1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2014 Navigation Unit in 2013

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by yogster, Nov 22, 2013.

1. Nov 22, 2013 at 7:53 PM
    yogster

yogster [OP] merkwürdigliebe

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    13 Black DCLB SR5
    DCLB Black 4WD Illumination dial from 4runner, Flyzeyes LED. Hardwire GPS and Valentine1 with BlendMount mirror mount, TRD shift knob, tube steps, swapped out for signal lamp mirrors. Garmin Eco-Route HD for Bluetooth ODBII Diagnostics, 2014 Entune Plus w Navigation, Leer 100XL dome light wired to dome circuit, pop&lock tailgate and cap locks.
    I've done this mod and everything works fine - it's just plug and play.

But here's some information....

A base display audio equipped 2013, which is what I had, does not have a Voice Control button on the RH steering pad. The JBL and Navigation equipped do. I verified the wiring on TIS Techinfo. There are 3 wires. Two control and one ground. The same 3 wires are the only wires used on either Steering Wheel Control system.

I verified that Voice Control works on the 2014 unit - I went through the "voice training" on the Navigation unit. It hears me and calibrates the system. (oh, the answer to an obivious question - there is NO way to engage the Voice Control on this unit with anything but the steering wheel control).

So.... I researched buying the controls WITH the VC button. Pricey. Both LH and RH must be purchased. $280. I'm wondering if there is a market for my controls if I go down this road.

If someone were interested in purchasing my steering wheel controls, I'm pretty sure that trucks that do not come with steering wheel controls only have a 7-way vs 16-way spiral cable assembly. That would mean there would be no way to get the signals out of the steering wheel without also purchasing a spiral cable assembly. Could be wrong. If no swap is required, then more than likely the proper 3 pins are wired, and maybe wired to the radio harness. Wondering if anyone could shed some light on this as I do not know anyone with a real basic truck.

Also, I was thinking of purchasing the 2014 steering wheel controls (when available). They are the same shape so they'll fit, but add some additional buttons. Again by researching the TIS site, I determined that connections are the same for existing buttons. The additional buttons add "left, right, up, down, enter, return" - somewhat more useful on some navi unit screens. These additional buttons use a 3rd control wire. As my spiral cable is already 16-way, I would only need to add this third control wire to the proper pin at the S8 connector and at the N25 connector - not very difficult at all. Actually it may be there already, I'd have to check.

Again only worthwhile if I were to sell my steering wheel controls...

I guess this all sounds pricey, but I purchased the 2014 Navigation unit for $450, sold my display unit for $225. So I have upgraded my radio to the Premium Entune, with Navigation for $225 total so far. New steering controls would make that about $500 total. If I could sell my controls for maybe $150, that would mean the whole thing would have cost me $350, which is FAR less than I would have paid for decent after market system, and an AXESS or similar SWC controller.

The TIS site is very useful. Too bad it is so expensive. They've got me twice for $15 and I downloaded all I could. I guess I need to add $30 to the cost of my upgrade! The wiring diagrams (well the color ones) are not easily downloaded. No way to save them off outside of the SVG viewer. But any PDF that is relevant, I grab. The diagrams and interactive links to connectors, locations make life easier instead of just trying to guess what wire is what.

I had a Subaru Outback and had access to all of this stuff for free, I was kind of surprised when I found I had to pay!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  2. Nov 23, 2013 at 12:33 AM
    drmcstford

drmcstford The Sauce Boss

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Glendora, CA
    Vehicle:
    14 Prerunner TRD OR
    Maybe you can answer my question?! I just bought my 2014 tacoma and it has the entune plus audio with ipod connection traffic and weather, I thought i had Navigation :( Is their anyway to get navigation?? any mods or something? I could of sworn the antenna on the top was navigation LOL

3. Nov 23, 2013 at 4:58 AM
    yogster

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    13 Black DCLB SR5
    DCLB Black 4WD Illumination dial from 4runner, Flyzeyes LED. Hardwire GPS and Valentine1 with BlendMount mirror mount, TRD shift knob, tube steps, swapped out for signal lamp mirrors. Garmin Eco-Route HD for Bluetooth ODBII Diagnostics, 2014 Entune Plus w Navigation, Leer 100XL dome light wired to dome circuit, pop&lock tailgate and cap locks.
    The shark-fin antenna on your roof is a housing for the GPS and SDARS antennas. Each antenna operates and receives different frequency signals.

I would think they put both antennas and both cables in the housing - no matter how your truck is equipped - to save costs. Maybe.

In a Navigation equipped radio, you will have an micro SD card port under a cover on the lower right of radio. The maps are contained on the SD card. Pull out the car, no maps. Non-navigation radios do not have this SD card port. This, along with the fact that the GPS computer is not present in a Non-navigation radio, means that it is not possible to
    "upgrade" a non-navigation radio.

