake relay.

Still waiting on my ********* goodies!! :)

One thing I noticed while messing around in the store with a Pioneer Appradio 2 and my wife's iPhone 4s, is the video feed kinda sucks. I don't know if that's a problem with the Pioneer or if that's just the resolution of the iPhone 4S blown up. Maps and other apps weren't that impressive over it.

11. Jun 12, 2013 at 6:09 AM
    CrazyDiamond

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 TRD / DC / SB
    Sorry for my slow response. I generally run my iPhone plugged in (but bluetooth works great, too). I used an old 30 pin iPhone cable, and then used a 30pin to 8 pin adapter (all apple hardware). My apple cable is plugged directly into the back of the headunit. I tried running the Tundra USB jack with another USB cable, but it was temperamental - so I tabled that for now.

From the head unit, I can see the Pandora artwork, change stations, thumbs up/down, and skip tracks. Yes, it charges my phone.

iPod controls work similarly. With my ASWC adapter, the steering wheel controls works well, too. Backup camera works fine. I did not do any firmware updates. I'm running the head unit as it came out of the box from Crutchfield.

I have zero issues, other than not being able to watch videos from my phone on the screen - which does not bother me. I've had several people ask me if this was a factory setup.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  12. Jun 12, 2013 at 8:36 AM
    jlleiber

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Awesome - thanks for the input. And I'm with you, I don't really need the iphone 5 video on the screen. The only thing that would be cool is one of the Maps apps, but I can just buy a mount for that and let audio stream over the headunit.

Did you buy an aftermarket backup camera or splice into your stock cam?

13. Jun 12, 2013 at 10:05 AM
    CrazyDiamond

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 TRD / DC / SB
    I'm using the camera that came with my '11 double cab. It now displays in both the mirror and on the screen.

The picture quality is pretty good. I used a heavily shielded cable.

14. Jun 12, 2013 at 10:08 AM
    CrazyDiamond

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 TRD / DC / SB
    This is how Pandora looks - including my greasy finger prints on the touch screen, lol.

The station/song title/etc... are scrolling, that is why they look off center. You press the magnifying glass icon to search your stations. The same is true for the iPod functions as well.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  15. Jun 12, 2013 at 10:46 AM
    jlleiber

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Looks great! Thanks for all the input - pretty much solidified my decision haha. It looks like your unit sits pretty far back in there. Doesn't make it awkward to see/push the side buttons does it?

16. Jun 12, 2013 at 10:59 AM
    CrazyDiamond

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 TRD / DC / SB
    That picture makes it look worse than it is. I can easily press the buttons.

I use the touch screen almost exclusively. The exception to this is the steering wheel volume and track controls.

The bluetooth calling works well, too. It is fairly easy to navigate and access my phone book on the touch screen.

17. Sep 26, 2013 at 12:08 AM
    fixxxer181

fixxxer181 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Killen, al
    Vehicle:
    All mine!
    Pioneer priemere head unit. JL 6.5 components in the fronts. JL 6.5 coaxial's in rear doors. Pushed by JL JX360/4. Kicker "Hideaway" under passenger seat, self powered.
    Hope I don't get flamed for this but I just installed the Pioneer AVH-X2500BT, it looks the exact same and if I am not mistaken is the same with the exception of satellite radio. I could be wrong, it is late at night and my comparisons skills are lacking. But I installed my 2 days ago and love it. Now just looking for a back-up camera (I have an 07) to hook up to it.
    Compare the two, might save a couple of bucks.

18. Oct 28, 2013 at 11:15 AM
    nadera17

nadera17 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nader
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    I4 SR5
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/audio-video/101933-my-audio-deadening-project.html, Drone Mobile alarm by Compustar, ARE camper shell for the dogs
  19. Oct 28, 2013 at 8:26 PM
    Agro

Agro Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2015 Ford F-150 XLT 3.5L Ecoboost!
    AppRadio2 or AppRadio3 with either
    Android = AR Unleashed (or AR Liberator)
    iPhone4/5 Jailbroke = AR Extensions

run googlemaps fine. I'd run Waze though

Products Discussed in

To Top