1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Question about space around powered subwoofer.

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Shiloh1944, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Jul 22, 2014 at 12:55 PM
    Shiloh1944

Shiloh1944 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Louis
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD off road
    AVS Bugdeflector II, AVS Window Rain Guards, Clazzio leather seat covers, Polk Audio door speakers, Kicker Hidaway powered sub. Auto dimming mirror/compass and temp.
    I recently installed a powered subwoofer behind the drivers side rear seat of my 2014 Tacoma DC. When the seat is latched in place there isn't much room for the Kicker Hideaway Sub. My question is how much space is necessary for the sub to properly function. With the seat latched in place the sub seems to function OK but I am wondering if the space is adequate. I know the back of the seat must be very close if not almost against the powered sub.

2. Jul 22, 2014 at 3:13 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    As long as the sub isn't touching the back of the seat you'll be ok. My sub is about .5 of an inch away from the back of my seat.

From what I can tell the Kicker sub you have is protected so you should have nothing to worry about.

3. Jul 23, 2014 at 8:55 AM
    PMDclassics

PMDclassics Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Bismarck
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    I'm considering a Kicker Hideaway sub for my 2014 DC as well. The area behind the rear seat seals up pretty snug and I wondered about putting a sub back there as well. How does it sound Shiloh? Is it worth it?

4. Jul 23, 2014 at 11:07 AM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    Hideaway is good if you want a little more bass than the stock JBL sub.

5. Jul 23, 2014 at 10:23 PM
    Shiloh1944

Member:
    First Name:
    Louis
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD off road
    AVS Bugdeflector II, AVS Window Rain Guards, Clazzio leather seat covers, Polk Audio door speakers, Kicker Hidaway powered sub. Auto dimming mirror/compass and temp.
    The Kicker Hideaway sub has plenty of base for me and I have the remote turned only to about 1/3, perhaps even lower. I had to turn the base down on my HU. It will vibrate the windows. If you are sitting in the back drivers side seat it will give you a nice back massage. I also changed out my door speakers to Polk Audio so my system sounds much better for me. Probably really didn't need the Kicker sub but I had bought it so was going to use it. I like what it adds.

At first I removed the plastic storage compartment behind the drivers back seat and mounted the sub horizontally on a board that I fastened to the back of the cab but I just didn't like the way it looked even though it was hidden when the seat is up. I put the plastic storage compartment back in and mounted the sub vertically because it will not fit horizontally. It now looks a lot nicer but has less room but so far is working OK. It would have a little more room if I had not mounted it to a 3/4" piece of plywood that I fastened to the plastic storage compartment. I wanted a solid mount and didn't want it bouncing around in the back thus the 3/4" plywood.

6. Jul 28, 2014 at 7:17 PM
    Crashmaxwell

Crashmaxwell Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Crash
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    '13 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Hey Aw9d.

Did you put this in with a JBL system? I have JBL and am looking to expand the system but try not tp remove the whole thing.

7. Jul 28, 2014 at 7:26 PM
    TacoMater

TacoMater Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Clearfield Utah
    Vehicle:
    11 DCLB TRD Sport 4X4
    Kenwood DDX-512, JL HD-900, JL 13TW5 Diamond Audio Speakers Coil Over Leveling 1 3/4
    If you want the sub to breath properly, remove the hard plastic cover on the back of the seat.

8. Jul 28, 2014 at 9:05 PM
    Shiloh1944

Member:
    First Name:
    Louis
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD off road
    I don't have a hard plastic cover on the back of my seat. Just seat cover.

9. Jul 29, 2014 at 6:49 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Not necessarily a rule.... I've had one sub that sounded better with the seatback on, and one that sounded better with it off.

10. Jul 29, 2014 at 12:16 PM
    TacoMater

TacoMater Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Clearfield Utah
    Vehicle:
    11 DCLB TRD Sport 4X4
    Kenwood DDX-512, JL HD-900, JL 13TW5 Diamond Audio Speakers Coil Over Leveling 1 3/4
    Cool, I have a dclb. It was just a suggestion. . If you don't have the hard plastic nyou shouldn't have any worries.

Products Discussed in

To Top