Many Toyotas mount the GPS antenna in a bracket high up in the dash behind the radio. This is what I did with the Tacoma, as the shark fin antenna is like $700.

Using the Shark fin antenna is problematic if you go the aftermarket route, the connectors won't match. You cannot just splice the antenna cable, unless you have that skill set, one would need to be properly made.

Sorry if this is TMI.

4. Nov 23, 2013 at 9:57 AM
    drmcstford

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Glendora, CA
    Vehicle:
    14 Prerunner TRD OR
    Not at all i appreciate it! Damn Toyota ! I would have liked to add navigation :( i always have my phone and its a note 3 but still would have liked to have it on screen lol ! Thanks :D

5. Nov 25, 2013 at 8:57 PM
    Taco Johns

Taco Johns Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off Road
    Thanks for the info! Like drmcstford, I just bought a 2014 with the Entune Audio Plus. I am looking to upgrade to a Kenwood Nav unit, and although I think you already said it when you called your swap "plug and play", I wanted to confirm that the wiring harnesses that hook up to the stock head units are identical in the 2013s and 2014s. Also, on your new Entune nav deck, does the GPS/sat radio, Bluetooth mic, and backup camera have separate inputs into the head unit, or are they integrated with the main wiring harness? Appreciate any help you can offer!

6. Nov 26, 2013 at 4:00 PM
    yogster

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    13 Black DCLB SR5

No problem!

The 10-pin connector (white) contains front speaker, 20A fused constant power, and ground connections. This connector is the same on 2013 and 2014, same pin-out.

The 6-pin connector (blue) contains rear or roof speaker connections on double cab or access cab respectively. This connector is the same on 2013 and 2014, same pin-out.

The 28-pin connector (white) contains mic connections, aux, speed sensor, ignition connection, and steering wheel controls. Steering wheel: 2014 has a 4 wire connection from the spiral cable assembly (3 signal, one ground). 2013 has a 3 wire connection from the spiral cable assembly (2 signal, one ground). The extra wire in the 2014 is for the "return", "enter" and "right/left" functions found on the LH steering control pad. The available steering wheel functions on a 2013 function fine with the 2014 radio. 2013's have the backup camera in the rearview mirror, not the display. I performed display camera mod on my truck. The mod works for a 2013 radio, or a 2014 radio (a 2014 radio in a 2014 vehicle would of course already have the proper connections as the camera displays on the unit). What I'm getting to is on this 28-Pin connector there will be no reverse wire connection in the 2013. The 2014 vehicle will have it. Bottom line is the 2013 vehicle will function as normal, with camera display in the mirror unless mod is performed. The reverse wire signals the unit to switch to the camera display when vehicle gear selector is in reverse (auto) or backup lights come on (manual). The pin out is the same on 2013 or 2014 trucks except for the missing reverse and 4th signal wire from the spiral cable.

4-pin connector (gray), USB connector, same for both 2013 and 2014

24-pin connector (white), This is for the video backup camera as mentioned above. In a 2013 there is a 16 pin connector, but there is no harness connection unless you buy/do the mod. The mod will come with a 16-pin connector, which can be modified easily to plug into the 24 pin connector. I did this. But it does not need to be done, like I said, the camera functions as normal in the mirror. There are several threads on the backup camera mod, I won't get into that here.

8-pin connector (white) - this if for the satellite tuner add-on. It is the same for either 2013 or 2014, if equipped.

GPS antenna connector (blue), the same for 2013 or 2014. My truck did not come pre-wired for GPS. The seller I bought the radio from included an OEM Toyota/Lexus GPS antenna. It plugged right in. There are no other connections for the GPS. The speed sensor mentioned above (28-pin connector) is present on both MY trucks and is required for proper GPS/system operation. It also locks out functions when you are moving!

Radio antenna connector (white), the same for 2013 or 2014.

Like I said, I did nothing to my truck, the unit and it's surrounding bezel plugged right in without modifications and everything - steering wheel, usb, aux, mic, etc all worked as expected. The only "mod" would have been to the backup camera display. As I mentioned in my post, voice control will not work. A 2013 truck with the base audio does not have the VC button on the right steering pad. The connection is there, the mic will pick up your voice (as the voice training menu option proves), but there is no way to engage without the button on the pad.

