1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Speakers that will fit in front and rear of 2nd gen

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Hardcorehehaw, May 17, 2009.

1. May 17, 2009 at 12:48 PM
    Hardcorehehaw

Hardcorehehaw [OP] 1 man wolf pack

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray PreRunner
    Debadged, 20" Liquid Metal Magmas, Yokohama Parada Spec x 285/50/20, Llumar clear bra, Fold-A-Cover G4, Weathertech liners, Wet Okole seat covers, JBS technologies keyless entry keypad.
    I have an 09 Double cab, I want a set of decent coaxials that I can put up front.
    Later on, after I've saved up the money, I'd like to move those same coaxials to the back and purchase some components and an amp for the front.
    So my question is, what size coaxials should I get that will fit up front and in the back.. if there even is 1 size that will fit both.

2. May 17, 2009 at 1:23 PM
    tussery

tussery Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corpus Christi, Tx
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5
    Magnaflow muffler, TRD CAI.
    6.5" speakers will fit in the front and back with speaker adapters.

3. May 17, 2009 at 1:38 PM
    Hardcorehehaw

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Vehicle:
    Debadged, 20" Liquid Metal Magmas, Yokohama Parada Spec x 285/50/20, Llumar clear bra, Fold-A-Cover G4, Weathertech liners, Wet Okole seat covers, JBS technologies keyless entry keypad.
    Cool, thanks for the fast reply.
    These have great reviews, I was thinking about getting them:
    Infinity Reference 6022si
    http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1086022SI/Infinity-Reference-6022si.html?o=r&showAll=N&tp=105
    $78 shipped with speaker adapters and wiring harness adapters.

Or I can get them on ebay for $57 shipped.
    Does anyone know about these? I would feel comfortable spending a little bit more money... however since I'm eventually only going to use them for rear fill I might as well save some money while I can.

I was thinking about going with something really nice for components up front later on. Boston Acoustics or MB Quart or maybe even Focal...
    But I don't really want to mix and match, i dunno... :confused:

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  4. May 17, 2009 at 2:30 PM
    Hardcorehehaw

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Vehicle:
    And you're happy I assume? Do you have an amp for the components and coax's as well?
    What about Headunit and Subs?

5. May 17, 2009 at 3:53 PM
    tussery

tussery Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corpus Christi, Tx
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5
    Magnaflow muffler, TRD CAI.
    I just installed 4 of the 6022si Infinity's in my mothers Liberty with a Kenwood head unit and they sound pretty good.

6. May 19, 2009 at 7:06 AM
    ChrisL

ChrisL Member

Member:
    Slidell, LA
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl cab, TRD, 4X4
    I recently installed new speakers in my 07 dbl cab. Put infinity components in the front(Infinity Reference 6020cs). And JVC Arsenal coaxials for the rear(JVC Arsenal CS-AR500). Ordered all through crutchfield. The reason i'm posting is to tell you to make sure the speakers will fit the rear. Not sure if it's correct or not, but I was told by a crutchfield advisor that I was limited on the rear door speakers due to clearance. And that is why I went with the Arsenal speakers for the rear, otherwise I would have liked to have all infinity speakers.

I also amped up the front component speakers, makes them nice and loud!

7. May 19, 2009 at 6:54 PM
    acozzens

acozzens Well-Known Member

Member:
    98056 , washington state
    Vehicle:
    06 4d 4wd trd sr5 silver
    Michelin ltx m/s WSU (cougs) License Plate Holder $1.99 Gate Theft Mod DIY HU install DIY SWI-JACK install DIY rear speaker & baffle DIY ipod audio/video interface DIY HD radio DIY Alpine pdx 5 DIY front components install DIY RedLine Tuning Gas hood lift ( very slick ) DIY slimcubby gb hid head/fog DIY extang trifold trifecta DIY dynolock tailgate lock
    yup, 6.5"s..

my front component mid is 6.5" image dynamics ctx65s (components )
    and my rears are polk db651s 6.5"

under no circumstances should you mount your nice aftermarket speakers without those nice big thick baffle.. that would be a waste, a bad waste..
    If you don't mind a non-sexy appearance, then you can make them.
    For my rears I roughly traced onto thick cardboard the outline

I made my rears out of some B.S. I found at lowes. eventually i'll re do them.. my fronts I had made and they're nice, my rears are ghetto but effective..
    http://s206.photobucket.com/albums/bb256/aozzens/2006 Tacoma Rear Speakers/?albumview=slideshow

IMG_0320_58fe9b8f1e09f79a6330dce2765fe288ba9db06b.jpg

8. Jun 9, 2009 at 5:30 PM
    Nick_c10

Nick_c10 Member

Member:
    just a question, I know the factory front door speakes in a double cab are 6x9's, why does everyone put in 6 1/2"s with an adapter? Why not just put in a better 6x9? I'm about to upgrade my system and need some input on what size speakers to put in my doors.

9. Jun 9, 2009 at 7:00 PM
    kxhansen

kxhansen Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Staten Island, NY
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Dbl Cab SR5 6spd Silver
    WeatherTech window deflectors WeatherTech floor liners (front) and mats (rear) Alpine 9886 Pop n Lock 5300 Fold a Cover G4 GT Covers seat covers
    I had a pair of Infinity 6x9s in my Explorer (replaced the "JBL" speakers and really liked them.........I just got a pair of Infinity 6020cs for the front of my 2009 dbl cab. I also got an Alpine 9886 HU......will get rear speakers, sub and amp later. I got the components for the front first because those are what you really hear when you are in the drivers seat <g>. I intend to get coaxial for the back....if you read some of the threads, there is some discussion as to whether rear speakers are even needed.

I installed the Alpine this weekend - it's louder than the stock radio, but boy do the OEM speakers sound like crap - I can't even play it that loud because the speakers sound so bad. I will be installing the Infinitys this weekend. I ordered from Crutchfield and they give you free speaker adapter/mounts, but they are cheap plastic. I got some 3/4" mdf and will make my own mounts.

There are a number of good write-ups about how to upgrade you sound system.....go to the Audio forum and take a look. you might want to start with this one:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/au...uble-cab-complete-audio-install-tutorial.html

As far as 6x9 vs 6.5 I think it comes down to a personal choice (although I think most components are 6.5).

If you deal with crutchfield, they may tell you that certain speakers don't fit (they say that no 6x9s fit the front), but I think it is a clearance issue.....the speaker mounts they provide are thin plastic.....if you make you own mounts, I believe the clearance issues will go away. But you have to make sure <g>

Good luck

10. Nov 15, 2009 at 9:58 PM
    Canadianboy

Canadianboy Taco love in East Van

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport S/B 4x4 Auto in Mag Grey
    Icon Stage 3, Goodyear Duratracs and KMC Addicts!
    Wondering the same thing??? I've been searching, but I can't figure out if I should go 6 1/2 or 6x9??:confused: I'm just going to be replacing my speakers - no sub and utilizing the stock h/u

11. Nov 21, 2009 at 12:41 PM
    Canadianboy

Canadianboy Taco love in East Van

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport S/B 4x4 Auto in Mag Grey
    Icon Stage 3, Goodyear Duratracs and KMC Addicts!

Products Discussed in

To Top