1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

In Dash PC Question / Subwoofer Question

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by sitesjc, May 13, 2009.

1. May 13, 2009 at 8:19 PM
    sitesjc

sitesjc [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport
    Hi everyone,
    I must admit, I'm a first time poster, but definitely not a first time reader... There have been some excellent posts out there!

Anyhow, I am toying around with the idea of getting/creating an in-dash pc for my 05 Tacoma (extended cab/TRD). Does anyone have any advice on what to look for/where to get it? Has anyone put one in (and could offer advice/pix)? -And yes, I have tried searching the forums for examples.

I'm also considering mounting my old subwoofers in the truck, but from what I've seen the max you can put in are 10's. I have some 12s, and think I can build my own enclosure, but likely won't get much space for resonance... $.01 for your thoughts.

Thanks in advance! :)

2. May 13, 2009 at 8:29 PM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
  3. May 13, 2009 at 8:31 PM
    sitesjc

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport
    Thanks! I've been checking out MP3car's offerings... Looks like thats the place to shop. But it has definitely been difficult locating any Tacoma examples.

4. May 13, 2009 at 8:46 PM
    afd23a

afd23a Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    I picked up an O'rielly book at a used bookstore on the subject.
    http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596008710/

Later I found the mp3car forum. I've been thinking about using a Mac mini, but this project is down at the bottom of my list right now.

5. May 14, 2009 at 9:02 AM
    Mr Marv

Mr Marv 1-831-383-0308 7am-10pm pst Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Marv
    Monterey Bay California
    Vehicle:
    Custom Built Enclosures/speaker adapters etc
    I can't help you with the PC but if you let me know the make/model of the subs (a link to the owners manual would be great) I may be able to help you determine if you can get those to fit/work at their optimum.

6. May 14, 2009 at 3:51 PM
    sitesjc

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport
    Hey, thanks for the assistance! I couldn't locate the exact match of the subwoofer (I couldn't even find a serial number on the speakers themselves), but I did find some pretty similar ones here:
    http://www.memphiscaraudio.com/products/subwoofers/power-reference-subwoofers/

Click on either of the 12" Power Reference Models (they show a mounting depth of 5.4"). Those are not the exact matches, but they appear pretty close.

Thanks!

7. May 14, 2009 at 10:42 PM
    acozzens

acozzens Well-Known Member

Member:
    98056 , washington state
    Vehicle:
    06 4d 4wd trd sr5 silver
    Michelin ltx m/s WSU (cougs) License Plate Holder $1.99 Gate Theft Mod DIY HU install DIY SWI-JACK install DIY rear speaker & baffle DIY ipod audio/video interface DIY HD radio DIY Alpine pdx 5 DIY front components install DIY RedLine Tuning Gas hood lift ( very slick ) DIY slimcubby gb hid head/fog DIY extang trifold trifecta DIY dynolock tailgate lock
    SiteSJC....

I'm a tech nerd inside my house, which trickles into my car.."somewhat"...
    May I ask what you're trying to achieve with a PC in the car ?

I can't figure out the benefits.... of course it's a personal choice, and it all depends on how you will use the technology...

Without a PC in my dash, I have the ability to access ALL my music AND movies simply by using my iPod classic 160 gb. At minimum my entire media library is available with a iPod friendly HU that has USB and an adapter cable.
    What more are you looking for ?

Not being a smartass, just don't understand the need for this with options much less expensive and equally as effective.

With iPods, usb inputs, navigation I can't think of what else I would want a computer in my taco for.

8. May 15, 2009 at 6:59 AM
    Hotdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    Wet Okole Underwear
    An in dash PC doesn't have to be expensive. I could probably do the PC for about $700.

Pros
    Upgradeable/Changeable GPS software
    Touchscreen
    Ability to make small changes(like motherboard, hard drive, ram)
    Virtually Unlimited hard drive capacity
    Ability to get full internet access if required
    Simple interface to browse music while driving
    Ability to interface OBDII screen into the dash
    Ability to automate functions (like lock doors when driving)
    Ability to do a rear view or front view cameras

Other thoughts
    I don't have an ipod, I have a zune. There are no zune compatible head units.
    Even if I had an ipod, I'd rather not browse 160gb worth of music on a small screen when I'm supposed to be driving.
    I can do most of these things with other headunits, but it is hard to do them cheaply and nothing will do all of them.