I pulled all of this information from TIS Toyota Tech info. I confirmed the connectors, pin-outs, connector types, reviewed wiring diagrams, before venturing down this path. I was sure it would be fine and it was.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  7. Nov 26, 2013 at 4:09 PM
    yogster

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    13 Black DCLB SR5
    Also, Taco Johns, I gather you are confirming that an aftermarket Nav unit harness adapter that says "compatible" with a 2013 base display audio truck will work with your 2014. It will. But you will not be able to use the OEM GPS antenna without an adapter, the USB might be problematic as well. The steering wheel controls will need to be fed through one of those quirky AXXESS thingys. I've used those before. They work. OK. Until they don't work. My previous ride I would have to reset (turn off car) sometimes to get it back working.

8. Nov 26, 2013 at 4:44 PM
    drmcstford

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Glendora, CA
    Vehicle:
    14 Prerunner TRD OR
    What If i were to buy a 2013-14 OEM nav head unit would it be plug and play?? Is that what you did?

9. Nov 26, 2013 at 4:55 PM
    yogster

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    13 Black DCLB SR5
    The connections for the 2014 base navigation unit (no JBL) are the same as the 2014 base unit without navigation. That would be plug-n-play .

For 2013 the navigation option only came with JBL amp. Those connections will not be the same. There will not be any amplification on the speaker signals.

I acquired a 2014 Navigation system with Entune Plus, no JBL, and replaced my 2013 base display audio system, no JBL.

10. Nov 26, 2013 at 5:28 PM
    drmcstford

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Glendora, CA
    Vehicle:
    14 Prerunner TRD OR
    Ok How would this work, I have a 2014 base unit with out nav and without jbl, I have the chance to purchase a 2013 unit with nav and jbl would my controls on the steering wheel work, navigation, and music be ok? Or would i need the jbl amp as well?

Thanks for all the info I'm sorry if its annoying! :D

11. Nov 26, 2013 at 5:50 PM
    yogster

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    13 Black DCLB SR5
    I did not download that particular unit's wiring diagram from Toyota. I may be mistaken but the 28-pin connector which would have aux, mic, steering connections is the same. The speaker connectors are different.

I'd register on TIS and buy a 2-day subscription. I can walk you through where you need to go and how to decipher the diagrams. After an hour or so I had their system figured out.

Each wiring diagram will have a legend that describes the connectors. You can click on the appropriate part of the wiring diagram and it will bring up a picture of the connector.

If (a big if) there are amplified connections on the JBL unit (they maybe on unused pins) you could use the part numbers of the connectors to manufacture your own adapters. It would be trial an error as unused pins are not identified in the wiring diagrams.

The connectors run about $6 each. You can find compatible pins on some of the electronics websites, you can also buy "repair" pins from Toyota that come with about 4 inches of wire you can solder/splice into. Except those little repair wires are about $6 each!.

12. Nov 27, 2013 at 12:48 PM
    TacoRaider

TacoRaider Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Vehicle:
    13 PreRunner

Hey Yogster. This is great info. I’ve been looking to do this myself. Few questions for you.

• Where did you get that $280.00 quote for the 2014 LH and RH steering wheel controls?
    • I also have the 2013 base HU so if I jump up to the 2014 Entune HU would I need to buy an additional XM tuner to plug and play right into the 2014 unit or does it come standard? And what about the XM antennae?
    • How difficult is it to add the additional wire for the VC?
    Hey Taco Johns and drmsctford, I may be interested in buying your 2014 Entune Plus (even though it doesn’t have NAV). Thoughts?

13. Nov 27, 2013 at 10:40 PM
    Taco Johns

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off Road
    Thanks for the help, Yogster! You've gone above and beyond with the amount of info provided. Since most aftermarket wire harness manufacturers aren't yet supporting 2014 Tacomas, I'm still good to go buying harnesses for a 2013. Only wrinkles are as you identified with the USB, AUX, and GPS inputs. I believe axxess makes an adapter for my OE USB jack:
    http://axxessinterfaces.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=76&products_id=3
    and possibly for the OE AUX as well:
    http://axxessinterfaces.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=7 which should work in conjuction with the steering wheel control adapter I'll need to get--I think "quirky axxess thingy" was your technical term :)
    So I think the last piece of the puzzle is my GPS antenna. When I get a look at the blue GPS connector you described above, hopefully I can find a way to adapt it to a Kenwood GT5 type GPS input connector.

14. Nov 27, 2013 at 10:43 PM
    Taco Johns

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off Road
    TacoRaider--I would be interested in selling you my Entune Plus HU (no Nav) but I need to wait until I get the Kenwood in and working properly. Will keep you posted.

15. Nov 29, 2013 at 12:25 PM
    Taco Johns

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off Road
    Hey Yogster, do you happen to know the power output (RMS) per channel on my stock Entune plus?

16. Nov 30, 2013 at 2:08 AM
    ChiChisonMATACO

ChiChisonMATACO New Member

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    '14 Sport
    I have a '14 with the Entune non-nav HU. Where did u purchase your Entune with Nav? I would love to get my hands on one !!

