1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Noticeable Issues on Kenwood DNX7140

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by blacksandtaco, May 6, 2009.

1. May 6, 2009 at 6:48 AM
    blacksandtaco

blacksandtaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Okay, so after numerous attempts to install it I finally got it mounted to where there are no hangups while using the 7 different tilt angles. When I first got it in, I could only get it to hit a few angles without the screen getting caught on the trim piece. I used the Scosche kit but had to mount the brackets as far forward as possible to make it work. Everything works great but I noticed a few things that I wasn't happy with.

1. While the treble is noticeably better, the bass is not. In fact this head unit seems to put out less bass than my 07 tacoma stock radio (no JBL). I've played around with the bass extension, bass boost, equalizer, speaker setup, HPF crossover and everything else I can think of, but can't seem to get anymore bass. This unit has the 5 band graphic equilizer. I assume that the far left band (62.5 Hz) is the bass setting since it is the lowest frequency. I jack that sucker up to 9db (highest level) and still not much bass. Funny thing is, I never had to take it higher than +3 on the stock radio and got twice the bass. Has anyone else had this problem with the Kenwood DNX models?

2. The bluetooth syncs well with my phone but I can't get the SMS function to work and the volume output from the speakers is very low during phone calls. Again, I've messed with every setting possible but can't figure it out. I guess I can just turn it up to full volume when talking to people but I wouldn't figure a person should have to do that in order to use a "handsfree" function like this.

3. While it is advertised that this model allows upgradeable map data for GPS via SD card, the manual says that this option is only available for the DNX9140. Apparently the 7140 requires updates via DVD. Does anyone know whether this is true?

4. While listeing to music on a CD, the screen shows an option to transition to a full screen, blue background with a couple little flashy star looking things (don't know how else to describe it). I'm guessing this is the default background when there is no album art available. Just wondering if anyone has noticed anything different than the boring, oldschool blue background and whether you can change it by uploading your own pic or album art.

While the last problem is really minor, I'm very disappointed in the first 3 issues. I would think that a head unit as expensive as this would leave me no room for disatisfaction. If anyone else has experienced anything like this with this model or any of the DNX models I would appreciate hearing your thoughts.

2. Sep 8, 2009 at 6:35 PM
    skidplate

skidplate Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 taco TRD
    I just had my DNX7140 installed a few weeks back. There are some "quirks" but all in all it is pretty good.
    Answering by the numbers with what I have experienced.
    1) The EQ levels seem to work out fine for me. I didn't expect much improvement with the stock speakers and I wasn't disappointed. I resigned my self to the fact that I will need new speakers if I want the sound to be better. You can't polish a turd...
    2)There is a setting in the bluetooth set up for volume. Also I messed myself up the first day by pressing the zone button. It disabled the rear speakers for another source.
    3) yes this model you need to do it via a CD :(

I was disappointed in the USB connection. Mine was taken up by the I touch so I went back in there and installed a USB hub and ran the second cable parallel to the Itouch.

3. Sep 9, 2009 at 10:54 AM
    lembowski

lembowski Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Rolando, CA
    Vehicle:
    Jeeper Creeper
    Wow I didn't think about a USB hub for that, so you can use the ipod and a usb thumbdrive at the same time? I have the DNX6140 and love it soo far. I have a Blackberry Tour 9630 and I can seem to figure out the SMS feature either.

4. Sep 9, 2009 at 11:09 AM
    jnolan88

jnolan88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    the 6140 is a pretty good unit, that is what i am running also. i just wish it had the tilt option. but i do like having a volume nob. plus i got a module to let me use the controls on the steering wheel.

Products Discussed in

To Top