1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

how to plug an amplifier directly to the battery?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by bra, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Apr 7, 2009 at 11:33 PM
    bra

bra [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 AC 4X4 TRD sport
    Badges off
    Hello
    I want to add an amplifier for a subwoofer, this amplifier is only 220w of max power with a sub of 250wmax too, but for plug the amplifier, Do I NEED to go to the battery or I can plug it on the headunit wires? Because I think it doesn't need high power and I don't know how to go to the battery with the cables

2. Apr 7, 2009 at 11:57 PM
    tacomajason

tacomajason the anti mpg

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    09 ssm ac oc 6mt 4wd
    stock (for now)
    yes, you will need to go to the battery. the hu has no constant power output to support an amplifier. amplifiers are deigned to be used this way.

3. Apr 8, 2009 at 5:21 AM
    GoBlueFan

GoBlueFan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner
    Step bars, billet grill with custom TOYOTA, MB Quart RSI 216 components, Hifonics ZXi 4410, RAAMmat deadened doors/back wall/roof covered with ensolite , 24" Magnaflow muffler, hand polished stock exhaust tip, tinted, OEM TRD Bilstiens all around with 1/4" spacers up front to level it out. Sport wheels added.
    Please do not take offense with this...but with that question, it seems you really need to have someone do this for you, or have someone that knows what they are doing help you out. That's what friends are for.

An amp needs to be wired straight from the battery due to it's power requirements. The HU only triggers a small turn-on signal to turn the amp on and off. The small 12v power wires that are used to power the head unit are completely inadequate for an external amp.

4. Apr 8, 2009 at 12:30 PM
    tacomajason

tacomajason the anti mpg

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    09 ssm ac oc 6mt 4wd
    stock (for now)
    i respectfully disagree. if he is going to learn, there is no better way then research, and doing it himself.

just take your time, and don't cut corners...

5. Apr 8, 2009 at 2:58 PM
    GoBlueFan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner
    Step bars, billet grill with custom TOYOTA, MB Quart RSI 216 components, Hifonics ZXi 4410, RAAMmat deadened doors/back wall/roof covered with ensolite , 24" Magnaflow muffler, hand polished stock exhaust tip, tinted, OEM TRD Bilstiens all around with 1/4" spacers up front to level it out. Sport wheels added.
    You disagree with this?:confused:
    "it seems you really need to have someone do this for you, or have someone that knows what they are doing help you out. That's what friends are for."

He doesn't know you can't use the factory wiring to the deck for an amp, or how to run wires to the battery. Don't ya think it would be better for someone to help him out? ;)

6. Apr 8, 2009 at 6:39 PM
    tacomajason

tacomajason the anti mpg

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    09 ssm ac oc 6mt 4wd
    stock (for now)
    he knows now...

all i am saying is if he doesn't do it himself, if he runs into a problem later on down the road, or if something breaks, he's going to have a hell of a time fixing/diagnosing it if he didn't get his hands dirty...

it's not like we are talking about diving into a valve job or a transmission. if you take your time and don't cut corners, car audio is very easy to learn.

7. Apr 8, 2009 at 6:42 PM
    dually

dually Low and slow

Member:
    Interstate underpass
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno SR5 DCLB
    Yo AF dudes simmer down LOL...

Power needs to go directly to the battery, as stated above

8. Apr 8, 2009 at 6:52 PM
    tacomajason

tacomajason the anti mpg

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    09 ssm ac oc 6mt 4wd
    stock (for now)
    im idle haha, just some debate, nothing personal:eek:

9. Apr 8, 2009 at 6:53 PM
    GoBlueFan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner

I've also seen trucks/cars burned to the ground by peeps that didn't know what they were doing.;) Improper wiring can make for a bad day. No shame in having a friend help and SHOW him as he get's his hands dirty for the first time dealing with car audio.

10. Apr 8, 2009 at 6:53 PM
    kmok

kmok Plastidipped ma Hootus!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Columbus, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2005 Subaru Outback XT 5MT
    x2 its pretty simple wiring an amp I have only done it once and its not all that hard. I researched before I did it and learned exactly how to do it.

11. Apr 8, 2009 at 6:58 PM
    tacomajason

tacomajason the anti mpg

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    09 ssm ac oc 6mt 4wd
    stock (for now)
    i think we are on common ground. as long as he would be involved in the install. i guess i'm just weird about my audio. in my younger days i let worst buy do an install. i have never seen so many wire nuts and t taps in my life. needless to say, after looking at the mess a "professional" made of my poor car, i took it upon myself to learn how to do it.

