1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

FM transmitters for MP3 Players

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by BlueTaco, Dec 16, 2007.

1. Dec 16, 2007 at 5:12 PM
    BlueTaco

BlueTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Long Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Speedwayblue
    Want to know if FM Transmitters are worth using for mp3 players. i heard the sound quality is poor, but how bad? I have an aftermarket to install, but im not sure if i want to, i like the looks with the stock HU.

2. Dec 16, 2007 at 6:14 PM
    ZonKs

ZonKs Can speak french in Russian.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Sport DCSB 4x4
    =p
    Ive tried a few and they are absolutely HORRIBLE. Pay the extra $$ and have it hard wired.

Ted

3. Dec 16, 2007 at 6:30 PM
    rhoppas

rhoppas Land of Oz

Member:
    Topeka, KS
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab V6 TRD Sport Tow
    Earnhardt Cannons, Terra Grapplers, Viper alarm, Hunter4x4 Bull Bar, 6" Pro Comp Off-Road lights, extra set of bed D-rings, Chrome exhaust tip, Metra Ipod/MP3 adapter, Garmin GPS, CarriageWorks grill, Maglite mounted to driver seat, 9" Stubbie Antenna, WeatherTech floor liners, Saddleman Neoprene seat covers, DeeZee bed mat
    I put up with FM transmitters for a couple years. There is a lot of variation between brands as far as channel reception. They sound ok but not like hard-wired. After my third FM transmitter I found one that worked fairly well but it cost me nearly $50. Once I got on this site I found out about the Metra adapter. It also costs $50. It connects right into the back of the stock head unit and sounds sooo much better. Takes about 30 minutes to install. Check out the following thread.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/audio-video/3767-installed-metra-ipod-mp3-adapter.html

4. Dec 16, 2007 at 7:00 PM
    PatheticJoe

PatheticJoe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 TRD Sport - Access Cab
    I used 2 different ones for years and I had no issues and they were a great way to get around hard wiring. The first one I had was called an Irock and the second was by Belkin I think. They were a bit of a pain on long trips especially in big cities but locally it was easy to find a clean frequency.

I now have my Ipod hard wired and the great advantage is to use the headunit to navigate the Ipod so hard wired is the way to go but an FM transmitter will work just fine if you go that route.

5. Dec 16, 2007 at 7:26 PM
    L_Jackson

L_Jackson Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2007 Black Sand Pearl PreRunner Acce
    Tinted Windows, Tow Hitch, 3" Toytec Lift, American Racing Outlaw II Wheels, Cooper Discoverer 33's, Aries Bull Bar w/ (2) 5" Lights, Nerf Bars, Fog Lights as DTR Lights, Roll Bar w/ (4) 5" Lights, Sony Speakers, 2 Extra Tie Downs
    i had the fm transmitter in the taco for an ipod and HATED it....

got my wife a sirus radio thing and to hard wire was gonna be a mess. i bought a fm transmitter booster antenna thing off ebay for a couple bucks and to my suprise it helped ALOT... it is actually pretty clear.

if you live in a big city with a ton of radio stations you will have more interferance than a smaller community....

just my thoughts on it.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  6. Dec 16, 2007 at 7:33 PM
    Nitro_rc

Nitro_rc Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DoubleCab TRD Sport 4X4
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  7. Dec 16, 2007 at 8:28 PM
    MotoXFreeStyle61

MotoXFreeStyle61 Displaced Texan

Member:
    San Antonio TX
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5 4Cyl, Access Cab, 5
    Black Head Light Mod, Tacoma All Weather Mats, ScanGauge II, Tonnaeu Bed Cover, 40% Tint, Added Fog Lights, 600W x 1 Alpine MRP-M650 Amp, Alpine 10" Type-R SWR-1022D Sub, Secondary Air Filter Removed, Day Time Running Lights, K&N Drop In Air Filter (oiled), Westin Bullbar (Black Powder), Alpine IVA-W505 w/Nav, JL Audio 6.5" Front Speakers, Toyota SR5 Seat Covers, 2.5" Toytec Spacer
    Never go FM transmitter. They sound worse than the FM radio, because most of the time it is fighting with other FM stations.

8. Dec 17, 2007 at 8:16 PM
    tigerdongal

tigerdongal Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD SPORT
    Memphis PR Amp, Memphis 10" Sub, Custom Sub-box, Undcover tonneau, Pioneer DEH-P7900BT, USB Adaptor, Steering Column Adapter, Crossfire Car Audio XP2402 on the speakers. Now with dB Platinums and also custom tweeter mounts!
    Look into the bluetooth transmitters, theres a lot of them out there. And they are clearer in signal, scorche make a few.

9. Dec 17, 2007 at 10:15 PM
    BlueTaco

Member:
    Long Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Speedwayblue
    one problem though, i dont use ipod, i use zune and i can't seem to find any hardwires for it.

10. Dec 18, 2007 at 8:42 AM
    spp

spp OC, Kalifornia

Member:
    OC California
    I'm in the same boat. Only option is to use aux input type of devices without direct docking.
    We've tried several FM units and way too many stations in this area for them to work. Maybe if we lived in the FRICKING desert.:eek:

11. Dec 18, 2007 at 8:30 PM
    BlueTaco

Member:
    Long Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Speedwayblue
    well looks like im stuck into changing the headunit (the wife is going to be mad) =(

12. Dec 19, 2007 at 2:05 PM
    spp

spp OC, Kalifornia

Member:
    OC California
    That still won't help you with the Zune any more than the other solutions above.

13. Dec 20, 2007 at 6:23 AM
    BlueTaco

Member:
    Long Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Speedwayblue
    why not? this way ill have a aux port to plug into...

14. Dec 20, 2007 at 6:26 AM
    argm31i

argm31i Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Metra adapter that's been discussed on here a few times has an input for both an Ipod and for other devices...rhoppas posted a link to that thread above, and I know someone on there said they used an "other than Ipod" device and it worked for them. I do have an Ipod, and that's what I've got in my truck, and I couldn't be happier after far less than stellar performance from FM transmitters, etc. that I'd used in the past.

15. Dec 20, 2007 at 9:53 AM
    spp

spp OC, Kalifornia

Member:
    OC California
    True but that can be done by adding the usa spec or simular device to your existing Headunit.

16. Dec 20, 2007 at 12:35 PM
    rhoppas

rhoppas Land of Oz

Member:
    Topeka, KS
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab V6 TRD Sport Tow
    Earnhardt Cannons, Terra Grapplers, Viper alarm, Hunter4x4 Bull Bar, 6" Pro Comp Off-Road lights, extra set of bed D-rings, Chrome exhaust tip, Metra Ipod/MP3 adapter, Garmin GPS, CarriageWorks grill, Maglite mounted to driver seat, 9" Stubbie Antenna, WeatherTech floor liners, Saddleman Neoprene seat covers, DeeZee bed mat
    I assume there is a headphone jack on the Zune. The Metra will plug right into the headphone jack. It sounds very good. You will have to use the Zune to control your tunes but that is no big deal...

Products Discussed in

To Top