9. May 15, 2009 at 8:18 AM
    acozzens

Member:
    98056 , washington state
    Vehicle:
    06 4d 4wd trd sr5 silver
    Michelin ltx m/s WSU (cougs) License Plate Holder $1.99 Gate Theft Mod DIY HU install DIY SWI-JACK install DIY rear speaker & baffle DIY ipod audio/video interface DIY HD radio DIY Alpine pdx 5 DIY front components install DIY RedLine Tuning Gas hood lift ( very slick ) DIY slimcubby gb hid head/fog DIY extang trifold trifecta DIY dynolock tailgate lock

To each his/her own. I'm not feeling it at all....
    Maybe in the year 2090 or so.. I have a technology breakthru for you on the iPod. Make some playlists, you wouldn't browse that much storage on a large PC screen while driving either..
    I always laugh when people brag about their XXX hundred gb of music because I have a hard time thinking anyone is more organized with their ipod collection than I am. And I have maybe 20-30 gb of music. everything is organized, rated/sorted/appropriate artist etc...

40,000 songs (approx 160gb ) ???
    That's ridiculous(bad ridiculous) amount of music considering most listen to about 10% of that. I think you aint' gonna manage that ANYWHERE, ANYTIME.. and that is the truth.

regarding the Zune, technically it is compatible with any HU that has red/white RCA... in fact you can get video out of it too(if video input yellow rca) because I have personally done that as well. Downside is you must control via the device not HU though, so you'd have to start A PLAYLIST then just drive.

Anyways, you can see what I think about it :) The only thing kind of cool about the pros of the pc might be the obdii interface ( which is cool maybe ONCE when you NEED IT, also cool is updateable GPS.
    Lol, but you ain't gonna check your hotmail while driving either :)

goodluck OP, losocee I think your logic is flawed....
    OP--> think about how you will REALLY use your vehicle....

10. May 15, 2009 at 8:38 AM
    Hotdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    Wet Okole Underwear
    I'm too lazy to keep playlists up to date. I generally just go select and artist and an album. My music should consider itself lucky to have ID tags.

I know the zune can be hooked up via an aux input, but I'm not browsing the zune when driving. I would also rather not have to worry about it being charged or brought to the car.

hotmail :laugh: No, I won't be checking while driving. A few times a month I find myself wanting to get a full size webpage instead of using my phone. I will be able to plug in my phone wherever to get internet access or I could find a wifi hotspot.

With regards to the other features, many of the TW users have some form of OBDII reader always in their car. I have one that I use to track my MPG and a get a pseudo outdoor temperature. There are a few other features that I use it for as well.

I can manage without a rearview camera right now, but I'm always nervous that I didn't check for those low poles around parking areas or small children running around. However, eventually, I will be getting a camper shell, then I will really want a camera.

I'm always worried about committing to to an in dash GPS head unit because I'm worried that the GPS won't operate in a way that I like or the maps will be out of date.

11. May 15, 2009 at 8:46 AM
    Hotdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    Wet Okole Underwear
    and really the bottom line for me is that I will eventually be choosing spending the money on a fancy head unit like the dnx8120 for about $1200(plus another $200 for the backup camera) or I could get an in dash PC that will have all the functionality (and then some) for about $700. I already have two old headunits laying around that I will be using to do the radio and power the audio.

12. May 15, 2009 at 9:03 AM
    acozzens

Member:
    98056 , washington state
    Vehicle:
    06 4d 4wd trd sr5 silver
    As long as you love the setup that's the bottom line right there !
    Good discussion, and i'm glad you mentioned your playlist management, I find that is VERY common. Because most people are not like me and willing to spend MANY MANY Hours organizing their music collection. But let me tell you, when it's done well, it is slick and iTunes can work for you not against you....

Hope the OP is getting something out of our discussion lol..

later lsocoee

13. May 15, 2009 at 6:58 PM
    81shark

81shark Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Base Access CP1
    just because you have a lot of gigs, doesn't mean you have a lot of songs. i have a 120gig ipod. i bought it not to hold 30,000 songs, but rather 6,000 maybe, but i still need the space, because i like to rip at high bit rates to keep as much of the music as possible. most people rips take about 1 meg per minute of song. mine typically run at 5 megs per minute. the bit rate is about 1K vs. 256 to 320 that most people use.

i've tried ripping at lower rates, but it doesn't sound nearly as good.

14. Jun 13, 2009 at 6:40 PM
    xmadcowx

xmadcowx Old man club. Sold out to Ford.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    19 Raptor/21 Bronco. 12 OR sold. 05 xrunner sold.
    Functional
    Got carded at Home Depot today, figured this would be a good thread to start in. I am the guy with the 10" touchscreen, computer, etc installed in the truck. Won't have another car without one. Ill make a separate thread with pics and specs, but, just dropping int to say hi for now.

I have some projects I need to finish around the house this weekend, but I will do my best to upload pics of the pc install, etc. Nice to see another tacoma site, CT is slowing going downhill every since the autoforums sale.

Products Discussed in

To Top