12. Apr 8, 2009 at 8:58 PM
    bra

bra [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 AC 4X4 TRD sport
    Badges off
    Yes thanks guys for trust in me, I think I can do it because I just need to know how to have a cable on the engine compartment to the interior of my car, is there a special hole? Where do you think the hole is?

13. Apr 8, 2009 at 9:06 PM
    G-Sak

G-Sak Well-Known Member

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD Offroad SR5 DC 6 speed
    FX-R Projector Retrofit with Apollo Shrouds, Digital HID 55 watt ballasts, D2S Philips 85122+ bulbs in the Winter and Digital HID 55w 5k bulbs in the summer, Bakflip G2, Pop N Lock, Tint, Grillcraft with PIAAs behind it, ScanguageII and a few audio/video upgrades.
    There is a large rubber grommet where some wiring already goes through the firewall on the driver side of the truck. You may be able to fit the power wire through one of the existing holes in the grommet. I'll see if I can find some pics........

14. Apr 8, 2009 at 9:07 PM
    tacomajason

tacomajason the anti mpg

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    09 ssm ac oc 6mt 4wd
    stock (for now)
    there are several ways to do this. some people drill a hole in the firewall, install a grommet (well most people install a grommet, and all should) and run it under the carpet to the amp or distribution block. some people (including myself) run it through the floor, closer to the amp.

IMAG0045_bfb6d3255982639d3976e7295715e5cb13458ff2.jpg

first you run your wire from your fuse holder (always fuse your wire BEFORE going through any chaffing areas) down into the frame rail far enough to get to the plug, which should be right under your seat.

you cant really see the actual grommet in this picture, but you get the general location.

what i did was drill a hole in the plug (black circle thing that plugs a hole through the floor) that was slightly smaller then my wire. after that i just pushed the plug onto my wire, and pulled all the slack through then just pushed the plug back in the floor.

15. Apr 8, 2009 at 9:09 PM
    tacomajason

tacomajason the anti mpg

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    09 ssm ac oc 6mt 4wd
    stock (for now)
    are you talking about where the main harness goes through the fire wall? i looked at that, and i would be worried that trying to fit any other large guage wires through that might compromise it's "seal".

16. Apr 8, 2009 at 9:19 PM
    G-Sak

G-Sak Well-Known Member

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    FX-R Projector Retrofit with Apollo Shrouds, Digital HID 55 watt ballasts, D2S Philips 85122+ bulbs in the Winter and Digital HID 55w 5k bulbs in the summer, Bakflip G2, Pop N Lock, Tint, Grillcraft with PIAAs behind it, ScanguageII and a few audio/video upgrades.
    I ran a couple of wires through the main harness and haven't had any problems yet. There is a nipple that you can cut the end off of and run the power wire through that. It's a tight fit and seals pretty well.

I like how you ran your power wire through the floor. I though about doing that as well, but ended up doing it the other way. Is that Elemental Designs sound deadening you used? It looks like it from the picture.

The pics of the grommet I attached are from another thread about running wires for extra lights that I participated in. They are from jward2331's truck.

Fire Wall outside.jpg
    Fire wall inside.jpg

17. Apr 8, 2009 at 9:22 PM
    G-Sak

G-Sak Well-Known Member

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    Oops, I forgot to mention it might not hurt to tape off the area where the wires run through the grommet with electrical tape for extra protection.

18. Apr 8, 2009 at 9:28 PM
    tacomajason

tacomajason the anti mpg

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    09 ssm ac oc 6mt 4wd
    stock (for now)
    that looks good, but i am wondering if his amp power wire might be to large for that hole. i was figuring on him using at least 4 awg
    yup, that's edead. good eye;)

19. Apr 8, 2009 at 9:40 PM
    G-Sak

G-Sak Well-Known Member

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    You're right, the 4 gauge power wire would be a tight squeeze! There are possibilities to run it through other places on that grommet though.

I am happy with my eDead and used quite a bit on my truck. It is pretty easy to work with! :)

20. Apr 8, 2009 at 9:45 PM
    tacomajason

tacomajason the anti mpg

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    09 ssm ac oc 6mt 4wd
    stock (for now)
    that's a pic of my old 07

here is a few more:eek:

IMAG0043_08c0c2ad7b2ec88926745e250e81af68524f5599.jpg

Photo0166_5f02f685b674f7816d070304588b3eca56037b40.jpg

Photo0171_510265d63f1bbafd56de4594bb11e9ed1b7fb07e.jpg

i did the floor and the doors (layer on the skin, and a layer on the frame) and i went through about 70 sqft. your right about it being easy to work with, but i am not looking forward to doing my access cab...

Products Discussed in

To Top