17. Nov 30, 2013 at 3:45 PM
    sr5vic

sr5vic Buy & Hodl

Member:
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    '13 Access Cab SR5 4x4
    295/70/17 Geolander G003 M/T's, 17" Work S1HC's, 1" Bora Wheel Spacers, King 2.5 EXT Coilovers, King 2.5 Tundra Rears, Total Chaos UCA's, Total Chaos LCA's, BruteForce Fab Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier, OME Dakar CS047R Leaf Springs w/ D29XL AAL, 'OCTACO' Custom SS Brake Lines, Extended R.Diff Breather, RDI Aluminum Skid Plates, BAJADESIGNS Squadron Sport LED Yellow Fog Lights, BAJADESIGNS Squadron Sport LED Clear Front Spot Lights & Rear Work Lights TRD PRO Grill, TRD PRO Headlights, US Offroad Winch Mount, SmittyBilt X2O 10k Winch, RotoPax 2Gal. Fuel & Water Canisters , VIAIR Constant Duty OBA System, Custom Bussmann RTMR Panel, Total Chaos Bed Stiffeners, StopTech Slotted Rotors, TRD Brake Pads, Off-Grid Engineering Dual Battery System w/ Blue Sea 7622 ML-ACR 500 Relay, Dometic CFX40 w/ slide
    So i just priced one out at the dealer... $3800!!!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  18. Nov 30, 2013 at 8:30 PM
    toniodiaz

toniodiaz Crazy and lovely member

Member:
    First Name:
    Maruko
    Southmerica
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 TRD Sport Silver Double Cab and now 2013 SR5 TRD Sport Red Double Cab
    TRD Supercharger, TRD Catback, aFe Cold air intake system, HELLA Rallye 4000 Celis lamps, Spyder Smoke CCFL Halo projector Headlights, JBA Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers, Centric Cross Drilled Front Brake Rotors, URD smaller diameter S/C pulley, Roof Rack, Recon Tail light bar, 3" OME Leaf pack at the rear with 5100 Bilsteins and Regulable 2.75" Toytec Red Springs with 5100 Bilsteins in the front, Total Chaos UCA, Front TRD Skid Plate, Black Tube Step Bar, Black Emblems and TRD Sport Stripes decal, I JUST FINISHED MY MOD TO THE PARKING, DTR AND TURNING LIGHTS, When you hit the turning switch, DTR ad Parking lights turn of on the side the Turn signals are flashing, so they don't disturb their intensity. Everything installed with my own little hands and help of my dear friend and of course, your mods.
    Hi Yogster,
    Maybe you can help mi with my case. I have a 2011 Tacoma with JBL amp Audio System, phone bluetooth connection, sat radio, and pf course it comes with the shark roof antenna.

I would love to buy the new Premium entune 2014 radio, is it possible? Is the cable harness the same?

Thank a lot

19. Dec 1, 2013 at 9:04 AM
    yogster

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    13 Black DCLB SR5
    I'm guessing on that price. The steering wheel controls for a 2013 are around $280 depending on what dealer you go to. The 2014 pricing is not available (well, to the consumer) yet.

But the LH/RH are sold as one unit, there is only one wiring harness.

The XM tuner is not integrated into the 2014 unit I have (or, I believe, any 2014 unit). However, an aftermarket tuner designed for a 2013 will work with a 2014. The same plug is there. If you do not have a satellite antenna on your roof, you will need to use the one that comes with a kit. There is an aftermarket kit that most dealers can sell - here is one dealer's link:

http://toyotaofmcdonoughparts.net/p...a-and-scion-xm-satellite-radio-tuner-kit-2013

I've seen the above $250-$280

The OEM tuner that comes "from the factory" is this part number:

86180-0W032

This is different than the above - it is a plain silver box.

The OEM tuner is the same across most of the Toyota line. On a 2013/2014 Tacoma this would mount below the main radio.

However for the OEM tuner, you need the fit kit specific for your vehicle. This is a separate part number. The fit kit would contain the cables to connect the tuner to the main radio and a cable connect to a factory antenna. I cannot find that part number specific for a Tacoma 2013 or 2014. Other fit kits MAY work, but just have an excessive length of cable (due to their intended mounting location, like say a Camry's trunk).

The OEM tuner and fit kit are price separately, but are also in the $250-$300 range. The OEM tuner will NOT come with an antenna like the aftermarket will

To use the factory antenna with an aftermarket tuner, you need an adapter cable. VAISTech.com sells these for about $80.00

20. Dec 1, 2013 at 9:05 AM
    yogster

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    13 Black DCLB SR5

There was member selling a few on the forum - FLTrucks was his name - I believe they were dealer take-offs or something. Not sure. $450 was the price.

To Top